Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Looking for some clarifications. Did not see consensus on the forums rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Thrall
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
I'm new to the game and was looking over the aliens and flares. I have some questions on a few specific combinations. Some of these were asked 8+ years ago here, but I did not see any sort of consensus.

1) Tripler wile flare (As a main player, after your opponent reveals an attack card of 15 or higher, you may divide that attack card’s value by 3 (rounded up) before any other effects are applied.)
How does this play out with something like Morph played by the opponent? Normally I would assume the Morph would apply first, then the flare would apply to that value. However, the flare specifically states "before any other effects are applied".

2) The good old Anti-Matter & Virus encounter.
I've seen compelling arguments for a number of ways of how an encounter between these two play out.

2a) Same as above, except add in the Virus SuperFlare.
This is also very ambiguous. I'm leaning towards the Virus' total being Card * (#VirusShips - #AllyShips), but again, a lot of other formulas also seem plausible.

I had a few more, but these 3 really stood out to me in the base game.

I apologize if these have been answered with finality in the past. The only threads I saw on these just sort of died off without a community-agreed conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, it's before other effects, but it's after revealing an attack card, which can only happen after the morph does it's thing. So yes, the flare would then modify the morph's assumed value (if it's 15 or higher).

2) Ant--matter's total is calculated as specified. Virus's is (card x Virus's ships) - Virus's allies. Low total wins. Good time for Virus to use just one ship.

3) I don't remember what Super Virus does, and I don't have time to look it up now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding 2a) here's some discussion that maybe you've already read, or maybe not. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/609533/one-more-rehashexpla...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
3: I thought Virus's super was (ships+allies)*card? Which is weird vs antimatter since activating it apparently cancels out the way Anti-matter makes allies -. That, or you do it as (ships-allies)*card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's correct, I'd say Super-Virus's total vs Anti-Matter would then be (Virus's ships - allies' ships) x Card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would say that Morph is not an effect that is applied, it simply (and instantly) becomes a copy of the opponents attack card as soon as they are revealed. In which case any maths-like powers are applied after the morph.

I’m not sure I understand the problem with Antimatter Vs Virus. It’s straightforward, isn’t it? Anitmatter subtracts his ships and allies from his card. Virus multiplies his card by his ships. The lowest total wins. Where is the stumbling block here? Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryucoo wrote:
I’m not sure I understand the problem with Antimatter Vs Virus. It’s straightforward, isn’t it? Anitmatter subtracts his ships and allies from his card. Virus multiplies his card by his ships. The lowest total wins. Where is the stumbling block here? Am I missing something?

I think it gets tricky when the Super Virus flare is used...See the thread I linked to above for the multiple ways of interpreting this situation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.