4 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question regarding PDF and moving enemy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From 6.2.3 in the manual "If a lone enemy unit on the same card with a friendly unit and its VOF marker moves to another card in LOS, any friendly
fire against that unit follows the unit to the new card and a PDF
marker is placed."

Would the friendly unit on the original card be the only one that could "follow" the moving enemy unit? Or would a unit on an adjacent card already firing at the enemy also be allowed to shift fire? This rule seems to allow the adjacent one to adjust also, but then I see this later:

Example #5 from the Advanced Tutorial (page 11): A lone enemy unit (sniper) moves away but still in LOS… We extend the VOF of the US units in the R2C2 Hedgerow/Bocage into the Sniper’s hex. This is the only case in which a US unit can “follow” a moving enemy unit—when the move extends within range and along the unit’s PDF. So we place an Automatic Weapons VOF on the Sniper’s new card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Would the friendly unit on the original card be the only one that could "follow" the moving enemy unit? Or would a unit on an adjacent card already firing at the enemy also be allowed to shift fire? This rule seems to allow the adjacent one to adjust also, but then I see this later:

Only the same-card unit will follow the Enemy as it moves. I'll need to clarify this in the errata.

Quote:
Example #5 from the Advanced Tutorial (page 11): A lone enemy unit (sniper) moves away but still in LOS… We extend the VOF of the US units in the R2C2 Hedgerow/Bocage into the Sniper’s hex. This is the only case in which a US unit can “follow” a moving enemy unit—when the move extends within range and along the unit’s PDF. So we place an Automatic Weapons VOF on the Sniper’s new card.

This example is representative of "the only case . . . " as described in 6.2.3.

Best,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smittyohio wrote:
From 6.2.3 in the manual "If a lone enemy unit on the same card with a friendly unit and its VOF marker moves to another card in LOS, any friendly
fire against that unit follows the unit to the new card and a PDF
marker is placed."

Yes and No to units on other cards, they will still fire along their PDF and you will have to shift fire to change their target.

This is the reverse of the situation when an enemy enters your card you lose PDF out of it and place VoF (multiple if enemy can fire on you) on your card. Here the lone enemy has moved whilst you are tracking him so in this case you don't have to cease fired or shift fire , it is automatic due to proximity.

It is one sentence so it is referring to the same card as in my bold for added text
" , any friendly fire , from the same card, against that unit follows the unit to the new card and a PDF marker is placed."

English wise the subject and object of a sentence shouldn't change within the sentence. Like saying smittyohio quoted from the rules ............, they demonstrate......

We know they refers to the rules he quoted.

The sniper and the lone unit are on the same card so technically only one case as he sniper is on your cardwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
Quote:

Only the same-card unit will follow the Enemy as it moves. I'll need to clarify this in the errata.

Quote:

This example is representative of "the only case . . . " as described in 6.2.3.

Best,
Ricky

Oops answering at same time but taking longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.