Subject: Any tips for the first play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Igor Bilanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be a 3 player game, my biggest question is can I use printed rules instead of living ones for simplicity's sake? Or are there some crucial rule changes in them? (without expansion in picture, since we won't be using it for now).

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch the teach and playthrough from Heavy Cardboard on youtube. Its a complex game and nit an easy teach. It is super opaque so make sure to reasure players that is is OK to feel overwelmed. There are some good player aids you can print out as well which I used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eva01iastate wrote:
Watch the teach and playthrough from Heavy Cardboard on youtube. Its a complex game and nit an easy teach. It is super opaque so make sure to reasure players that is is OK to feel overwelmed. There are some good player aids you can print out as well which I used.

^^ This. ... FYI, there are 2 playthrough, both with teaches.
The 4p session has a few errors (see if you can catch them!).
Both are excellent sessions though.

You can use the PRINTED RULES, sure ... but you might find that the LIVING RULES will clear up some questions. It's easy enough to print the Living Rules on a home printer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome to the Best Game Ever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanguy Serra
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My advice is twofold:
- learn the victory conditions conceptually which is about having more of a certain type of cards in your tableau - and then park them -

- then just play cards - don't look for a strategy - don't look to "accomplish something" - just play the cards and learn the mechanics and the flow/pace of the game - the game is tremendously elegant and things happen and after a couple of turns things kind of feel interesting and a story is being written -

Then after a handful or turns - try and go back to the victory conditions - and figure out how to insert yourself into the story -

The key is understanding you are not a nation, you are not a cause, you are trying to maximize your influence on the winning factions -

For me, Phil Eklund is a genius -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest path I've found after the basics is to put the emphasis on the Regime cards, starting by explaining Coronations.

Understanding that they need X regime cards to win one of the victory conditions, and that one Regime card can be used to get another (with money and Campaign ops), and how they move from the stack to tableaus is a core concept in the game, even if they're not actually the most important element. (I typically use a phrase like "What I'm about to tell you isn't true, the Regime cards are the most important cards in the game").

This should give you the basic mechanics, and the tempo of victory (i.e., you need money and an action to claim victory, so if you're wealthy, and in a winning state at the turn start, it's reasonably easy to win. That means the game is about watching all the other players, and stopping this pre-emptively).

From there, it feels like it's easier to grasp that there are other methods of gaining regime cards, and how you can flip them to and from Republics, which ties into victory condition two, picking up one-shots and similar along the way.

Then, covering the other two (three, including ties) victory conditions, including Religious, which I'll leave until last. The concept of Theocracies should already be covered by Regime changes in general and Conspiracies in particular, so that part should be reasonably simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I refuse to believe this game can be taught correctly, so just dive in and fail. People will probably want to play again anyhow and then you can get things right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found these files to be pretty handy:

This one is essential for me as I look at all the time as it's only 2 pages
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/138624/pax-renaissance-pl...

This one is excellent too and I use it when I have a question to clarify the above before digging into the living rules
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140016/pax-renaissance-ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Keglovitz
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:

This one is excellent too and I use it when I have a question to clarify the above before digging into the living rules

+1. These are both excellent aids. As mentioned above, the playthrough by Heavy Cardboard is a huge help -- those guys do a great job explaining everything.

I would also agree that using the first game just to understand the flow of the game is a good idea. I found that I didn't really understand the interactions until I played a couple solo, 2-handed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewdoull wrote:
I'd even go so far as to just activate Imperial victory at the start, and call the game with comets the 'advanced game'. This means you don't have to explain any of the prestige icons on the cards.

That's actually really tempting. It would mean that a lot of the mechanisms in the game are skewed, but everything should still work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive taught with and without player aids. Player aids here on BGG were a MUCH better experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Bilanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to report that the game went great and everyone loved it. We had few rule errors, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We already made plans for the next game whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Trout
Australia
Jewells
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Every Gamer's Guild
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:

The link to the first file is no longer working. Without the link its hard to tell whether the file is available in some other form or not. Do you know if there's another version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.