Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm working on adding some 3D elements to my TMNT Shadows of The Past game, I thought it would be good to consolidate some pics/dimensions/materials for others wanting to do something similar. I'd also like to hear some of what YOU have done as it will help to give me ideas and improve on what I've done.
To be honest, I never saw the kickstarter for this game last year, and I'm not sure I would have jumped in based on the stretch goals even if I had. But I am very happy I bought the retail version. The game itself has really great mechanics and is chock full of Ameri-trash goodness (I am all about the trash). It absolutely begs for some 3D board elements and I'm surprised they never materialized on the kickstarter.
The figures are strange looking because they are Heroclix on 1" bases and I'm scaling everything to them (approx. 1/52 or 32mm foot to eyes). I've listed toward the bottom other token replacements which I will append later. But here is what I have done so far:

Car Tokens (Slow Terrain): Due to the difficulty in finding 1/50 scale vehicles as well as something that the minis can stand on, I made my own out of stacked and carved basswood painted to look like cars. They are made to a 1/52 scale, except front to back they are a bit stubbier to fit in the 2 square spaces.

Storage Containers (Elevated Terrain): "To scale" shipping containers, even small 20' ones would extend over 4.5" on the game board (almost 4 squares). So I made smaller "pods" type storage containers so they look to be in scale. The doors are removable. (Not sure why I took the time to make them that way). They are made out of cardboard and measure 2.25"L x 1.75"H x 1.5" W (57mm x 45mm x 38mm)

Dumpster Tokens (Covered and Elevated Terrain): I couldn't find any “O” scale (1/48) dumpsters that weren't $10+ ea. And I couldn't determine if those would actually work for the game. So these are made out of poplar dowling carved and painted to look like “waste management” trash dumpsters. I originally made a couple of “to-scale” 4-yard versions and realized that stacking 2 together took way too much space length-wise (A dumpster measures about 7' wide in real life.) I could have stacked them back to back and they would have fit fine in 2 spaces and been perfect for the minis to stand on, but I've never seen dumpsters oriented that way IRL. My first instinct would have been to “shrink” them, but instead decided to stretch them on width so they would be able to support 2 miniatures spanning 2 squares and this reduced the quantity required by half so win-win for me. The tops slope like 4 yard dumpsters do, but it isn't steep enough that the minis slide off. It also might help that there is a bit of “texture” to the tops. They measure 1” f-b x 1.062” H x 1.937” wide ( 25mm x 27mm x 49mm).

Security Door Tokens (Locked Doors Terrain): Still in progress. You can see it compared to the game token included with the game in one photo. Basswood and poplar carved. Bulk head measures 2.25” H x 2” W x 1.125” f-b including the lead-up ramp (57mm x 25mm x 29mm).

Garbage can tokens (Covered Terrain/Throwing objects): Purchased these HO/O scale trash cans from a model train terrain company which I simply glued to 1.25” x 1.25” bases. When “thrown” they are simply removed from the board. The cans are set in the corners so that figures can stand in the spaces.

Water tower (Not a movement terrain). I saw this HO scale train model kit by Atlas and did some quick calculations and figured it would fit perfectly on the board for the scenario that uses that board. Even though it is the wrong scale, I left off the items that point to it's actual scale (ladder and pipes). It doesn't actually have any effect on the game except in theme. It measures 2.5” diam. x 5.5” tall (64mm x 140mm).

Steam Jet Tokens (Obscuring Terrain): Finished a prototype of the steam jet token in resin. My attempt at cotton was less than satisfactory. This still looked much better in my head than in reality. The benefit to this marker is the jet of steam can be rotated 90 deg, to allow a mini to step in to the spaces or it can be removed completely, and the tile can stay in place. Rather than the jets of steam issuing from the walls, I added pipes made from plastic model sprues. I'm finding it very difficult to get detailed photos on minis without blur.

Road Barricade (not movement affecting). These were done because I felt the need to have 3D representation for the barricades and figured they would be simple to make. They can be individually knocked over and stood on by the minis. Made of painted basswood. You can also see the Elite Foot ninjas here. Heroclix doesn't make elite style ninjas, so I modified some inexpensive ($0.40 ea?) Kryptonian Scientist heroclix. Since 6 were needed in total, I gave 3 of them kasa (rice/conical hats), for variety. They lack the iconic Naginata that they typically wield.

Computer Bays (Blocking terrain): Basswood. The computer bays are mounted on the computer bay tiles. Difficult to see in the second photo, but the images on the computer display include the Technodrone, a sewer, and Krang. (I know the game doesn't include dimension X, or even reference Krang, I figured it was a good nod to the expansive Turtleverse).

Fire Escape (Slow Terrain): Tichy O scale train model building kits.

Trash bag pile (Slow and Elevated Terrain): Still in planning stage.

Right now I have no plans on changing any of the other tokens (Focus, Manhole, KO, Stop, Security Camera, Objective or Blocking). I changed my mind about replacing the focus tokens. I remembered that Fantasy Coin made oriental coins for gaming. These japanese mon have a nice tactile feel and weight to them that I think my gaming friends will appreciate.

I'm also probably going to make some columns for blocking tiles.
-Terry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks amazing! Maybe some cotton in some form for the steam jets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the compliments (And for making this game for us Kevin)! That's a great idea about the steam jets. When I'm finished with the security doors, I'll take a shot at those.
I have done "wispy/swirly" smoke out of cotton, so it might work even better for blast of steam.
-T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started working on the steam jets, but pushed them aside as I revisted the security doors. I noticed that in 2 scenarios, a double set of door markers are used, so I set to work on a double-wide door marker.
after making the double-wide security door, the single door dimensions started to bother me, so the single doors were narrowed by .25" (6.5mm).
The single door dimensions are 1" (25mm) interior width. 1.75" (44.5mm) outside width, and 2.5" (63mm) outside height (outside = including bulkheads).
The single doors have been painted.
I looked through all of the scenarios, and it doesn't appear that there is a need for more than 2 single doors and 1 double door. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it also seems that only 1 scenario uses the storage containers and it only uses 2 markers. So it looks like I have a lot more markers than I needed to make.

I'm done tinkering with the doors. But Casey better figure out the codes to open them or he's going to have his hands full, as you can see here, with a mischief of M.O.U.S.E.R.s. Now on 7/8" (22 mm) bases.

-Terry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just gave me a great idea to see if the doors from Imperial Assault work in TMNT.

Update: They work if you need a double door, but they're too big for single doors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Working on rooftop elevations for the game. Made out of 1/8" (3mm) birch craft plywood. The roofs are 10 scale feet (1 story) or 2.5" from the surface of the play tiles.
You can see the plastic fire escapes in this photo.

There are 7 scenarios in the 16 retail game books that have a roof top element. Most can be synthesized with 3 building "halves". Two elements which are 6 square by 3 square, and one 6 square by 4 square topographical area.

In two scenarios (BK1/BT3, and BK4/BT1) the tiles align to create a single large 7 square by 6 square elevated structure.
To make this large single surface, I added neodymium magnets so the halves click together to make a solid single surface.

The buildings need a lot more work, but with no board game days on the horizon (Nov and Dec tend to be more convenient for my game group), I've got the idea of adding more 3D elements to the game.

Roof top Billboard:
Roof top Fan unit:
Roof top vents:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The elevated roof tops are almost done. Cornices are installed and brick work applied. I still need to add windows. You can see the roof-top blocking terrain. The billboard is complete, but the fan unit and the vents still need work.

These elements all have pins that align with small holes in the rooftops, so the markers do not shift around during play. The holes are barely noticeable, but it probably would have been smarter to use the magnets again. Hindsight is 20/20.

Besides paint and adding the vent pipes, this is pretty much all I am going to do for the game except make some foam storage and work on a couple more custom miniatures (Shredder, Karai and the brutes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm a few months late, but these are amazing. I'm going to try something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.