Space Hulk» Forums » General

Subject: Found/improvised miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we all love Games Workshop's attitude of "It's the rules that you have to buy exactly the right minis from GW" but when it's 20 years later and you're trying to get all the bits to play an old edition of a game, plus expansions, with...

I recently got a copy of first-edition Space Hulk a charity action on eBay. Space Hulk was the first "proper" game I ever owned, so I was delighted to get it again, and also to learn that it's actually a good game, not just nostalgia.

Here's how I painted the Terminators that came with the base game:

A simple scheme: red with gold drybrushing for the basic marines, black shoulderpads with a silver border for the Sergeants, silver with a black wash for the bolters, gold for the flamers.

Now I wanted minis to match these for the various other Terminators in the Deathwing and Campaigns books, which I got hold of. (I don't have Genestealer yet but it's on its way.) I wanted the Terminators to be distinct from ordinary power-armoured Marines, because I want to be able to play with ordinary Marines too.

I found a couple of lots on Ebay that were jumbles of various Space Marines, some Terminators, some not, many broken or incomplete, some unpainted, some painted expertly, most painted... not exactly expertly, and some extra body parts and accessories.

Some were usable pretty much as is. For the assault cannon wielders I just shaded down the paint. They came painted not-terribly well in what I think was the official Blood Angels colour, which is a bit lighter than my scheme, so I gave them a wash with my darker red and some gold brushing, and painted their base to spaceship-floor grey instead of grass.

Because I needed more Terminators, I decided that the "jump packs", big rocket packs that glue over the marines' shoulders for some purpose in 40k, in fact made them Terminator armour. It gives them the right height and bulk.

Which makes this guy a Terminator Captain:

I shaded down the red colouring and brushed his suit with gold again, left his shoulders black and decided that means Captain, and gave him a sword, which can be his force sword (yeah, I know the force sword is officially supposed to be a wee springy attachment to the glove, but this one looks cool and says "sword". I did something similar with the thunder hammer, below.)

I think this guy was already a Terminator Captain, albeit missing a left arm and spraypainted blue all over. I transplanted one from a broken marine, with a sword, and touched up the paint adding silver highlights, black shoulderpads, and a face. He's come to the Hulk on the officer exchange programme from the Ultramarines, apparently.

For some reason he came on a 5cm base, and not even in the centre of it, as though he was maybe supposed to be operating a cannon on it that wasn't there or something? I got him onto an old 25mm one.

This is the Terminator with thunder hammer and storm shield. The hammer came from what I think was most of a Chaos Marine. The "shield" was intended to be a small flag, I think. I assume it works despite its small size by projecting a forcefield around the Marine with [tech].

Librarians. The one on the left was already painted like that (apart from some bald patches which I touched up) and was officially a Librarian according to some old-school helpful sculpted writing on the tab that goes in the slot base, albeit one in ordinary power armour and not a Terminator suit. So I gave him the jump pack Terminator armour upgrade kit and decided that the funky red and blue colour scheme was a Librarian thing, only painting the jump pack in my squad colours. The Librarians usually have a bolter too but his sword is pewter and there was nowhere elegant to glue one on, so I'll just pretend.

The one on the right is a homemade Librarian: I found a marine with an axe, added the jump pack, transplanted a bolter, painted blue bits for the wacky Librarian colours, and gave him some insignia:

That's supposed to be a book with a tongue bookmark, and a letter L on the other shoulder in case that isn't clear enough.

Finally, two guys with lightning claws. The one on the left is a lead model that just needed repainting. The one on the right came beautifully painted. It felt like a crime to repaint him at all, so I just did the outer parts of his armour, and transferred him from his big base to an old 25mm Slotta one.

Now I think all I'm missing is genestealer hybrids, and they're in the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I see a yard sale and cruise by slowly, my kids know I am looking for an urban legend original Space Hulk in mint condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
When I see a yard sale and cruise by slowly, my kids know I am looking for an urban legend original Space Hulk in mint condition.

Heh, I know what you mean. I can't walk past a charity shop without checking for HeroQuest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a little of that myself. Had SH 1st edition and Deathwing but bought a battered version of Genestealer with a few things missing. I managed to score what I needed.

I kind of like those old 1st edition SH minis, except for that darned long antenna which has a tendency to break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I kind of like those old 1st edition SH minis, except for that darned long antenna which has a tendency to break.

Most of mine were broken off when the box arrived, so I decided only the sergeants have them (and won't forever.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always break off and too small to glue back on. Drill a lil tiny hole in the top and glue it into the hole. I've still got 10 intact but sold 4 broke thanks to Deathwing. Sold them to buy the much better lead models from the same period. Not bothered about resale value, I will never sell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
I will never sell it.

Exactly.

I bought SP first ed, 34 years ago? The box is long gone, DW and G parts all in with the main game, with extra tiles added from the game Ultramarine to make some of the huge maps that came out.

I haunted eBay, looking for cheap terminators to round out my SP force. Every so often a good deal comes up.

My game is kitted out, but unsellable (even if I wanted to, which I definitely do not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
I haunted eBay, looking for cheap terminators to round out my SP force. Every so often a good deal comes up.

My game is kitted out, but unsellable (even if I wanted to, which I definitely do not).

Not sure about that. I'd have paid good money for a kitted out piecemeal set, if you wanted to sell it, which you definitely do not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, and it's always fun getting new Space Marines.

Although I've had various editions of Space Hulk for almost 20 years, I only recently finally got Deathwing (for a steal at around $53 for a near mint copy that I just happened to catch on ebay at the right time).

I recently went through the same thing with finding miniatures as I wanted to buy older RT era or earlier models for DW, and didn't want to just use my 4th edition minis. Here's what I ended up putting together and painting after scouring ebay and game shops for a few weeks:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robinjohnson wrote:
ZombieMark wrote:

Heh, I know what you mean. I can't walk past a charity shop without checking for HeroQuest.

I'm right there with you guys.

Still totally a dream that I found Space Crusade (the Dutch version, though), an incomplete copy of Heroquest (but with a rare Wizard from the Wizards of Morcar expansion), and a nearly-complete Warhammer Fantasy Battles (5th Edition) Starter at a boot sale in Ireland.

You had better bet I bought them, and proceeded to find a suitcase from a thrift shop so I could tote them back to the States...

Anyway. Sorry for the shameless glory tales/bragging.

Robin - I like your miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Three that slipped through the net, so I made them up now:

Marine with bolter and chain fist (made from part of a spiky sword)
Sergeant with bolter and power sword
Sergeant with bolter and power glove (this is the same as the two base-set Sergeants, but one mission in Campaigns calls for three of them)

In Mission 4 of "The Last Stand" in Space Hulk Campaigns, the forces list includes "1 Space Marine with storm bolter and power fist". A power fist seems to be the same thing as a power glove, which only adds to the confusion because the very next line is "1 Space Marine with storm bolter and power glove". It's possible they meant a chain fist. In either case I do have the right miniature already. I'll cross that bridge when/if I ever actually play that mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't noticed that error before. I'd put that down to a typo and play that "Power Fist" marine as a Chain Fist and Stormbolter marine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the difference (or lack of it) between a power glove and a "power fist" that's unclear though. warhammer40k.wikia.com says they're the same thing, but then why list them separately in the mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robinjohnson wrote:
It's the difference (or lack of it) between a power glove and a "power fist" that's unclear though. warhammer40k.wikia.com says they're the same thing, but then why list them separately in the mission?

I reread your post and edited mine above to be more relevant. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a cut-and-paste error. Power Fist and Power Glove are synonymous. Like Bolter and Boltgun. Or, Terminator and Tactical Dreadnought Armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. In my opinion this is what makes board games so much fun. You can play the game but also have hours of fun customizing and improving it.

I scored a Deathwing box from eBay a few years back that didn't have any figurines in it, which was fine by me. I went a similar route with getting a mish-mash of plastic and metal 40K terminators from the same era. I went full-on Simple Green strip and repaint so they'd be consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mekane wrote:
This is awesome. In my opinion this is what makes board games so much fun. You can play the game but also have hours of fun customizing and improving it.

I scored a Deathwing box from eBay a few years back that didn't have any figurines in it, which was fine by me. I went a similar route with getting a mish-mash of plastic and metal 40K terminators from the same era. I went full-on Simple Green strip and repaint so they'd be consistent.

I want to believe you, but with no pics...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more marines that are needed on some missions: a Marine with Assault Cannon and Chain Fist, and a Sergeant with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield (another visiting officer from the Ultramarines.)

The shield is the blade of a shovel, and the thunder hammer is some sort of transmitter that was on an old Marines sprue. I'm not entirely happy with it and might change it if I find/think of something better.

And the hybrids arrived, a "hybrid neophyte squad" from (I think) the more modern, terribly terribly grimdark 40k. The box is literally an Imperial Guard squad with a sprue of different heads and some swords and genestealer symbols to glue on. I'm not sure what the story is here, are the hybrids supposed to be working for the Imperial Guard these days?

They look a little like they'd be happier yomping across Normandy than defending a spaceship, and the bandanas give them a "Ninja Turtles In Space" look that I can't unsee, but still fun. I painted the guns different colours so we can remember what they represent easily, like red for lasers and so on. The heavy weapons can be whatever we need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.