Popular Tags: [View All]
Heiko
Germany
OWL
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The developers are very communicative on FB as well. I came up with some questions ... so maybe some of you are interested as well.

Is it possible to experience the "U-Boot Krieg" from 39 to 45? Or are there "just" single missions (dropping mines, patrol, ...)?
It would be awesome if you could implement some historic events to get the game harder as time goes on (better Allies-technology, capturing enigma, ...).

UBOOT: In this version we'are focusing on the years 1939-1940, so the "good" years of Ubootwaffe, and you will be engage in a real historical events. Years 1941-1945 will probably consider in expansion - but that's only a speculation for now.

Is the game completely controlled through the app? All decisions have to be put into the device?
Can it happen that the boat suffers some damage and no enemy is nearby? For example some minor engine damage. It would be nice if you reach critical depth, that sometimes you suffer some damage and sometimes you don't.

UBOOT: A lot of the orders have to be keyed into the app, but not all of them.
As for the damage system, we have TONS of different failures that can occur, and if you leave a problem unattended, then it will worsen with time! We will be also adding some depth-dependent damage, so it is all accounted for

When you're on patrol do you discover new ships/convoys/... or is it likely to find always the same ship/convoys when patrolling in a specific grid?

UBOOT: You always discover new shipping groups and different messages may come from the BdU with additional tasks and warnings.

The first impression is fantastic ... let's see what the KS-campaign looks like. Damn ... November :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, Heiko, we're really glad that you like the idea for the game so far!

Regarding historical missions, we have been researching source material to introduce some of the most famous U-boat battles into the mix, but I cannot reveal which exactly at this point (let's not spill all the beans just yet! ).

As for increasing difficulty, then yes! It is our intention to depict the epic technological struggle, including sonar, radar, HFDF development, code-breaking efforts on both sides, and many more! We really spent a lot of time researching technologies, and even though some of these ideas may not make it into the base game, then we really hope to introduce all of that in the mid & late war expansions.

Please bear in mind that it's not that we are intentionally cutting the game and stripping it of ready-made content - the subject is simply so huge, that we are really giving it our all to have a very solid foundation for the launch of the base game (with lots of content and playing hours), and only THEN move on to introduce later years with all the anti-radar systems, improved AA capabilities, and other interesting technological advancements.

First, however, we're busting our asses to provide a solid groundwork for all of the above to work

All in all, thanks for getting the ball rolling! If there are any questions that need answering, then I will be more than happy to do so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Theriot
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lillibridge
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Waiting for this is torture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I would really love to elaborate on the campaign and other interesting info, but it has to stay secret for now. What I can say, however, is that we're extremely busy refining the rules, the app, and some of the graphic content in anticipation of sending the game to reviewers.

Gameplay videos are scheduled for recording early next week (first a Polish version with domestic bloggers, and then an English version following shortly afterwards). The problem is that we will have to shoot the latter ourselves, but nobody said it would be easy, right?

Anyhow, the current state of affairs is:

-rules are undergoing cleanup/proofreading with the publisher (once it's done, then I should be able to post them on BGG).
-the campaign scenario is being refined, but I guess it goes without saying that it will stay secret until the very campaign
-graphic content is being polished both from the aesthetic side and from the functional point of view as well
-Things like battery charging cycle, as well as terrain features (!) are being worked on, together with some other interesting stuff that I cannot reveal just yet What I can tell, however, is that there are more exciting functionalities coming up

All in all, I cannot wait for everybody to see it - hopefuly it will meet players' expectations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko
Germany
OWL
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an "English first edition" with english & german languages. As far as I've seen the cards have no necessary in-game text.

-What's with the rest of the components?

-And will there be an english & german app-version?

-Is there an opportunity for other languages as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We're planning English, German, and Polish editions for the campaign, but with a potential for more language versions as the situation unfolds.

Regarding language dependency, then there isn't much text on the cards, but some of them DO have a sentence or two to read. The text is written in rather simple English, so it should not be a problem even if one is not well-versed linguistically. Anyhow, German and Polish versions will be there for sure, and that of course applies to the app as well.

Last, but not least, there won't be many language-dependent components, but there will be at least one apart from the cards and the app, and that is the Chief Engineer's service book (curious what that one is, aren't you? devil).

All in all, talks are being held with various partners from around the world, so the potential for more language versions is definitely there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
Heiko Doubleu wrote:

UBOOT: In this version we'are focusing on the years 1939-1940, so the "good" years of Ubootwaffe, and you will be engage in a real historical events. Years 1941-1945 will probably consider in expansion - but that's only a speculation for now.

This is a bit of a disappointment,I had hoped this would cover a wider timeframe. I would hope that additional years of campaign are in the kickstarter as a stretch goal.This game will likely be the king of WWII submarine combat anyway,but as this game seems to focuse on the crew and everyday type of details of being a officer on a uboat; it would be awesome to take your crew through the entire war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's our intention, Alex! If the base game proves to be a success, then we will gladly provide the opportunity of a wild ride until the very end of the war, with all the AA guns, schnorkels, anti-radar tech and everything devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lillibridge
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Come on Artur, who are you kidding, of course it's going to be successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to jinx it And also, if you look at how the new Blade Runner turned out... I sometimes fear that people won't appreciate our game for what it is (or won't even invest the time and effort to give it a chance). It's not a typical game, it is different... Which hopefully will incite people to see something new, instead of scaring them away... Hopefully

But then again, I'm a natural-born pessimist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lillibridge
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bladerunner, the movie? I think it's better to compare UBoot to Descent as far as melding two types of media interaction together, and how is that game going? 🙂

You have a better gauge of the reception so far on your end of it. I think having a couple play-thrus posted before the KS starts or have one posted in the KS would go a long way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean Descent the board game, or Descent the movie?

And as for the playthroughs, then they're on their way. We already got the audio for the 'how to play' videos, and the rest will be coming shortly (before Essen, hopefully).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lillibridge
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Descent the game. My buddy just got Descent and loves using the iPad as part of the game. Interweaving technology with a boardgame gives you a lot more options and allows for scaled complexity with not a lot of programming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, it alleviates a lot of the setup/AI control that the players would otherwise be burdened with. You can focus more on the game, the theme, and how it immerses you instead of performing tons of bookkeeping and administrative tasks that the app can do for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the whole design and concept, however, I just to make sure I understand the app implementation. It is necessary? Or can it be played without it?

I don't mind apps enhancing tabletop game-play, but I want to be able to open the box 10 years from now and not worry about trying to find an app that may or may not work on future hardware (let alone trying to find an decade plus old app).

Looks fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello John!

We're glad that you like that idea for the game. As for app-related concerns, then they have been addressed in a couple of threads, including here:

[url]
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1908047/kickstarter-officia...[/url]

Hopefully that clears things up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.