Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Declan Breen
United Kingdom
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Apologies, sadly I don't speak or write German.

I will be visiting Heidelberg in mid October and am looking advice from my fellow Heidelberging gamers.

Are there any Boardgame cafes?
Are there any boardgame shops worth visiting.
I'm into wargames- are there any attractions worthing visiting for a wargamer?
As I'm Irish are there any pubs worth visiting?

Much appreciation in advance.

Declan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian L
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
decb wrote:

Are there any Boardgame cafes?

No

decb wrote:

Are there any boardgame shops worth visiting.

There are essentially two stores:
Spielzeugladen Neusser / Spielbetrieb, and
Fantasy Kolosseum (a bit more miniature gaming focused)

Both are within 1-2 km from each other and located in central Heidelberg, easy to find with google maps. Both will likely mostly have German versions of board games though.

decb wrote:

Not sure what attractions for wargamers you are thinking of. Probably best to ask around at the stores mentioned above.

decb wrote:

As I'm Irish are there any pubs worth visiting?

Well there are two "Irish Pubs", but they are the typical German impression of a pub. Unless you are so homesick that only Guiness will suffice, you should consider local breweries who often make their own beer, such as Brauhaus Vetter's, or the Kulturbrauerei (slightly more expensive)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Portland
Germany
Worms
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

When you ´ve a few interests in the 30 years war, please read this article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg_Castle

...and yes there are or were one or two irish Pubs, but i can´t remember where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grünherz

Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
AuditorOfReality wrote:
you should consider local breweries who often make their own beer, such as Brauhaus Vetter's, or the Kulturbrauerei (slightly more expensive)

I'm pretty sure that was the intention here (i.e. anything but an Irish Pub. Otherwise that would be like going to Ireland and only eating Schnitzel)

@OP: Since Heidelberg is pretty touristy and a university city, there's an abundance of bars, pubs and restaurants. I don't really have any recommendations for you though unfortunately, but just follow the student crowds on a friday night and you should be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian L
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gruenherz wrote:

@OP: Since Heidelberg is pretty touristy and a university city, there's an abundance of bars, pubs and restaurants. I don't really have any recommendations for you though unfortunately, but just follow the student crowds on a friday night and you should be good.

If finding good/local beer is not necessarily your goal, simply find your way to the "Untere Straße" and stumble into a random bar there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Declan Breen
United Kingdom
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for all the advice, I try and stay away from the Irish pubs when on holiday. The local offerings are much more enticing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only just saw this thread; not sure if the answer still comes in time.

Boardgame-wise, Heidelberg is extremely poorly equipped. My partner lives there (and I have myself lived there for several years) and it is one of our constant frustrations that there is now no good boardgame store left.
If you are very intent on board games, there will be better stores in Mannheim, about 20 km away (this is here-say, I haven't been there).
I'm not sure if there are any organised groups; we just play with friends at home.

Otherwise, Heidelberg is an amazing place to stay (and to live; I loved it), and a beautiful city.
I recommend walking along the Philosophenweg, from which you will have a great view of the old town on the other side of the river, and of the castle.
The city centre/ old town itself is beautiful, but very tourist-y -- and many of the restaurants and bars are priced accordingly.
Recommendations there:
- Café Schillers near the Heiliggeistkirche (the largest church in the city) is cosy, has more types of hot chocolate than you can possibly want, and good home-made cakes.
- Same Same, in the street leading up to the old bridge, has very good sushi.
- Raja Rani on the corner of Plöck and Friedrichstraße is a cheap Indian restaurant, but with very good food. Highly recommmended!

Less tourist-y spots:
- The Neuenheimer Marktplatz (near the start of the Philosophenweg) has several bars and cafés. If the weather is nice, you can sit outside.
- Handschuhsheim in the north of the city has way fewer tourists, but is (a) nice to look at in itself, and (b) has nice places for eating out where you will mostly see locals. I recommend the Cantinaccia im Helmstätter Herrenhaus (Italian food) opposite the Tiefburg (a second old castle, although less impressive than the first one) and, in particular, the Alte Hendesse (traditional German food and wine, in particular nice Schnitzel).

I hope you still see this before you go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Declan Breen
United Kingdom
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmm hot chocolate and cake, you got me. I am just about to leave, once again a big thanks for all the tips and advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.