Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Jordheim
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking to try and add up to two smaller science fiction themed games to my collection. I already have Tiny Epic Galaxies and Cosmic Kaboom which fit the bill but I am looking for a few more that I can introduce the students in the middle school board game group to.

I have considered Star Realms and Jump Drive but are there any other recommendations out there to investigate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pocket Mars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stellar Conflict

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pocket Rockets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan García
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
Tiny Epic Galaxies
The Resistance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why Jump Drive rather than Race for the Galaxy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Run
Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:

Because:

Quote:
I am looking for a few more that I can introduce the students in the middle school board game group to.

RFTG might be a bit much for most non-gamer middle schoolers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Alone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Race for the Galaxy

The base box is large, but once you know the game you can shrink it down quite a bit. It easily fits into the expansion boxes depending on how you do it. I still have the insert in my copy (flipped over) and the game plus all 3 expansions (in the first arc) fit into the first box with plenty of room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:

Because:

Quote:
I am looking for a few more that I can introduce the students in the middle school board game group to.

RFTG might be a bit much for most non-gamer middle schoolers.

Wait, but you said it's for a board game group. If that's the case, they're not non-gamers: they've already shown an interest in board games and are motivated to learn.

Their minds are a lot more flexible and absorbent than most adults. The stumbling blocks for adults to learn the game, unintuitive game structure and iconography, are basically not a problem for middle schoolers. Heck when my friends and I taught ourselves AD&D 2e in middle school, it didn't even occur to us that THAC0 was strange and unintuitive for a lot of people, we just did the thing and it was fine.

I agree that it's probably too much for non-gamers, but not too much for middle schoolers who are interested in games. You know these kids better than I do, though. If you'd consider them non-gamers then definitely go with Jump Drive over RftG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jump Drive will fit in a standard deck box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
agree that it's probably too much for non-gamers, but not too much for middle schoolers who are interested in games. You know these kids better than I do, though. If you'd consider them non-gamers then definitely go with Jump Drive over RftG.

I'm not OP and they can speak for themselves, but that's the reason I surmised they are considering Jump Drive rather than RFTG. "middle school" could include kids as young as 6th grade (11-12 YO), and from reading other threads discussing school game clubs, the favored fare at the middle school level is usually very light - around TTR or KOT level. Which is not to say some kids couldn't learn RFTG, but it might be too much for some others, and in this situation, you're often trying to offer games that will work for the most kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pocket Imperium fits the bill too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
agree that it's probably too much for non-gamers, but not too much for middle schoolers who are interested in games. You know these kids better than I do, though. If you'd consider them non-gamers then definitely go with Jump Drive over RftG.

I'm not OP and they can speak for themselves, but that's the reason I surmised they are considering Jump Drive rather than RFTG. "middle school" could include kids as young as 6th grade (11-12 YO), and from reading other threads discussing school game clubs, the favored fare at the middle school level is usually very light - around TTR or KOT level. Which is not to say some kids couldn't learn RFTG, but it might be too much for some others, and in this situation, you're often trying to offer games that will work for the most kids.

I musta been a super nerdy 12-year-old.

Thinking back to the 6th graders I've worked with, most of them wouldn't have had a problem understanding the rules of RFTG, but the game itself might not be juicy enough to really be a hit.

In light of that, Star Realms is probably a better pick than either RftG or Jump Drive.

If it's sufficiently sci-fi for what you had in mind, Coup or Grifters might also be good picks. Coup in particular is really punchy, and I've had good luck with it in groups that like KoT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you looking to play with schoolers, check out Not Alone, a one against many deduction/race game. If everyone plays along it's great fun. Or Multiuniversum, just a small deck of cards and a few meeples. You have to close portals to other universes. Easy to grasp, doesn't take too long but lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Tiny Epic Galaxies
Star Realms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Jordheim
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:

Mostly because I already have Roll for the Galaxy and so I dont need two games that do similar things. Jump Drive, on the other hand, has the great tension of giving up certain, possibly excellent, cards for others that are more important for your strategy but at a simpler level to start my students out on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Renegade which won't be in the stores yet. Just finished its kickstarter, and you can still get in on the pre-order here: https://victorypointgames.pledgemanager.com/projects/renegad...

Because I expect you will need games in February, too ...

I haven't played it, but I am a backer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you might wanne try

Eminent Domain: Microcosm

its a micro game with a lot off punch :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game.

This is a tough game, but very thematic and fits in a small box. (It also plays very well solo/solitaire).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Middle school? Makes me think Mag·Blast (Third Edition), for some reason... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deadly Wombat
msg tools
mbmb
Impulse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What age range is middle school? I can only just about remember the ages for the school system used in my area...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.