Subject: Video Game Turned Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Which video game would you most likely want to be turn into a board game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Harvest Moon / Stardew Valley for sure. After that, XMen Legends. I think the Gloomhaven system would make an AMAZING base for a Superhero RPG dungeon crawler style game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Parker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Star Control 2. Amazing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
terrestrialboy wrote:

Exactly what I was going to say! If I could, I would create a narrative space exploration game based on the single-player game in SC2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3 Minute Boardgames
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
terrestrialboy wrote:

Exactly what I was going to say! If I could, I would create a narrative space exploration game based on the single-player game in SC2.

With a pop up mini board for combat with an X-Wing like system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
After that, XMen Legends. I think the Gloomhaven system would make an AMAZING base for a Superhero RPG dungeon crawler style game.

It would be too plodding for what I would want out of a superhero game. Also, really not in love with the Gloomhaven system to want to go through it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be the best system to replicate XMen Legends though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Shining Force!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Metroid, as the idea of having minis from those in that series intrigues me. However, I may be better of just buying the minis directly for display.

If not that, then I'd go with Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime. I like the frantic gameplay and music + sound fx that you can only get in vg format, but I reckon doing this in a bg format can have its charms too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Warlords!

Question: Are their any good board games in this genre? The genre being, uh, Engine building war game? Or SM Civilization without the Civilization? Maybe turn based RTS game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Want to say Witcher, and I know they made a game for it; but it seemed boring. But since they did make a game for it than I'll say Mass Effect. Monopoly version doesnt count either.

You're in the Andromeda Galaxy, or the least explored parts of the milky way, and explore them. It could work very similar to https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/180263/7th-continent

In fact, I think that system would compliment it well. Whatever they do, dont let Bioware have control over it, since they damned the series with the 4th game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Warlords!

Question: Are their any good board games in this genre? The genre being, uh, Engine building war game? Or SM Civilization without the Civilization? Maybe turn based RTS game?

Warlords 2 was the most played game on my PowerMac 6100! I even reverse engineered the "army" resource file and made my own unit sets.

W2 would be quite easy to turn into a board game, what with the limit of 4 possible units per city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Privateer

Elite Dangerous (but not an X-wing clone like was tried before)

Skyrim - Oblivion - Daggerfall - Arena - Morrowind

Minecraft (but not like the horrible card game I purchased at Walgreens)

Baldur's Gate

Total Annihilation - Supreme Commander

Knights of the Old Republic

Curse of the Azure Bonds (or pretty much any DnD Goldbox)

And the game I would want most because it really deserves a revival, and not because it was a great game:

Venture

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knight of the Old Republic is covered by SWIA (and the fan made KOTOR expansion for it).

Fallout (original on PC) already has a game coming, but unclear if it will be right for me.

Still waiting for the "right" implementation of XCom's battlemap.

+1 to Starcon 2!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ithkrall wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:
terrestrialboy wrote:

With a pop up mini board for combat with an X-Wing like system?

Yeah, that would be awesome! Pre-painted minis of all the alien ships would be so cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a Dark Souls redo..

Or better yet, Demon's Souls.

Also, Spelunker HD, or Spelunky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freespace and Freespace 2. There was a Kickstarter campaign but it failed cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
crazybyzantine wrote:
Knight of the Old Republic is covered by SWIA (and the fan made KOTOR expansion for it).

Not quite right about that. Overall you could get away with that, but than thats like any other fan made game turning one game into another. You could even turn SWIA into SG1 with that mindset; doesnt make it a stargate game though.

Theme is important to a lot of people. Having mini's, and the board in the 4-6 movie era rather than 1000's of years ago is a pretty big deal.

I cant fully embrace a game knowing I cant use all the pieces that I payed for. You could create your own pog like mini's, but that wouldnt be the same. Not to mention quite a few people dont want to create all that content, they want to pick up a game from a store and play it..not morph it. I think that is where some people are coming from, including myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
givemeInfoplease wrote:
crazybyzantine wrote:

Not quite right about that. Overall you could get away with that, but than thats like any other fan made game turning one game into another. You could even turn SWIA into SG1 with that mindset; doesnt make it a stargate game though.

Theme is important to a lot of people. Having mini's, and the board in the 4-6 movie era rather than 1000's of years ago is a pretty big deal.

I cant fully embrace a game knowing I cant use all the pieces that I payed for. You could create your own pog like mini's, but that wouldnt be the same. Not to mention quite a few people dont want to create all that content, they want to pick up a game from a store and play it..not morph it. I think that is where some people are coming from, including myself.

I can understand that. Context was loved KOTOR, is there a game for it? For me closest is SWIA and good enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.