Tom Hoefle
Germany
Ebersbach
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

so if i wanna have all 5 characters playready for my group and maybe even the 5 from Dunwich...i need 3 base games and 3 times dunwich ?

Cause there are only 4 knifes in it and 4 torchlights and i would need 2 for each character ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blumhardt
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xorron wrote:
Hi,

so if i wanna have all 5 characters playready for my group and maybe even the 5 from Dunwich...i need 3 base games and 3 times dunwich ?

Cause there are only 4 knifes in it and 4 torchlights and i would need 2 for each character ?

You certainly wouldn't need to have 2 knives and 2 flashlights for every character, but if you really must use the suggested decks, then yes, you would need 3 core sets to play with 5 players. You definitely wouldn't need 3 Dunwich sets, though.

If you were a little careful with what cards people took outside their classes, you could easily get away with 2 cores and 1 each of any other expansion you wanted to use. That said... I'd maybe just stick to 4 players to be safe. The game gets pretty unwieldly past 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having 5 premade decks ready to go is a bit untenable. Even more so once you start adding new characters on top of that. I would recommend sending people in your group a small snippet about each character and the role they would play and let them decide before you all get together. Then just create decks for those chosen characters. That is what I did with my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having all 10 recommended starter decks from core and Dunwich prebuilt would require lots of cards and sets, and wouldn't really accomplish much (I'd say the same about prebuilding the 5 core characters). I would suggest finding what class/character your play group wants to play, and just building those. Since the primary mode of play is campaign, you'd very likely only need 1 character per player through the course of the entire campaign.

Also, prebuilding the Dunwich characters should be easier than prebuilding all the base characters since the Dunwich investigators use mostly "in-class" cards, and all the base characters are dual-class. There's just less overlap.

Once your group is familiar the game, prebuilding the recommended decks is unnecessary, as making your own is generally better: more rewarding, better performing, more cohesive, more fun!

Just get two cores, and only build what is being used. Less money, less waste, and everything you really need. If your consistently playing 4p, maybe someone else would want to buy into the game as well to flesh out the card pool, but that isn't super necessary, especially as the game grows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Pyne
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes it is a but more setup but we find the best experience is to lay out characters, let everyone choose one, and then give them the pools they are able to take cards from. For first time players depending on how well they are "getting it" we may have someone else grab 80% of the reck from "recommended" card and then let them fiddle. In the total length of a campaign 4-10 hours this ~30 minutes of setup while other rules may be explained is negligible.

The one thing I would recommend is only try to run one campaign at a time and don't take the decks apart between scenarios. Yes it may take a few weeks to finish, but the overall experience will be much better then having a premed or shared deck and the complexities that come along with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pynej wrote:
4-10 hours

I'm not sure if this is just a wide estimate for the core campaign, or an estimate ranging from core to Dunwich. But there is no way Dunwich takes 10 hours. I'd say 15 or so with more than 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, if you are playing on Standard or Easy you can get by with mono-faction decks, and have 5 ready at any time if you have 2 cores and one each of everything else (we beat Core and Dunwich 4 player with said decks). It's not optimal, but it's perfectly fine for people who want to jump right in. You will have way less choices when building, but will still keep most of the choices in the upgrading process later on, once you collect XP.

Another option could be to allow everyone to rebuild their decks from the ground up after 1 or 2 games once they are familiar with the system, with the caveat that "contested" cards need to be managed carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Guigue
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The question doesn't really make sense as it really depends on the deck lists you want to do. If, for example, you want to have 2 copies of shortcut in every deck that can, you need 7 copies of Dunwich. (2 from base and the 5 from Dunwhich that can have 5 cards from any class).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Deas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Whenever I'm taking Arkham out to demo, I use two cores set up all five core investigators with the standard decks, but I keep all the Emergency Cache, Knife and Flashlight cards separate. There are enough cards in two sets to give each investigator the cards from their two available classes, plus the neutral skill cards from the suggested decks. I then let players choose their investigator and then hand them the set aside cards.

This has worked fairly well so far in cutting down on on preparation time at the table, but does take a while to pull all the cards from the collection and then later return them. I'd like to get another couple of cores eventually to have a demo set ready to go at any time.

Having the Dunwich decks available would be quite a luxury, and require quite a few extra sets to have ready. For my demos I feel that the choice of five core investigators is usually enough, as new players might not yet appreciate the differences in how the Dunwich investigators play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.