Subject: Hunt for the Ring link? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a new game in the line "Hunt for the Ring" which covers the journey from Shire to Rivendell. There are official rules published there regarding linking of "Hunt for the Ring" with "War of the Ring"!
But there are no rules for linking "Battle of the Five Armies" to "Hunt for the Ring" or "War of the Ring".
With "Hunt for the Ring" happening in-between BOTFA and WOTR there appears a sudden opportunity to create a 3-piece legacy experience from BOTFA through HFTR to WOTR. The only missing link is BOTFA->HFTR.
I think there should be such. There is already a mechanism in "Hunt for the Ring" which adjusts balance between Hobbits and Nazguls.
What if we link this mechanism with the output of BOTFA? The options there are two-dimentional (amount of information traded to Nazgul and amount of cards to choose information from) which is perfect for tunning.

I invite you for proposals of transforming BOTFA output to that mechanism.

Remember that the mechanism in HFTR has huge balance effects so adjustments should not be severe.

Of course there could be a secondary more thematic mechanism which translates BOTFA output on the Erebor presence of dwarves. Since the difference between 1st and 2nd edition there is the addition of the Dwarf elite, there could be some easy adjustable rule like "adding/removing of Dwarf regular from Erebor" on top of "HFTR" influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RESERVED FOR THE MECHANISM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Dewald
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
improove wrote:
There is a new game in the line "Hunt for the Ring" which covers the journey from Shire to Rivendell. There are official rules published there regarding linking of "Hunt for the Ring" with "War of the Ring"!
But there are no rules for linking "Battle of the Five Armies" to "Hunt for the Ring" or "War of the Ring".
With "Hunt for the Ring" happening in-between BOTFA and WOTR there appears a sudden opportunity to create a 3-piece legacy experience from BOTFA through HFTR to WOTR. The only missing link is BOTFA->HFTR.
I think there should be such. There is already a mechanism in "Hunt for the Ring" which adjusts balance between Hobbits and Nazguls.
What if we link this mechanism with the output of BOTFA? The options there are two-dimentional (amount of information traded to Nazgul and amount of cards to choose information from) which is perfect for tunning.

I invite you for proposals of transforming BOTFA output to that mechanism.

Remember that the mechanism in HFTR has huge balance effects so adjustments should not be severe.

Of course there could be a secondary more thematic mechanism which translates BOTFA output on the Erebor presence of dwarves. Since the difference between 1st and 2nd edition there is the addition of the Dwarf elite, there could be some easy adjustable rule like "adding/removing of Dwarf regular from Erebor" on top of "HFTR" influence.

Well there is 60 years between Hobbit and Lord of the Rings so it makes more sense to me using HFTR as a prologue. But still interested in what other people have to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PapaDeWald wrote:
Well there is 60 years between Hobbit and Lord of the Rings so it makes more sense to me using HFTR as a prologue.

Imagine a Silmarillion game from Ares (I know it is impossible thanks to Tolkien Estate). Wouldn't you link it somehow to BOTFA even it events are separated by thousands of years to have a 4-piece saga?
Before HFTR there were even some suggestions to include Middle Earth Quest as a link btw. BOTFA and WOTR... Hopefully we don't neet to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawk Strike
msg tools
mb
A better post-BoFA game theme would be The Hunt for Gollum -- play Aragorn r Gandalf and the Mirkwood elves in a hidden movement game trying to track down Gollum.

Of course, FFG did that as an LCG scenario already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.