Outfoxed!» Forums » General

Subject: Other deduction games for kids (slight step up from Outfoxed)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that my recently turned 9yo daughter would have loved this game a year or so ago, but feel reluctant to buy it now as many comments seem to indicate that it is best until 8yo or so. Does anyone have recommendations of other relatively simple but interesting deduction games for kids? She already has and loves Love Letter but I am looking for something new, although not necessarily more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (also 9) really likes Thunder & Lightning, sort of like Stratego: the Card Game. To a lesser extent, he also enjoys Mr. Jack and Clans. None of these, however, are cooperative. Maybe look into Rising 5: Runes of Asteros? I haven't it played it, but it looks like cooperative gameplay with Mastermind style deduction.

I agree with your assessment of Outfoxed!. It's a great game, but I play it most often with my 4yo, sometimes as a family, never alone with my 9yo. He would find it utterly unsatisfying.

Edit: Perhaps, too, Scotland Yard is worth looking into. I tried playing it with my son a year or two ago and it didn't hold his attention, but I wonder if it would be more interesting now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Thomas
United States
Pella
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outfoxed is a great game for ages 4-6. Most 9-year-olds, though, would get bored of it quickly.

I know this is Hasbro Heresy, but outfoxed is basically another take at "Clue Jr.", right down to the roll-and-move, so naturally I'd recommend that. There's even a variant here on BGG to take out the roll-and-move, but that might increase the complexity of the game a little.

For more modern-style games I'd recommend Codenames: Pictures or Codenames: Disney Family Edition. You could even play with the Codenames Duet rules to make it cooperative.

The art in Mysterium might be a little abstract at first, but I think it would be a great deduction game for a 9-year-old once she gets a feel for it.

I'd also second the recommendation for Mr. Jack, especially the new edition released last year.

Along the lines of Love Letter, maybe Hanabi?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Alice might fit the bill. I seem to remember that getting decent reviews for a deduction game for younger people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fredrickson
msg tools
Purrrlock Holmes is another popular one in my house. Might be a little young for a 9 or 10 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.