Recommend
16 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: How to Protest without Offending the Unmelanated rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: sealion [+] [View All]

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is beyond awesome. http://www.theroot.com/how-to-protest-without-offending-whit...

Many people were surprised when President Donald Trump suggested that NFL team owners fire players who quietly choose to sit out the national anthem before games, but I was not one of them.

Even though they thought they’d solved the anthem problem by blackballing protest starter Colin Kaepernick, the residual insolence displayed by the players roiled white people to no end because their protest was so disrespectful—not to a 250-year-old cloth logo or a Francis Scott Key bar song. Taking a knee is disrespectful to whiteness. It is not that white people can’t understand Kaepernick’s point of view; it’s that—to them—any other point of view is nonexistent.

For future reference, we have put together this handy-dandy checklist for designing a protest that white people will find inoffensive and respectable.

Don’t Say “White”

I have no idea why, but white people hate it when anyone uses the phrase “white people,” because, for some reason, they consider it a pejorative. When protesting police brutality, education inequality, unfair housing practices or anything else, you must be careful not to “make it all about race”—even if the thing you’re protesting is all about race.

Refer to racism as a “social issue.” Instead of slinging the phrase “white supremacy” around all willy-nilly, you can instead refer to it as “structural inequality.” If your “underprivileged” child has been fenced into a poorly funded educational system, call it an “inner-city school.”

Uttering the words “white people” only serves as a reminder of their historic ties to oppression, which can only be negated by their instinctual regurgitation of the preamble to all white excuses: “Not all white people ... ” Even if you make your protest about a “societal issue” that’s not about race, you still shouldn’t expect them to join in or approve.

They already heard you say “white people.”

Don’t Say “Black”

When protesting, you must not only refrain from lumping Caucasians together, but you must also be careful not to remind them of your blackness. Again, the word conjures the imagery of oppression and makes everything about race.

Plus, it is divisive. Any mention of race is divisive because it overlooks the fact that every color and creed has problems. Some people have to worry about the leader of the free world trying to deport their children, vilifying their religion or referring to their mothers as bitches, while others have to live with the terrible burden of people constantly belittling their chicken seasoning and potato-salad-making.

We all have a struggle.

Be Inclusive


If there is one thing white people outer-city people hate, it’s being left out. If you watch the nation unite in empathy and mourning for the single Caucasian victim of white supremacy, while ignoring the fact that the same supremacists have terrorized people of color for more than a century; when you see Justine Damond’s death change the leadership of an entire police force while streets run red with black blood spilled by acquitted police officers, you still shouldn’t say, “Black lives matter.”

Even if there has never been a nanosecond in the long history of America during which anyone questioned the worth of white lives, you must still include them. You should also be inclusive enough to make up an entirely new category of human being and announce that blue lives matter, too.

Unless you hate cops ...

... and smurfs.

Be Invisible


White people The average American doesn’t mind protest ... as long as he or she can’t see it. You absolutely have the constitutional right to feel a little morose whenever your son, neighbor or fellow citizen is shot, choked, beaten or discriminated against—as long as you don’t obstruct the weekend Caucasian commute to the mall to purchase yoga pants. Why should they have to think about the disproportionate, continual murder of black people when they’re trying to get half-price cargo shorts at the Gap? That’s just un-American.

You can object to inequality as much as you’d like, as long as it isn’t at sporting events. No one wants to think about politics at sporting events. Or at political rallies. Or inaugurations. Or on social media. Or at schools. Or at actual protests.

Everywhere else is fine.

Be Respectful


If you miraculously find a place to protest, find an inoffensive phrase and include people from all groups, you should still be mindful that there is a list of things that white people the overprivileged value more than your life, freedom, equality or happiness. Your civil disobedience must not offend or disparage any of the following: flags that represent America, flags that represent traitors to America, monuments, names of buildings, statues, stained-glass windows, cats, American flags, 150-year-old songs, freedom of speech (but only their freedom of speech, not yours), bathrooms, dogs, the children (not children, but “the children”), the Founding Fathers, first responders, blue lives, religious freedom (Christian only), traffic and troops.

Especially troops. Wypipo love troops. They can watch a cop shoot an unarmed person in the head and see the brain matter splatter on his or her baby in the back seat and feel no empathy, but burst into tears when someone shows them a clip of a dog licking a soldier’s face when he comes home from killing brown people somewhere in the world protecting their freedom.

In fact, if you wrap a puppy in an American flag and put it on top of a pumpkin-spice gift certificate to Starbucks and tell a white woman you’re giving it to a soldier, she will spontaneously orgasm.

Real talk.*

*I don’t actually know what “real talk” means, but I know that—according to Section 3, paragraph 5 of the Uniform Negro Code—affixing “real talk” to the end of a sentence automatically makes it true.

Be Dead

One of the surest ways to engender respect from white people the unmelanated is to die. If you don’t feel like dying and have white-enough teeth, you can alternately outlive their vitriol and wait for them to embrace you.

Muhammad Ali was considered a traitor when he stood up for his rights and refused to fight in Vietnam. Tommie Smith and John Carlos were vilified. Gallup polling recounts Martin Luther King Jr.’s favorability this way:

In 1963, King had a 41 percent positive and a 37 percent negative rating; in 1964, it was 43 percent positive and 39 percent negative; in 1965, his rating was 45 percent positive and 45 percent negative; and in 1966—the last Gallup measure of King using this scalometer procedure—it was 32 percent positive and 63 percent negative.

Five months before the March on Washington, 60 percent of the country had a negative view of the event and 57 percent thought that peaceful sit-ins hurt the civil rights movement. Even a year later, in 1964, 73 percent of Americans believed “Negroes should stop mass demonstrations,” according to Gallup (pdf).

There has never been a movement for the freedom or equality of people of color that has gained white approval. Not the abolitionist movement. Not the anti-lynching movement. Not the Black Power movement. Not the civil rights struggle.

Looking for respectability and approval from white people will always be as fruitless a task as a chicken’s attempt to convince a fox to respect the boundaries of the henhouse.

In fact, historical, anecdotal and empirical evidence shows that there is only one way to protest without offending white people:

Don’t.


49 
 Thumb up
5.92
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gallup polling data about Dr. King, year by year, is pretty fucking damning. Thanks for this.
Note to self: in addition to Piketty, read Coates (after all, it's really slim)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
In fact, if you wrap a puppy in an American flag and put it on top of a pumpkin-spice gift certificate to Starbucks and tell a white woman you’re giving it to a soldier, she will spontaneously orgasm.


Holy spit-take, Batman.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
The Gallup polling data about Dr. King, year by year, is pretty fucking damning. Thanks for this.
Note to self: in addition to Piketty, read Coates (after all, it's really slim)


It's been a source of frustration to me to read revisionist history of that time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Their gentrification one was nice and OUTRAGEOUS!!! too :D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's painful because it's true.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the writer agrees with the proposition that all white people are racist? Do you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Nope. Nope nope nope nope.
Avatar
mb
mutton_chops wrote:
I wonder if the writer agrees with the proposition that all white people are racist? Do you?


Is "racism" here a cognitive bias and structural dynamic, or a personal moral flaw that requires specific action?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
I wonder if the writer agrees with the proposition that all white people are racist? Do you?


Is it racist to say that all white people are racist?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
I wonder if the writer agrees with the proposition that all white people are racist? Do you?


Not ALL white people!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor Noah's recent piece pairs nicely with The Root's article above.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
I wonder if the writer agrees with the proposition that all white people are racist? Do you?


Hey, I've seen Avenue Q, I know this is a trick question.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thanks for the good laugh. Need it these days.

And, for the record, yes, white people are racist.

So are brown people.

It's like homosexuality -- everyone has tendencies, some have them to a greater degree than others.

One last point -- especially for those so "outraged" by people kneeling during the anthem to make a political point:

When in hell did the anthem and the flag suddenly become the solve property of the Armed Forces of the United States? Because that's where the "outrage" seems to be centered -- disrespectful to the military, which is funny, because most veterans and active duty support those people's rights to protest, even if they personally don't like it.

I know liberals are whackjobs, but good Christ, the right wing is so far out there, I'm amazed they've learned how to wipe the shit off their asses.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:


When in hell did the anthem and the flag suddenly become the solve property of the Armed Forces of the United States? Because that's where the "outrage" seems to be centered -- disrespectful to the military, which is funny, because most veterans and active duty support those people's rights to protest, even if they personally don't like it.


It's been like that for as long as I can remember. Disrespecting the troops is a common axe to grind in such circles.

It's fairly common to talk about how liberals are suppressing the First Amendment - e.g., colleges don't tolerate right-wing viewpoints.

This national anthem outrage is the right wing's suppression of the First Amendment.

It's the other side of the coin.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
64% of people are against the protests

http://remingtonresearchgroup.com/surveys/NFL_9-25-17.pdf

They break out, in the tabs, by Republican, Democrat, and Non-Partisan

Note in Q5, how the non-partisans are much more closer to Republicans in the percentage watching less NFL because of political views. As are those that consider themselves moderate.

Same with Q9 (which reflects Sue's article), that Republican/Conservative/Non-Partisan/Moderates all have strong majorities that think there are more appropriate ways to protest.

Across the board, Q10, everyone wants less politics in sporting events.


It is a sad day when people are more engaged in a sport than they are the lives/concerns of fellow Americans. Agree or not, it is at least worthwhile to set aside the entertainment and try to attempt an understanding and engage in a discussion.


6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:

Same with Q9 (which reflects Sue's article), that Republican/Conservative/Non-Partisan/Moderates all have strong majorities that think there are more appropriate ways to protest.

Across the board, Q10, everyone wants less politics in sporting events.


It is a sad day when people are more engaged in a sport than they are the lives/concerns of fellow Americans. Agree or not, it is at least worthwhile to set aside the entertainment and try to attempt an understanding and engage in a discussion.




I think the whole "less politics in sporting events" is a red herring. I think they just don't want to think about an issue that makes them uncomfortable while watching a sporting event. Sporting events are already full of political reminders including the national anthem, salutes to the military (e.g., uniform changes during certain holidays), breast cancer awareness (e.g., pink uniform changes), etc.

They just don't want to hear about one specific political issue and it's easier to couch it as getting politics out of sports.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Avatar
Personally, I have no interest in seeing personal stances on political issues getting thrown into sports. I'm not a fan of a commentator ranting to me about how he wrongly thinks institutionalized racism is what's keeping Kaepernick unemployed and not the fact he opted out of a good contract with 49ers and got passed by the hawks because he's a fucking shitty quarterback.

Uncomfortable? Please. Watching idiots kneel doesn't make me uncomfortable. It makes me laugh and roll my eyes because they are kneeling for something that has no grounding in reality. America is oppressing black people? Cops are indiscriminately killing black people? What a load. I wonder, what's more believable: are blacks being disproportionately killed more than whites due to some evil racist omnipresent boogeyman, or are they being disproportionately killed more than whites because they commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime and therefore are far more likely to be in a position of confrontation with an officer? The mystery may never be solved! (this is where you respond with random individual instances while you completely ignore any instances of a white person being killed because you honestly can't name one despite the fact that more white people are killed by police than black)

Should they be fired? I don't think so. As long as they are performing well they can burn the American flag and skull fuck a white barbie doll before every game for all I care. BUT just as they have the right to protest whatever fantasy world they stand against, so to do fans have the right to tell them to fuck off and to move away from watching the game and buying the merchandise.

But that's just the opinion of one race traitor.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
As long as they are performing well they can burn the American flag and skull fuck a white barbie doll before every game for all I care. BUT just as they have the right to protest whatever fantasy world they stand against, so to do fans have the right to tell them to fuck off and to move away from watching the game and buying the merchandise.


Okay, thanks for stopping by! Be sure to fill out the complaint card at the exit.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Dr King wrote his Letter from a Birmingham Jail more than 50 years ago. Sadly, it's 100% applicable today. A few snippets:

You deplore the demonstrations taking place in Birmingham. But your statement, I am sorry to say, fails to express a similar concern for the conditions that brought about the demonstrations. I am sure that none of you would want to rest content with the superficial kind of social analysis that deals merely with effects and does not grapple with underlying causes. It is unfortunate that demonstrations are taking place in Birmingham, but it is even more unfortunate that the city's white power structure left the Negro community with no alternative.

You may well ask: "Why direct action? Why sit ins, marches and so forth? Isn't negotiation a better path?" You are quite right in calling for negotiation. Indeed, this is the very purpose of direct action. Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored. My citing the creation of tension as part of the work of the nonviolent resister may sound rather shocking. But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word "tension." I have earnestly opposed violent tension, but there is a type of constructive, nonviolent tension which is necessary for growth

Frankly, I have yet to engage in a direct action campaign that was "well timed" in the view of those who have not suffered unduly from the disease of segregation. For years now I have heard the word "Wait!" It rings in the ear of every Negro with piercing familiarity. This "Wait" has almost always meant "Never." We must come to see, with one of our distinguished jurists, that "justice too long delayed is justice denied."

I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

21 
 Thumb up
0.31
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
broken clock wrote:
As long as they are performing well they can burn the American flag and skull fuck a white barbie doll before every game for all I care. BUT just as they have the right to protest whatever fantasy world they stand against, so to do fans have the right to tell them to fuck off and to move away from watching the game and buying the merchandise.


Okay, thanks for stopping by! Be sure to fill out the complaint card at the exit.


NEXT ON THE FIVE WITH GREG GUTFELD: THE HOT TOPICS THAT HAVE EVERYONE TALKING FROM THE VOICES THAT WILL HAVE EVERYONE LISTENING! 5PM EASTERN!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Avatar
Cops are killing more men than women because cops hate men, there can be no other explanation! We have a real misandry problem within the police force. I'm going to kneel as I watch the game at home in the hopes that I can solve this issue. Please, to all the white female allies reading this, kneel with me in solidarity!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
What a load. I wonder, what's more believable: are blacks being disproportionately killed more than whites due to some evil racist omnipresent boogeyman, or are they being disproportionately killed more than whites because they commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime and therefore are far more likely to be in a position of confrontation with an officer?


You -do- know that that SHOULD still be concerning, right? Shootings are supposed to be something of a last resort for dealing with individuals who are otherwise impossible to safely apprehend. And, of course, this also fails to account for how this issue affects innocent people who are not actually at fault, as statistics like that also theoretically make their interactions with police less safe.

Shit, if you are actually concerned about white people getting shot, you should consider backing Kapernick anyway. This sort of lens brings attention to systematic problems and can lead to reform, which is likely to benefit everyone who is a fan of not being shot (unless we end up with something like the decision that we hate to shoot more white people to even it out, but hey). Ride in on the coattails!
15 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Cops are killing more men than women because cops hate men, there can be no other explanation! We have a real misandry problem within the police force. I'm going to kneel as I watch the game at home in the hopes that I can solve this issue. Please, to all the white female allies reading this, kneel with me in solidarity!


My white knight!

kiss

Please mansplain some more. I'm not sure I follow your awesome logic!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Personally, I have no interest in seeing personal stances on political issues getting thrown into sports. I'm not a fan of a commentator ranting to me about how he wrongly thinks institutionalized racism is what's keeping Kaepernick unemployed and not the fact he opted out of a good contract with 49ers and got passed by the hawks because he's a fucking shitty quarterback.

Uncomfortable? Please. Watching idiots kneel doesn't make me uncomfortable. It makes me laugh and roll my eyes because they are kneeling for something that has no grounding in reality. America is oppressing black people? Cops are indiscriminately killing black people? What a load. I wonder, what's more believable: are blacks being disproportionately killed more than whites due to some evil racist omnipresent boogeyman, or are they being disproportionately killed more than whites because they commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime and therefore are far more likely to be in a position of confrontation with an officer? The mystery may never be solved! (this is where you respond with random individual instances while you completely ignore any instances of a white person being killed because you honestly can't name one despite the fact that more white people are killed by police than black)

Should they be fired? I don't think so. As long as they are performing well they can burn the American flag and skull fuck a white barbie doll before every game for all I care. BUT just as they have the right to protest whatever fantasy world they stand against, so to do fans have the right to tell them to fuck off and to move away from watching the game and buying the merchandise.

But that's just the opinion of one race traitor.

I might have to take a knee in support of all the straw men you just beat the shit out of. shake
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Personally, I have no interest in seeing personal stances on political issues getting thrown into sports. I'm not a fan of a commentator ranting to me about how he wrongly thinks institutionalized racism is what's keeping Kaepernick unemployed and not the fact he opted out of a good contract with 49ers and got passed by the hawks because he's a fucking shitty quarterback.

Uncomfortable? Please. Watching idiots kneel doesn't make me uncomfortable. It makes me laugh and roll my eyes because they are kneeling for something that has no grounding in reality. America is oppressing black people? Cops are indiscriminately killing black people? What a load. I wonder, what's more believable: are blacks being disproportionately killed more than whites due to some evil racist omnipresent boogeyman, or are they being disproportionately killed more than whites because they commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime and therefore are far more likely to be in a position of confrontation with an officer? The mystery may never be solved! (this is where you respond with random individual instances while you completely ignore any instances of a white person being killed because you honestly can't name one despite the fact that more white people are killed by police than black)

Should they be fired? I don't think so. As long as they are performing well they can burn the American flag and skull fuck a white barbie doll before every game for all I care. BUT just as they have the right to protest whatever fantasy world they stand against, so to do fans have the right to tell them to fuck off and to move away from watching the game and buying the merchandise.

But that's just the opinion of one race traitor.


No, somehow I suspect the people who use the phrase "race traitor" would NOT think you were a "race traitor" at all. They'd read this and think "he's one of us."
16 
 Thumb up
0.26
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.