Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about the train movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sangkeun Byun
United States
Little Ferry
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,
I have a few questions about the train movement that are unclear.

1) Is it possible to get into a station and upgrade it when the train is moving back?

2) When the train moves forward, is it possible to move a fewer steps than the ability allows?
For example, move the train only 1 step with the ability "train 2 steps forward with paying 2 dollars"

Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, it's yes and yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Doody
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
k8ragnarok wrote:

1) Is it possible to get into a station and upgrade it when the train is moving back?


Yes. From the rulebook:

"If you stop the movement of your engine on a turnout space of a
train station,..." (page 12).

It specially says end your "movement" so that it includes a train going forward or backwards.

k8ragnarok wrote:

2) When the train moves forward, is it possible to move a fewer steps than the ability allows?
For example, move the train only 1 step with the ability "train 2 steps forward with paying 2 dollars"


Yes. From the rulebook:

"You may always choose to move your engine fewer spaces forward than allowed" (page 12).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old news
But here is an important point from the designer:
AlexP wrote:
Yes, you can move 0 steps. And therefore yes, if you stop your movement in a station, you may build it.

Edit: Just spoke to the editor Viktor, who did a whole bunch of testing. He prefers that "stop movement" implies moving at least 1 space. So in the next print run we will clarify the rules in this respect. Please play it this way, that you have to move at least 1 space to build a station.
I've got the 'old' rules. Has this been edited in yet?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Doody
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
But here is an important point from the designer:
AlexP wrote:
Yes, you can move 0 steps. And therefore yes, if you stop your movement in a station, you may build it.

Edit: Just spoke to the editor Viktor, who did a whole bunch of testing. He prefers that "stop movement" implies moving at least 1 space. So in the next print run we will clarify the rules in this respect. Please play it this way, that you have to move at least 1 space to build a station.
I've got the 'old' rules. Has this been edited in yet?


This is good to know. I haven't seen the newer rules, so I'm not sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.