Subject: Zombies!!! 1st Run rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Played my first game of Zombies!!! (2nd ed.) tonight which I found to be a lot of fun. However, I personally thought the 2 hour 15 minute playing time a bit excessive for our 2 player game- which I assume would be even longer for more players. Anyone have any house rules they would like to share for a slightly shorter yet still exciting zombie game (aside from winning by collecting only 15 zombies etc.)?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor EvilMonkey
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We have a house rule where first player to roll a '6' wins the game. We find it bypasses the weak rules that come with the game and drastically cuts down on the repetative nature of this rather flimsy game... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wibblenut wrote:
We have a house rule where first player to roll a '6' wins the game. We find it bypasses the weak rules that come with the game and drastically cuts down on the repetative nature of this rather flimsy game... laugh

Have a , Mr Wibblenut. This is a perfectly succinct, perceptive and insightful summary of this game, and funny to boot.

I quite liked Zombies!!! when I first played it, and the cards are genuinely funny, but you have hit the nail on the head with a single sentence.

Bravo!

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont´t listen to the nay-sayers above. Zombies is a great game, it just isn't for everybody. The biggest problem as you say, is with the length of the game. We use the following house rules blatantly stolen from the quick(er) rules downloadable from the games main page to help with the game length:

The movement of the characters is always the number of lives +2. This really helps, otherwise a few bad rolls in a row can make your character almost frozen in place, no fun.

Always move three zombies. This removes a die roll, and actually helps speed the game up somewhat.

We also remove a few of the most aggressive cards, check the quick(er) rules to get an idea of what to remove. Personally I like removing the butterfinger cards (or at least one of them). Getting and keeping a weapon is hard enough even without that card.

We have also tried to build the whole town beforehand. Yes, this means that you know from the start where the helicopter is, but everyone knows that and there are plenty of ways to mess with people making a run for it. Really speeds up play and I recommend it.

I have also included the 3.5 expansion. This is cards only, and adds a few weapons that are more easily used than some of the others. It helps.

Good luck with the game, it is an excellent one for the right moments and the right people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Piette
Canada
Beloeil
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bolger.

I didn't know about those new rules, and they might work. In our case, we resolved the game with one simple rule change, the use of a timer.

One minute in a half until the map is complete, 1 minute after that. So you have to do eveything spped up, and believe me you need to play fast, we sometime are out of breath.

If someone can't finish is turn in time, he doesn't get new cards (if needed) and just moves is zombies.

So basically, when the player draws the map card, the timer goes. So he has to know in advance what he will do. After a few turns, the excitment increase quickly, and we really get the "panicky" feeling of a Zombie movie.
We only play with the first edition and first add-on, but we probably will get the other ones!

Enjoy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
.....the game can be analyzed till the cows come home......I've seen someone spend 10 minutes on their turn hemming and hawing and negotiating w/other players......

I've seen this happen too, and I was genuinely shocked. I mean, the box itself says "This one's a no-brainer!", and I find it hard to think of another game for which the phrase 'Beer & Pretzels' is more apt.

I don't absolutely hate this game - as I said above, the cards are genuinely funny, and the whole thing really does invoke a George A Romero film - but it is not to be taken in any way seriously and should be treated as a bit of fun.

zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian R
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good idea / house rule is to augment the death limit and movement rules.

For example, limiting the number of times a player can die to three will prevent everyone from just throwing bodies into walls of zombies until they "get to the choppa". Have a player enter a frenzy after their second death and allow them to roll 2d6 for movement. Usually at that point in the game anything near the center of town is completely gone.

We also slip the helipad into the deck about halfway to 2/3 of the way through. Also, never re-shuffle the event cards. This will only prolong the game and land you in no-fun city.

These are just suggestions that seem to work for my group with the style of Zombies!!! that we play. They help our games go much quicker. Just play around and find some variants that work well with your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Taraday
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
I heard the 6th expansion is also amazing for speeding up the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom mclain
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thanks all:
I really like the timer suggestion as ist gives the game a "space hulk" panic kind of feel. Also as suggested I picked up the 6th expansion game with subways and sewers. Not only did it help speed up our 5 five player game, I won it with the help of a subway to the heliport tile!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls