Hide
17 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Questions before First Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott M
msg tools
I have a few questions before playing a first game this weekend.

6 Player Game (all new players), second edition

1. Player Interaction

How do most groups handle player to player communication?

Open discussions? Talking in a private room? Text Messaging?

2. Tides of Battle Cards

Use them or not?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We allow private or open diplomatic discussions.

NO! - NO ToB cards (they suck!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
NO! - NO ToB cards (they suck!)

I disagree. For the first few games you should play without the ToB cards because there's already plenty stuff to learn and get used to. When everybody has some experience the ToB cards help to make sure people aren't pre-calculating all battles. For my group it adds to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Open discussion, the game is long enough without adding more factors that would make it even longer. Also, the situation is in most cases clear for all parties involved, so little sense to make it secret.
In some cases you may be vague or only hint at some possibilities if you don't want to reveal your plans to everybody.

2. Definitely no ToB for the first game, but you should try this variant in the future. For some groups it works well, for others not so much, but it's worth trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markús Ingólfsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Here we always talk openly but also have the option to go into a room for private plans. It lengthens the game but it has a charm to it.

2. I play with ToB and I strongly recommand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will need actual ravens for full theme immersion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. All talk is open on the table. Spies being active in the world and whatnot.

2. There must be some randomness in battle. No plan survives contact with the enemy. TOB works great. It adds just that small amount of the unknown to combat. In our games, most of the time they weren't a factor. Maybe once per game do you get an upset, but if there is never a chance to get a result that is not a forgone conclusion then combat for me is just too stale. Try it both ways and decide as a group whatever works for you! Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jom bee
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all very much for your input!

Very much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Hyyryläinen
Finland
Kotka
flag msg tools
mb
2. It's a matter of everyone's taste really. We think that the battles should be somewhat unpredictable and always play with TOB but we remove the "+3" cards so that they are not too strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Combs
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Our playgroup is split 2/4 on this matter with the 4 liking the TOB.

I like the idea about removing the +3. I think it's too much and it weakens the choice of house cards.

This is especially problematic regarding sea battles which are so important and the amount of units engaged are pretty low compared to land battles - which makes the ToB even more deceicive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jom bee
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
deewhistler wrote:
2. It's a matter of everyone's taste really. We think that the battles should be somewhat unpredictable and always play with TOB but we remove the "+3" cards so that they are not too strong.

InFrom wrote:
Our playgroup is split 2/4 on this matter with the 4 liking the TOB.

I like the idea about removing the +3. I think it's too much and it weakens the choice of house cards.

This is especially problematic regarding sea battles which are so important and the amount of units engaged are pretty low compared to land battles - which makes the ToB even more deceicive.

Thank you very much for all of your input!

We used the Tides of Battle cards (as is) in our first game and everyone really liked them. They changed the outcome of 2 battles in a 10 turn game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naveed Farbakhsh
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I disagree. Tides of Battle Cards are very good. The reason they are good is because it immensely speeds up the game, makes it more relaxing, because players can't take for ever to math out perfect moves.

Yes the con is it adds luck.

If you want the game to last 10 hours, dont use the Tides of Battles. If you want an actual 2 or 3 hour game, use Tides of Battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We never use TOB cards, never, and we can play 2 games in a day if we start at 11am, we usually have 5-7 players. We use 3-minute timers for a player to make a decision. Our feeling is, "if you want to play Risk, play Risk...if you want to play AGoT, then play AGoT (No TOB cards)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
We never use TOB cards, never, and we can play 2 games in a day if we start at 11am, we usually have 5-7 players. We use 3-minute timers for a player to make a decision. Our feeling is, "if you want to play Risk, play Risk...if you want to play AGoT, then play AGoT (No TOB cards)."

Comparing TOB cards to risk is bit much. It adds some randomness, but in my experience the winner was a surprise in only 10% of the battles. Take the 2 'three' cards out and most battles are determined by the house cards and armies there. TOB add just a little bit of unpredictability.

Good for you using a timer to keep things going though.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with a bit of luck? It's not that all battles are decided mathematically. Sure, most of the battles are won by the side with the biggest/best army but there are plenty of examples in history (or in AGOT for that matter) where a smaller or inferior army wins. I don't see how the ToB cards don't fit in, even the very rare +3. Battle is chaos with limited or maybe even inaccurate information and once in a while the outcome isn't what you've expected on forehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wspier wrote:
What's wrong with a bit of luck? It's not that all battles are decided mathematically. Sure, most of the battles are won by the side with the biggest/best army but there are plenty of examples in history (or in AGOT for that matter) where a smaller or inferior army wins. I don't see how the ToB cards don't fit in, even the very rare +3. Battle is chaos with limited or maybe even inaccurate information and once in a while the outcome isn't what you've expected on forehand.

...because at it's core, AGoT is not a luck-based game, that is the entirety of the appeal, that's what makes AGoT special, unique and different. We play lots of "Area-Control / Resource Management / Direct-to-Dice" type games, most of them are in the "Big Box O'Toys - 'Ameritrash'" style: Twilight Imperium 3rdEd, Axis & Allies, Shogun / Ikusa, Attack! The Expansion (deluxe optional rules), Conquest of the Empire II (Eagle).

What makes AGoT so different and interesting in comparison to all of these other games is precisely that there is no "luck."

Wouldn't chess be more fun if every piece upon combat rolled [1] d20 die?...whichever piece rolled a higher number wins...each unit in chess gets some kind of modifier (drm)...Queen +12, Rooks +8, Pawns (-2)...so on and so forth. Let's do that, it will be marvy and fab.

(sorry, just can't resist the sarcasm, not trying to be mean, just trying to make a point).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to use the example of the Battle of the Bastards as an example of what the ToB cards represent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.