Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a German commander gives a turn to a German soldier who has used up all his turns, would you re-roll the German Activation Number or just use the same one that the commander used? Since you roll a new number on a new turn ... I'm not sure if I think this is a "new turn" for the soldier or not.

Thanks for any comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you rolled for the action phase, not for the turn. It's still the same activation so I don't see why you'd re-roll. (Caveat: it's been ages since I played, so don't take that as gospel.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response.

Pg 15 says:
Quote:
At the beginning of each turn in which one or more Germans soldiers may act, roll one die and note the result on the German Action Track"

For the sequence of play, each Round consists of an Action Phase during which soldiers get 1 or 2 Turns. So, I've always rolled the GA# for the units on the 2 Turn line, and then again when getting to the 1 Turn line. I think this is correct because it says "beginning of each turn" and not each Round or Action Phase. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

I kept going in my current game and kept the action number the same, but just was wondering if maybe it should've changed since it was, in effect, a "new turn" for that particular soldier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wsmithjr wrote:
For the sequence of play, each Round consists of an Action Phase during which soldiers get 1 or 2 Turns. So, I've always rolled the GA# for the units on the 2 Turn line, and then again when getting to the 1 Turn line. I think this is correct because it says "beginning of each turn" and not each Round or Action Phase. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

Look at Commanders Giving Turns on page 13:

rules wrote:
Only soldiers occupying the 1-Turn or Complete space can be given a turn...

Sounds to me like you've already rolled for the soldier's turn before the Commander gives him one. But as I mentioned it's been a very long time for me; I keep meaning to revisit but never seen to get there. Hopefully somebody who's been playing more recently will weigh in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
China Majesty
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Great question!

I have been playing this recently and had that situation come up.

First off - it is correct to roll a German Action # twice during one Action Round. So all Germans on the 2 Turns line of the Action Round Track would all use the same number and then you re-roll the German Action # before beginning to resolve all the actions Germans take who are on the 1 Turn line.

Now if a German Commander on the 2 Turns line uses an action to command a soldier who is on the 1 Turn line or in the Complete space, you'd use the same German Action # rolled prior to resolving the 2 Turns actions (the same result which caused the commander to give a turn to another soldier). They are taking the action for that turn in place of the commander.

Likewise if a German Commander on the 1 Turn line gives a command to a German in the Complete space you'd use the current German Action # for the 1 Turn line.

Where this gets tricky is when the German Commander is on the 1 Turn line and gives a command to a soldier on the 1 Turn line. In this case, if you used the current 1 Turn German Action #, you'd end up using that same number again when that soldier takes their normal 1 Turn action.

Doing it that way seems like a reasonable interpretation of rules as written, but I believe the intention of the rules is to mix up the German Actions and not ever have them automatically repeat the same action twice. So the way I play it is to roll a special German Action # in that case then use the current 1 Turn German Action # to resolve the normal 1 Turn action.

Keep in mind how ever you do it, it isn't completely "wrong". This game works fine however you determine each German Activation #, but I do believe any scenario in which they would automatically do the same thing twice should involve an extra roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts.

My case is the second ... the commander on the 1 turn space giving a turn to a soldier on the Complete space.

However, I hadn't thought about it in regards to your third scenario. That said, I don't know if it would come up. Officers seem to be higher letters (at least the first 2 scenarios) and I believe you go alphabetically to resolve German actions, so it might never come up. Still, good to keep in mind. Even better, it all makes sense to me.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william hill
msg tools
mb
Wow.
thx for the heads up that each Turn within the Round gets a new German activation number! I was reading it as per Round, not per Turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william hill
msg tools
mb
Re: German Activation Number
Activation during Rounds (Rule section 6/6) explains a unique situation where a new German Activation number is rolled for AR track placement! (This roll serves double duty; not only the new action number for all German actions for that turn, but also AR track placement location (this is usually always an initiative roll process, so it confused me at first.)

I think I understand it tho. The new activation number allows for the German's AR track placement to not require a new initiative roll (which would disrupt currently placed markers, of course.)

Just an observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.