Hide
4 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » General

Subject: Digital Game "You still have open moves" Error rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gil & Jamie
msg tools
Apparently, the latest update in the past few hours makes it so a player cannot start a new game if they have a game in progress in which it is their turn. If a new game is started, it returns an error, "Error: EX You still have open moves! Please make your moves before starting a new game."
If this was changed to stop some method of cheating, I fully support it. If that is the case, disregard the rest of this post :-)
Otherwise, please allow me to express my strong opposition and a plea to remove this restriction.
I only play 48 hour games due to my life schedule. However, when I do find time to play, I very much like the closer-to-real-time interaction that sometimes comes from players who are online at the same time I am. When I get back to the game, it has been a while, however, and the players who have made moves are not actively playing any more. So, I have to work through all those active games (I am probably a higher-volume player - I have played 8600 total games - and I usually try and keep 20+ games going at a time). Since I know they are probably not online, I have always started a new game before I start working through the ones that are (likely) not active. Yes, that makes it take longer to get through them, because I keep getting interrupted with the new game, but that's a positive thing.
Additionally, when I win a game, I have always immediately started a new game (with exception if I'm trying to end my session) so as to keep the enjoyable experience going.
Now, with this update, I have to get through all of the (relatively) inactive games before I can start a new (hopefully) active one. Once I've done that, however, I am left with a void of games to sequence through while I wait either for the active player to make a move or for a new pairing to be made. Call me spoiled, but those feel very agonizingly slow for me now and I don't like how I feel gyped or like I have to switch to an AI game or just close it out while I wait. I'm not ready to move on and it diminishes my experience.

If someone in the know can give a reason for this switch, please can you let me know why? And again, if it was to stop cheating, I can support that. But, if it was simply to slow down us obsessive people who play waaay too many games, I'd come back with another, "why?" and "is that really a good thing for the game?"
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biggs Larkdighter
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a long and active discussion on the facebook group right now about this. The WW folks have even chimed in.

From what I gather, this change was made to address gaming the leveling system, and some other general complaints they have received.

1) People were gaming the leveling system by starting a ton of games and then not playing the games they were going to lose until they leveled. Now they have to play all their current games, even the ones they are losing, in order to start new games.

2) People were slow playing against specific players. If someone had a bunch of games pending against top ranked players, they would intentionally play those games really slow to reduce the frequency that they get matched up against those players.

3) Aside from the leveling system, there were some people that just weren't playing games they were going to lose. They would let those games linger as along as possible.

I was like you, as soon as I finish a game I would start a new one. And I would start new games while I was working through my queue so that my queue wouldn't run out. This will take some adjustment, but in all I think it will be a good thing.

My only request to WW was that I still be allowed to start a real-time game if I have 48 hour games pending. They said they would consider it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biggs Larkdighter
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They actually just changed this feature based on player feedback. We will no longer see that error message if we are trying to start a realtime game, or if we recently made a move in our open games. So as long as we've taken our turn recently in a 48 hour game, we can start new games even if have some open 48 hour games awaiting our turn. I don't know what "recently" means, i.e., how much time, but if you have a game that's been waiting for your turn for a certain amount of time, you won't be able to start any new games until you take your turn in those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil & Jamie
msg tools
Thank you very much for relaying these thoughts!
That definitely helps me see the reasoning. The ranking system has never sat well with me - it certainly isn't the best. And, I don't think the change to disallow dropping below your current rank was good for the system - as evidenced by the valid concerns you outlined of people gaming the system. But, now I can express why I don't like the current ranking system as it gives these opportunities. I don't think the change to restrict starting new games was the best way to respond. I look forward to when this gets removed and I can carry on with my obsessive way of playing the game :-)
Thanks, Larkdighter (or should I say, DarkLighter?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.