WarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: So what are the problems with rules and unbalance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mateusz
Poland
Silesia
flag msg tools
I own this game with expansion but for now, still have been playing base game. We enjoyed it, however didn't play enough times to judge if there are any problems with the game itself.

Could anyone write all known problems with base game, best house-rules and what is solved by adding expansion?
Moreover, I still am not sure if ranged elves are OP because of "Slow posion" or something more?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I only played the game once so far, without the expansion (own it, haven't tried it yet).

We played humans vs night elves.
To be honest? The cleric's heal seems like far more op than anything the night elves have.

Although I would also say that that dice for resources seem to be the most important factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My issue with the game is that each time we played it always came down to one major battle and that was pretty much the only battle fought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:
My issue with the game is that each time we played it always came down to one major battle and that was pretty much the only battle fought.

That has been my experience with 2p games. In theory, this can be mitigated by not committing everything to that "one big battle", but in practice, it does always seem to come down to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz
Poland
Silesia
flag msg tools
Interesting. Me and my brother had about 5 battles during single game, always fighting for resources

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Moos
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Turtling" tends to be a strong strategy in any game that doesn't actively encourage you to seek conflict early. So without a proper incentive otherwise, that is the strategy that people tend to adopt.

However if you have a non-turtle player, this is much less of an issue. I played and enjoyed the base game many times and never had issues with OP abilities.

Said that though I would still recommend the updated abilities from the expansion even if you use nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
It is to this game's credit that the annoying strategies are the same ones you would use in WC3: turtling, blademaster rush etc. I can't really answer for balance issues with the original because we've never played without the expansion. Frankly there is SO LITTLE to do in the original game, the expansion adds a massive amount of strategy, options, replay value etc.

I am also willing to bet nobody would be turtling with the expansion because going around with your hero and creeping is a major mechanic and you'll be left behind if you don't play at least a little aggressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.