Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I've played the game now about 5 times. I only have the core set right now, so I've just been using Roland Banks solo. Well last night I decided to play 2 characters and added Wendy to the game and started the campaign.

Ok, so here is what my question is regarding.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Combat with the Ghoul Priest at the end of 'The Gathering'.

I just need to make sure I did this right.

So when he spawned, his prey ability caused him to engage with Roland. I passed thru the mythos phase (which resulted in Frozen in Fear for Roland) and started the investigation phase. I evaded (2 actions because of Frozen in Fear) with Roland, which is a chore in itself because of his horrid agility (which actually makes me think of another question I'll get to in a minute). MOved him to the parlor for the 3rd action.

Started Wendy's turn (she has 4 actions because of the amazing Louisiana Lou - or whatever his name is). So, because Roland evaded the creature, it is exhausted and unengaged. According to the rules, I can fight a monster that is unengaged, so Wendy starts beating the hell out of it with a baseball bat with no fear of 'Retribution' because the monster is exhausted right?

Then when it's the enemy phase, hunter does not trigger because he is exhausted, right? So I start the next turn and Wendy engages the monster and then evades again to exhaust it so that Roland can move in and blow it away with his .45

Am I doing all of this right or did I break a rule somewhere?

Also, the asset cards that give you a free action to spend a resource to pump a skill.... these can be used repetitively on the same skill as long as you have the resources.

so the best part of this whole game was the mental image of
Spoiler (click to reveal)

The crazed little orphan girl beating the hell out this giant gangly ghoul priest with a baseball bat while the detective hides in another room scared to lose his last bit of sanity.

So good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the asset is fast I believe you can use them w/o incurring attacks of opportunity, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Everything else sounds like you got it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't see any obvious problems here. Great picture at the end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phaelen2003 wrote:
Then when it's the enemy phase, hunter does not trigger because he is exhausted, right? So I start the next turn and Wendy engages the monster and then evades again to exhaust it so that Roland can move in and blow it away with his .45

Seemed mostly correct, except for this one thing. An exhausted enemy doesn't attack, this is true. However, in the Reset/Cleanup, the monster readies, then if it's not aloof, and if there's an investigator in the same space (Wendy), it would engage that investigator immediately.

Technically you spent an extra action with Wendy engaging the enemy, when you didn't need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chbyer wrote:
If the asset is fast I believe you can use them w/o incurring attacks of opportunity, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Ah good point on that. Lot's to keep track of for sure. I will keep this in mind. I don't believe it was Fast. So potentially, the only thing I messed up was the agility check for Roland.

This is good to know. The combination of the 2 was fantastic.

Oh, just thought of 1 more question.

Wendy Adams blows thru her deck because of those AMAZING rogue skills. What happens when you run out of cards. I skimmed rules for it, but couldn't find if you are supposed to re-shuffle or are SOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
phaelen2003 wrote:

Seemed mostly correct, except for this one thing. An exhausted enemy doesn't attack, this is true. However, in the Reset/Cleanup, the monster readies, then if it's not aloof, and if there's an investigator in the same space (Wendy), it would engage that investigator immediately.

Technically you spent an extra action with Wendy engaging the enemy, when you didn't need to.

Good point. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phaelen2003 wrote:
chbyer wrote:

Ah good point on that. Lot's to keep track of for sure. I will keep this in mind. I don't believe it was Fast. So potentially, the only thing I messed up was the agility check for Roland.

Wendy Adams blows thru her deck because of those AMAZING rogue skills. What happens when you run out of cards. I skimmed rules for it, but couldn't find if you are supposed to re-shuffle or are SOL.

For a card like Hyperawareness or Physical Training, you only spend an Action when paying the Resource cost and putting the card on the table. After that, spending Resources to boost Skills takes no time (and yes, you can spend 3 Resources and get +3 Evasion).

When you reach the bottom of your deck, take 1 Horror and reshuffle. Yes, Agnes can kill monsters just by shuffling her discards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
phaelen2003 wrote:
chbyer wrote:

For a card like Hyperawareness or Physical Training, you only spend an Action when paying the Resource cost and putting the card on the table. After that, spending Resources to boost Skills takes no time (and yes, you can spend 3 Resources and get +3 Evasion).

When you reach the bottom of your deck, take 1 Horror and reshuffle. Yes, Agnes can kill monsters just by shuffling her discards...

So, boosting your agility with physical training during an evade check does not provoke an attack of opportunity?

Such good info. Thank you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phaelen2003 wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
phaelen2003 wrote:
chbyer wrote:

So, boosting your agility with physical training during an evade check does not provoke an attack of opportunity?

Such good info. Thank you all!

Any ability marked with the lightning bolt icon is a Free Triggered Abilities. You can do as many of them as you want within a Player Window, notwithstanding any specific restrictions they have. Player Windows are described in the Timing Charts in the appendices of the rules.

During a skill check, the player windows are immediately after determining what kind of check you're doing and immediately after committing cards. Once the chaos token is drawn, which is the next step, there are no more player windows for the skill check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Deas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, one other suggestion for you. If you are talking about spoilers it is good to mention the scenario in the subject, or at least not in a spoiler text block. People will know whether they've played the scenario in question without having to see the spoiler text.

Incidents like your closing image are one of the most fun parts of Arkham. They make for very entertaining stories in nearly every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.