Subject: To Sleeve or Not to Sleeve! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff tilden
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'm wondering if others who have the game think it's necessary to Sleeve all the cards. It's a lot of cards and a steep price to buy all the needed sleeves. I also heard that you just need to Sleeve the action cards.

Appreciate thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1855072/it-worth-getting-de...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeve the action cards, the state cards, and certain numbers, and then the exploration cards.
You don't need to sleeve terrain and adventure cards.
Of course you will have to read some spoilers to know which numbers we would recommend sleeving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all of them, it just not required. (and I am an avid sleever!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why sleeve? We'll all be dead soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Because the game is rare, expensive, and the cards are easily worn. Wear and tear of this game is too fast to wait for our bodies to turn cold, hence the need to sleeve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C GX
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the cards that goes into your inventory (satchel) easily recognizable?

From what I understand, the binder that will come with the game won't accept sleeved cards. If so, I would not sleeve those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Someone will inherit my copy when I die. They won't want a worn-out game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Someone will inherit my copy when I die. They won't want a worn-out game.

Hmmm, ok, solid point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brach Munoz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gingrasc wrote:

From what I understand, the binder that will come with the game won't accept sleeved cards. If so, I would not sleeve those cards.

Crap... the publisher needs to take note of this and allow for it in the design or i guess you then take them out of their sleeves when they go in the book.

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b4retina wrote:
gingrasc wrote:

Crap... the publisher needs to take note of this and allow for it in the design or i guess you then take them out of their sleeves when they go in the book.

thanks.

For my part, I'd like them to make the Satchel and add-on purchase since I don't intend to use it sleeves-friendly or not. It's strange to bundle an accessory with gameplay content to me... it's not like some stretch goal we unlocked.. they are making you buy the satchel if you want the new expansion... just seems strange.

Who's with me!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
zjhomrighaus wrote:
b4retina wrote:
gingrasc wrote:

thanks.

For my part, I'd like them to make the Satchel and add-on purchase since I don't intend to use it sleeves-friendly or not. It's strange to bundle an accessory with gameplay content to me... it's not like some stretch goal we unlocked.. they are making you guy the satchel if you want the new expansion... just seems strange.

Who's with me!?

It won't be made by normal board game manufacturers so they probably have a fairly high minimum order to make it worthwhile. It's the sort of thing that's cheap if you want 1000s but more costly for just 50 or so. They likely decided they wanted to do it and figured it was better to just give it to everyone rather than make the pledge a few dollars cheaper but make it a $10 add-on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never sleeve, play naturally...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
It won't be made by normal board game manufacturers so they probably have a fairly high minimum order to make it worthwhile. It's the sort of thing that's cheap if you want 1000s but more costly for just 50 or so. They likely decided they wanted to do it and figured it was better to just give it to everyone rather than make the pledge a few dollars cheaper but make it a $10 add-on.

Oh, 100% this is why they did it... but I have to object with the word give (bolded above). They aren't giving it us... they are making us purchase it IF we want the new expansion. That's my problem with it.

I'd prefer they make some assumption about how many satchels they'll sell and price it accordingly. If they can sell more, they get to pocket those savings themselves. I'm 100% fine if they want to bundle things together to entice people to go all-in. So have all those pledge levels out there... but just make it an option for me to buy only the gameplay content and not accessories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's generally better to always use sleeves, particularly if you don't know who you're playing with. That said, if you're careful and know and mitigate the risks, playing unsleeved can be far more satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russonc wrote:
Never sleeve, play naturally...

Gaming "commando", eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gingrasc wrote:

You won't know before you find them. And some of those you'll find will require a good shuffle beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judith Groen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mb
My big question is, does it still fit in the box when it's sleeved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and mine is: do we need a new thread on this topic every day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
Ft. Mitchell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Staunch wrote:
My big question is, does it still fit in the box when it's sleeved?

The new campaign says in a couple of places that everything will fit in the new expansion box even when sleeved.

Though, now that I think about it, there may be some question as to whether he means all of the sleeved cards only or all of the sleeved cards + non-card components...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think this is a simple question.

If you are one of the (what seems like the) majority who think they have to sleeve nearly every card in every game, then of course you will sleeve this one.

If you are like me and have never sleeved anything (not even Dominion which has been played hundreds if not thousands of times in our house, with very frequent shuffling and other handling of cards - yes the Coppers and Estates show a bit of wear but it's not remotely enough to spoil the game) and regard the whole sleeving business as a con designed to make money out of over-precious gamers - then you will not bother.

Really not sure what else needs to be said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's never necessary to sleeve, well used cards have a great feel, you know the game is loved and played! I often feel that bgg is full of players always looking for a new game, buying a game, sleeving it and then playing it 5 times tops... no need for sleeves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The greatest friend an adult gamer can have is also the greatest enemy of cardboard - Beer.

When playing with other gamers, I often sleeve to mitigate disasters involving the precious gold liquid.

However, with this game, (which I consider a solo game), I think I can be personally responsible enough to keep the great destroyer far away from the game.

That leaves the other issue - wear and tear. The issues here are 1) ability to identify particular cards, and 2) general unreadability of the card.

I don't think 1) is particularly an issue, as long as the cards wear fairly evenly (i.e. there aren't particular cards in a given deck that are shuffled less frequently than the others).

For 2), if you've played so much that this happens, you probably know the cards so intimately, that you know what they do at a simple glance.

Your only other reason to sleeve boil down to 1) you're a collector/board game art afficianado, or 2) you want to resell it, but still play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
I really think this is a simple question.

If you are one of the (what seems like the) majority who think they have to sleeve nearly every card in every game, then of course you will sleeve this one.

If you are like me and have never sleeved anything (not even Dominion which has been played hundreds if not thousands of times in our house, with very frequent shuffling and other handling of cards - yes the Coppers and Estates show a bit of wear but it's not remotely enough to spoil the game) and regard the whole sleeving business as a con designed to make money out of over-precious gamers - then you will not bother.

Really not sure what else needs to be said.

I completely agree with this. If you are a sleever, you're gonna spend at much on the game as you do on the sleeves (at least for the core game).

That said, I am a nonsleever and used to sport a no sleeve microbadge. After 8-10 hrs of play, my Action Deck was looking pretty rough, so I bought 150 sleeves and have sleeved those Blue Backed Action cards and some of the hunting cards with the extras I had left over. I'd say the quality of the cards is similar between Dominion and 7th Continent and the edges will start to wear with all the shuffling, but it's not a deal breaker... just seemed like $10 to protect the most handled cards was worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... or I won't bear with you!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
That leaves the other issue - wear and tear. The issues here are 1) ability to identify particular cards, and 2) general unreadability of the card.

I don't think 1) is particularly an issue, as long as the cards wear fairly evenly (i.e. there aren't particular cards in a given deck that are shuffled less frequently than the others).

Well actually there are, Because the cards related to states, hunting, food, knowledge are many with the same number so the need to shuffled more often. This is not a problem in itself, because cards with the same number should get worn evenly.

The small issue will be that the hardly ever used cards (e.g. those exclusive to the expansion you have just started playing with) will be pristine and stand out. The bigger issue is with cards with bent corners or with scratches on the side. While the surface of the cards is excellent you need to be extra careful with bending and with the surface of the cuts. If you are extra careful that should not be a problem, but there is a reason people call me the tank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.