Subject: Question regarding the trade / selling / market phase. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was engaged in going through a dry run of the game with 8 players or so in preparation for the big game in a few days time and when it got to the card trading /market phase (each which lasted 10 minutes), it was pure Bedlam ! everyone shouting etc and not even in my native language.. a real head spinner, I didn't benefit much from it.

What I'm asking is, according to the rules is it ok for me to write on a sheet of paper what I intend to sell and what I intend to buy using thick felt tipped pen writing and then clip that sheet onto my chest to communicate my initial position / needs in the market during that 10 minutes of shouting by everyone ?

I think the sheet of paper will draw the attention of more people initially and I may get the best deals instead of the market dregs which is what I got I thought when I was trying to shout my lungs out at people to get their attention.

Is the sheet of paper with Buy/Sell info on it within the rules ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Richardson
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see how this would be a problem, so long as you don't use it to violate the stated trading rules (like not mentioning calamities, for example).

The web version of Civilization at rol-play.com uses a similar system, with a "public message", usually used to state what one has/wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I would allow it in our games.

That said I think it will be very ineffective. The trading should be hectic and filled with offers and counter offers. You will not be able to write quickly enough to make all the deals you want within a 10 minute period.

Sometimes you will also have to make suggestions to other players that will not be easy to write down in a few words.

I suggest you discuss with your gaming group before the game how to handle trading when not all players have the same native language (which actually sounds like something that will make trading even more interesting).

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is group-dependent. I'd recommend that you ask the table beforehand if it's okay. I think most groups would allow it though, particularly with the language barrier as a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could set up a whiteboard with a big grid on it, listing all of the goods in the game: a column for each commodity stack. Then allow players to write their civilization number in any box for goods they're willing to trade. (Have everyone do this immediately before the trading begins.) And make sure everyone has nametags with their Civ # on it.

I haven't tried this, but I'd like to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.