Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rumour has been out for some time and now FFG has confirmed the update of the MWL and the change to the Banned & Restricted format:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/27/arrest-...

Lots of changes to the Netrunner Meta... I was already happy with Rotation and Core 2.0 but this is icing on the cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This list goes into effect on October 1st, 2017 (Sunday), which would have been an awkward day to make an announcement, so I'm happy they pulled the trigger early. I appreciated the small news article by Michael Boggs. Honestly, I would have preferred to hear him from him first, but I cannot deny that Spoiler-Ken was correct. Perhaps another Steelskin effort should be made.

So, since this is the MWL 2.0 announcement and I didn't see any tiers listed, does this mean Universal Influence is gone? I ask because Boggs didn't explicitly say that in the article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good riddance Faust!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
tommygunn2011 wrote:
So, since this is the MWL 2.0 announcement and I didn't see any tiers listed, does this mean Universal Influence is gone?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
Good riddance Faust!

The only thing I think (may be) missing from this list is DDOS. But maybe without all of the easy recursion, DDOS won't be as generally bad.

Or maybe I'm just salty because I lost to a DDOS-Apocalypse deck yesterday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommygunn2011 wrote:
This list goes into effect on October 1st, 2017 (Sunday), which would have been an awkward day to make an announcement, so I'm happy they pulled the trigger early. I appreciated the small news article by Michael Boggs. Honestly, I would have preferred to hear him from him first, but I cannot deny that Spoiler-Ken was correct. Perhaps another Steelskin effort should be made.

So, since this is the MWL 2.0 announcement and I didn't see any tiers listed, does this mean Universal Influence is gone? I ask because Boggs didn't explicitly say that in the article.

I like this approach much better than UI. Either a card is completely banned or it is part of a set from which only one card can be used. Much mechanically cleaner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say I seriously love these changes. Getting Netrunner back to what the core of the game was originally about. These decisions really show me that Michael Boggs knows what the game is supposed to look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am personally not at all fond of the idea of a Restricted List in particular; I thought the MWL with different levels of Universal Influence was much more elegant.

I can see why bans are necessary, though, even though they are a very blunt instrument.

Anyway, it will probably be good for the game, so whatever...

I am just a little sad that since the community is so enthusiastic about adopting tournament regulations even for casual play, I will not really find opponents to play some of the things I wanted to try. (Not degenerate things; jank that is now no longer legal.)
I just hope that Netrunnerdb keeps the data for the old MWL's, so I can still deckbuild with those if I want (to play casually with my partner).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elegant but ultimately ineffective, and conducive to a reduced variety of viable decks, not greater. People just accepted less influence with which to make interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:

I just hope that Netrunnerdb keeps the data for the old MWL's, so I can still deckbuild with those if I want (to play casually with my partner).

They have so far, so I expect that will continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwalker wrote:
Elegant but ultimately ineffective, and conducive to a reduced variety of viable decks, not greater. People just accepted less influence with which to make interesting decisions.

The more I've thought about the ban list, the more I agree with this assessment of the old MWL. The card pool is big enough that you could just take the best cards in the game, while still having enough options in faction to round out your deck.

It's been pretty fun playing this last week or so where everyone's economy is a lot more limited. It makes the decision of whether or not to run a lot more meaningful. And scoring windows behind ice can actually exist now that the runners don't have infinite credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This plus rotation and Core 2.0 have essentially soft rebooted the game.

We’ve gone from a world of rich Runners and penniless Corps to Runners with limited resources and Corps that can actually afford to Rez their cards. Combined with the changes really clobbering non-interactive decks and the focus is back to running on servers. Old school and much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
This plus rotation and Core 2.0 have essentially soft rebooted the game.

We’ve gone from a world of rich Runners and penniless Corps to Runners with limited resources and Corps that can actually afford to Rez their cards. Combined with the changes really clobbering non-interactive decks and the focus is back to running on servers. Old school and much appreciated.

That is true, but asset spam is still a real thing too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually on the list of problems Asset Spam was not at the top of the list. Also, a side effect of the changes is Asset Spam is less dangerous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
Actually on the list of problems Asset Spam was not at the top of the list. Also, a side effect of the changes is Asset Spam is less dangerous.

How quickly we forget. Asset Spam was *definitely* a thing prior to MWL 2.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asset spam to the level where the Runner literally could not deal with it unless specifically building a deck to do so was one of the biggest problems with what most people regard as the worst cycle (Mumbad). I'm with you - it was a huge problem and I'm glad to see it was reigned in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I agree it could be an issue, but there were bigger ones. I was glad to see the new MWL both hit the worst form of Asset Spam AND hit the most abusive form of Shaper suite too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, I kind of misunderstood what you were saying. My bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.