5 Posts

Naval War» Forums » Rules

Subject: red card clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aelfric Brewer
msg tools
mbmbmb
We play that red cards must be played immediately, and if you are the ONLY fleet they can be played on - i.e., if Additional Damage is drawn and you have the only ship with a salvo on it, or a Minefield or Torpedo Boat is drawn and all other fleets have smoke in front of them - then you MUST play it on yourself.

I don't have my old copy around, so I cannot look up this rule myself. I guess it makes sense for Additional Damage, but is it also true for the Minefield and Torpedo Boat? Are you really required to lay a Minefield in front of yourself, or torpedo one of your own ships, if nothing else can be attacked?

And if you do sink one of your own ships by any of these means, do you get the points yourself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grabbed my set - got the 1982 AH rules.

These are referred to in the rules as 'special play cards' - they include minefields, submarines, torpedo boats, additional damage, and additional ship. Two operative rules:

Play begins with the dealer using all special play cards (if any) that can be used (additional damage cards are simply discarded at this point).

If a special play card is drawn, it must be played at once, counting as that player's one card draw and one card play...Discard any special play card that cannot be played immediately.

That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my 1983 copy of the rules, in the section titled: 'Normal Game Play', the last sentence of the first paragraph is as follows:

"A player may never take any action that will sink or damage one of his own ships."

The 'Submarine', 'Torpedo', and 'Additional Damage' card sections specify those cards must be played on enemy ships (while the Minefield Cards don't have that specificity, see above)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The red cards can't harm the player who drew them in Naval War - unlike in the cousin game Enemy In Sight where they generally do affect the player who drew them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.