Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/352729-146-dems-call-on-tr...

I have formulated the opinion that Trump is not doing what he should or can with respect to the speed and quantity of relief efforts. This may be his Katrina in the making, with the further complication that he might be seen as not having empathy for the Puerto Rican plight. They are U.S. citizens, but I am not sure Trump feels that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
“We have been really treated very, very nicely by the governor and by everybody else.”

“They know how hard we’re working and what a good job we’re doing.”

The governor “is so grateful for the job we are doing. In fact, he thanked me specifically for FEMA and all the first responders.”

“We have had tremendous reviews from government officials.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
"You're doing a heckuva job, Brownie!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
"You're doing a heckuva job, Brownie!"

Or as a friend just corrected me, for Trump, it's "I'm doing a heckuva job, Brownie!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why isn't Kelly or someone ... someone... cluing him in? Are they equally callous to the pain in Puerto Rico?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump at least has some sense of avoiding the PR debacle of his Republican predecessor, and so he's visiting the island Tuesday for the expected photo op.

The interesting part is that he sort of announced this to his staff with little warning (if Politico can be believed), and so everybody's scrambling for a presidential trip to Puerto Rico, to an island in the midst of a humanitarian nightmare with an infrastructure in complete disarray.

It's just like anything else with Team Trump: amateur hour incompetent theatrics, declare everything's great in the midst of a PR shitshow, and go home to leave your various surrogates in the press shop and friendly media outlets to completely twist what you actually said into what you meant to say. Then on to the next drunken-uncle confrontation completely of your own making.

Then Trump base voters declare any complaints as virtue-signaling, and the world spins on its axis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Why isn't Kelly or someone ... someone... cluing him in? Are they equally callous to the pain in Puerto Rico?

They can't vote so they don't count. Guam gets viewed in the same a lot I suspect. Both suffer from talent drain, the armed forces being one of the easiest ways out, with a lot of remittance going back. There's like more Puerto Ricans abroad than on the island iirc. Plus they aren't white.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
Trump at least has some sense of avoiding the PR debacle of his Republican predecessor, and so he's visiting the island Tuesday for the expected photo op.

I always felt a little bad for W and that picture of him overflying the aftermath of Katrina. Not landing did actually make it easier for the folks working in Louisiana.

===

Now, I wonder where they'll find some Trump fans with signs to cheer him on in Puerto Rico (as they did in Texas, at an unannounced location)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Puerto Rico governor has challenged the acting Department of Homeland Security's characterization of the relief efforts in Puerto Rico as a good news story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/san-juan-mayor-good-news...

While she is right, this is not how you get assistance from Trump. Her comments will lead to Trump shifting blame to Puerto Rico (it is an island, why didn't they tow it out of the way) and less aid.

Edit: this was the San Juan mayor, not the Puerto Rico governor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.salon.com/2017/09/28/we-are-doing-a-great-job-is...

Time will tell, but Trumps response so far has been less then stellar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

I thought that was what his daughter was for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
honestly, the way Trump keeps talking about Puerto Rico's debt issues, it makes me think he's going to demand that privatization be part and parcel of any reconstruction effort, and that he and friends of his will be the ones to benefit from said privatization
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
mightygodking wrote:
honestly, the way Trump keeps talking about Puerto Rico's debt issues, it makes me think he's going to demand that privatization be part and parcel of any reconstruction effort, and that he and friends of his will be the ones to benefit from said privatization

Trump's harping on debt reminds me of the situation in Europe after 2008.

Austerity was their answer for nations that suddenly had a problem , where there had not been a problem before the world economy took a nose dive. And also for Greece, which maybe did have a cultural problem with tax avoidance. But, then the US has that problem too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:

That would be Naomi Klein's thesis applied to previous catastrophes, natural and man made. See for example https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/06/naomi-klein-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

Trump's harping on debt reminds me of the situation in Europe after 2008.

Austerity was their answer for nations that suddenly had a problem , where there had not been a problem before the world economy took a nose dive. And also for Greece, which maybe did have a cultural problem with tax avoidance. But, then the US has that problem too.

US tax avoidance rate is not REMOTELY at the level of Greece's. Most analogies drawn between the Greek and US economies are wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he's so fucking concerned about Puerto Rico's debt, the natural thing to do would be to use the power of his office to maybe forgive part or all of that debt, but you know, Twitter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and what I said earlier? I was dead wrong. Trump wouldn't know a PR debacle if it swatted him upside his shriveled racist apple-doll head.

If it weren't for the fact that the island simply needs basic services restored, I hope Tuesday is filled with massive protests, because good God, calling Trump a piece of shit doesn't remotely do the phrase justice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.