Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have I got this right about how the ambush counters work:

- there are two identical ambush counters
- when an ambush counter is 'revealed' a separate 'ambush result' counter is drawn from a cup
- there are two "genestealer" ambush result counters and four "false alarms"
- so the ambush result has a 1 in 3 chance of being a genestealer, otherwise it is nothing at all (but Marines on overwatch must fire at it)
- the ambush result counter is immediately put back in the cup, so the odds don't change for the next ambush.

So, if, say, someone, for the sake of argument let's make him an awesome Scottish playwright and avante-garde musician, wished to replicate the Deathwing expansion through means that a certain notoriously litigious Workshop that produces Games might not entirely approve of...

I could replicate this mechanic with two ordinary red counters to be the ambush counters, and when one is revealed, roll a d6 and create a genestealer on a 5 or 6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. At the expense of some drama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the placement rules.

"Ambush Blips: Pick Instead of Blip, placed at end of GS
turn, no closer than 6 squares to or in a Marines LoS. Can
move into LoS to convert, no voluntary. If not ‘false
alarm’ Stealer can spend remaining actions. Marine
reaction to Stealer placement is before checking false
alarm, was it just a bug! “you’re reading it wrong!”"

Taken from my print out which if you're making mods you might be interested in. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOua1NGUXo5c0hwWG...

I have OW fire as a choice as that's how we have it as standard but it must be decided before checking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
I have OW fire as a choice

But that's just so wrong. OW fire is mandatory, it's part of the strategy the a GS player can/will use. If it's optional it will change the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:
I have OW fire as a choice

But that's just so wrong. OW fire is mandatory, it's part of the strategy the a GS player can/will use. If it's optional it will change the whole game.

4th edition made OW optional, so that might be where the previous poster got that particular rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd made clearing a Jam a one step, one Command Point procedure. THAT changed the game. 4th making OW optional was icing on the cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.