SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Madman + Dangerous Waters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth Higgs
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting question: Does the Madman give you a glory if you successfully do a Sail endeavor in Dangerous Waters? I know generally Sail Endeavors in Dangerous Waters give no glory, but I wondering if The Madman gives you a Glory for the endeavor being in a dangerous site.

We said yes, in our game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Killrrhubarb wrote:
An interesting question: Does the Madman give you a glory if you successfully do a Sail endeavor in Dangerous Waters? I know generally Sail Endeavors in Dangerous Waters give no glory, but I wondering if The Madman gives you a Glory for the endeavor being in a dangerous site.

We said yes, in our game.

I would say no. The game in general calls everything involving a die roll endeavors, but I have long suspected that was an editing mistake ("Hey, I've got an idea: why don't we do a global search/replace to change all instances of "die roll" to "endeavor", because it sounds more thematic?" "Great idea!"). But actually there are "Endeavors" (which is a procedure you go through to determine if certain actions like Explore or Raid work), and "other rolls that are referred to as Endeavors" which are called for by Booke entries, event cards, etc. The rules say that you get Glory for succeeding at an Endeavor, but clarifications have made it clear that only that first class of Endeavors count as Endeavors for purpose of that rule -- and I think those same clarifications should apply to this question.

However, I know of no official statement to that effect.

From a balance standpoint, how would you deal with people glory-farming this feature? With a little effort, you could arrange to have two whirlpools adjacent to each other. Then you sail a your two ships with full Sail rating (plus upgrades) back and forth between those two hexes for up to 7+ glory each, depending on your luck (and upgrades). You could do that twice per game (say, ~26 vp), unless your games end in less than 7 turns. Which they might, with that kind of glory award.

Given the easy glory, I would think that the campaign would quickly devolve into a fight over the Madman for the right to farm the whirlpools, which doesn't sound that fun.

Edit: fixed some errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Higgs
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory farming is generally not possible from Dangerous Waters because the rules specifically say that Dangerous Waters give no glory, so The Wind Master won't be able to gain glory from simply sailing into them. The question with The Madman is The Madman specifically says "Gain an glory if you take no damage at a Dangerous Site" IIRC. Whirlpools count as Dangerous Sites, but don't give you glory normally, so does the Madman give you glory ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Higgs
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick easy way to answer my own question - read the Madman properly, don't just skim him.
He actually says "Gain an additional Glory if after an endeavor at a dangerous site if you took no damage"
Because it's additional Glory, if you don't get a glory originally, I would suspect you don't get a point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.