Popular Tags: [View All]
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that someone is using a picture I took for a marketplace listing (that sold and had a second copy relisted), for their listing, without asking for permission.

Is there a policy on this? I didn't watermark it or anything, and I'm not sure what the copyright status of pictures posted here is, but it still seems ... unsavory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
E. By uploading User Submissions to Geekdo, you hereby grant each user of the Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display, and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service.

from

https://boardgamegeek.com/terms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
darksurtur wrote:
I noticed that someone is using a picture I took for a marketplace listing (that sold and had a second copy relisted), for their listing, without asking for permission.

Is there a policy on this? I didn't watermark it or anything, and I'm not sure what the copyright status of pictures posted here is, but it still seems ... unsavory.

I suspect it has not heretofore been addressed. Send a geekmail to Octavian about it - this is something that should be nipped in the bud. Yes, you retain your copyright, and no, somebody else should not be using your picture. Apart from the general principle, a purchaser should see the item they are buying, not someone else's copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Quote:
E. By uploading User Submissions to Geekdo, you hereby grant each user of the Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display, and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service.

from

https://boardgamegeek.com/terms

I figured something like that was the case.

It's technically allowed, then. But is it desirable behavior?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:

Maybe they have, because marketplace listing is a place on BGG. Even thou if you sell something the picture should be of the actual product selling.

The only thing simular to this I've seen happened to me was then Dice Tower did use one of my pictures on BGG in one of there videos on youtube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Users are generally allowed to use other users' BGG images here at BGG.

But it seems like misrepresenting a specific product which one is selling is a separate issue, which should surely not be allowed. I.e. even if the user directly asked your permission and you gave your permission, or even if the user in question took their own photo of some other copy of the game they are selling, surely a marketplace listing should show a photo of the actual item being sold, not some other item!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
darksurtur wrote:
I noticed that someone is using a picture I took for a marketplace listing for their listing

Ah yes, I see it. That was pretty easy to spot.

russ wrote:
it seems like misrepresenting a specific product which one is selling is a separate issue, which should surely not be allowed.

Agreed. Looking at the photo, as a buyer I would definitely recognize that as a home-shot photo and believe it was the actual item up for sale (vs. all the listings that just default to publisher's representative image).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the general site policy (cited above), when you go the your Gallery to perform an image upload, note that right below the File Name / Caption / Status bar there is a "Rights:" option, with a "Change this" option. Depending on your setting, you may be:

- All Rights Reserved (still excepting site policy agreement)
- Creative Commons
- No Rights Reserved

You can set this yourself, and save one as default.

Each image is thus uploaded to your gallery with specific "rights" assigned. They do not over-ride the site policy but apply in other cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
In addition to the general site policy (cited above), when you go the your Gallery to perform an image upload, note that right below the File Name / Caption / Status bar there is a "Rights:" option, with a "Change this" option. Depending on your setting, you may be:

- Creative Commons
- No Rights Reserved

Each image is thus uploaded to your gallery with specific "rights" assigned. They do not over-ride the site policy but apply in other cases.

Thanks. I don't believe these options apply to marketplace photos, though, as they are not uploaded to a Gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
ctimmins wrote:

- Creative Commons
- No Rights Reserved

Thanks. I don't believe these options apply to marketplace photos, though, as they are not uploaded to a Gallery.

BGG images are either in specific game galleries or user galleries, and the rules above apply when uploading them here. Image links in the marketplace are either BGG gallery links or links to an external site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
darksurtur wrote:
ctimmins wrote:

- Creative Commons
- No Rights Reserved

BGG images are either in specific game galleries or user galleries, and the rules above apply when uploading them here. Image links in the marketplace are either BGG gallery links or links to an external site.

What "image links" are you talking about? There are no image links, there are just images and they have their own image upload system. Those imgaes show up neither in any personal gallery nor in any game's gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.