Steve Gilbert
United States
Salisbury
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if reselling board games is covered by First Sale Doctrine? If not, how are websites like Ebay, Shopgoodwill, Craigslist, etc. able to sell used games? If it is covered, why are Asmodee and Mayfair able to block 3rd party resellers of used products on Amazon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgilbert wrote:
Just wondering if reselling board games is covered by First Sale Doctrine? If not, how are websites like Ebay, Shopgoodwill, Craigslist, etc. able to sell used games? If it is covered, why are Asmodee and Mayfair able to block 3rd party resellers of used products on Amazon?

I'm assuming that Amazon is the one enforcing the no-resale and has zero to do with a first sale doctrine.

Amazon's playground, Amazon's ball, Amazon's rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rountrey
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Complexity is the only thing that keeps us from predicting every second of our future. hmmm!
badge
“ I am a determinist. As such, I do not believe in free will. " -Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
sgilbert wrote:

I'm assuming that Amazon is the one enforcing the no-resale and has zero to do with a first sale doctrine.

So what if Asmodee payed them to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

My guess would be very similar, Amazon is a big marketplace and it attracts more "attention."

I had a buddy list sealed, unused products as "New" on his Amazon storepage. He got a cease and desist because he wasn't "an authorized dealer." His choice was sell new stock as "like-new" or take it somewhere else. Sold them on eBay as a "new product" without any issues.

Our guess was the company saw the listing and didn't want to compete on a marketplace as big as Amazon (especially since it was a "store"). eBay and others like it weren't worth it because they were individual sales, not "committed retailers".

Just a guess, but that was his experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There doesn't seem to be any reason why 109 wouldn't apply to board games.

Amazon and a given game company are free to come to whatever arrangement on pricing they want, within reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:

Amazon and a given game company are free to come to whatever arrangement on pricing they want, within reason.

Price fixing.

Bad for the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
darksurtur wrote:

Price fixing.

Bad for the community.

Clarification: on "advertised" pricing.

Minimum advertised pricing clauses are legal in the U.S., as far as I know.

Whether they are (economically) harmful is a question I can't answer offhand.

The question of limiting sale or resale to "authorized" dealers is more complex. Their justification as a means to limit counterfeiting seems to be quite compelling to U.S. retailers and courts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JRountrey wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
sgilbert wrote:

That's fine. Their business transaction that has nothing to do with me. Unless of course I am owner of the involved parties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:

from my understanding unless I'm incorrectly including MAP in with vertical market price fixing...

not quite... since the SCOTUS ruling that broke 100 years of precedence that they were illegal... it's now that they are no longer automatically illegal... which barring lawsuits means for practical purposes companies can now engage in it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
sgilbert wrote:

As I understand it, that's pretty much it.

First sale doctrine allows you to resell it if you want, but doesn't give you any rights to a particular marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
darksurtur wrote:

from my understanding unless I'm incorrectly including MAP in with vertical market price fixing...

not quite... since the SCOTUS ruling that broke 100 years of precedence that they were illegal... it's now that they are no longer automatically illegal... which barring lawsuits means for practical purposes companies can now engage in it

That would be a correct understanding. The ruling was that it was situationally legal or illegal and that it would be left up to future rulings to clarify what that meant. As far as I know there have yet to be any subsequent ruling making everything more or less fair game until someone pushes it far enough that a lawsuit happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gilbert
United States
Salisbury
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses. I must admit to hesitating to ask certain questions because of the inevitable troll storms they create on other websites. BGGs rule!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:

I had a buddy list sealed, unused products as "New" on his Amazon storepage. He got a cease and desist because he wasn't "an authorized dealer." His choice was sell new stock as "like-new" or take it somewhere else. Sold them on eBay as a "new product" without any issues.

Our guess was the company saw the listing and didn't want to compete on a marketplace as big as Amazon (especially since it was a "store"). eBay and others like it weren't worth it because they were individual sales, not "committed retailers".

Just a guess, but that was his experience

To clarify, assuming I understand the legalities correctly: I don't think a C&D from ANA holds any legal water whatsoever. ANA has no legal ability to enforce concepts like "authorized distributor". However, ANA has come to an agreement with Amazon to not allow third party sellers (money surely changed hands to make this happen). And Amazon can disallow sellers from their marketplace for any reason they wish (probably would get into hot water over discriminatory reasons, though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
JRountrey wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
sgilbert wrote:

That's fine. Their business transaction that has nothing to do with me. Unless of course I am owner of the involved parties.

It seems equally likely that Amazon might have wanted to avoid taking collateral damage from a guerrilla war between Asmodee, and brick and mortar stores leaking stock into the online channel, with a sideorder of Asmodee action against counterfeits.
Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
darksurtur wrote:

Price fixing.

Bad for the community.

Life always finds a way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ConG wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
JRountrey wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
sgilbert wrote:

It seems equally likely that Amazon might have wanted to avoid taking collateral damage from a guerrilla war between Asmodee, and brick and mortar stores leaking stock into the online channel, with a sideorder of Asmodee action against counterfeits.

Good point. It also provides cover for Asmodee, their primary partner for Asmodee products.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A H
msg tools
ConG wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
JRountrey wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
sgilbert wrote:

B&M are already selling on Amazon, no need to leak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.