Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Laser Chess» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Khet 2.0 - Laser shooting Sphinx! What more one needs? - quick review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb

Laser Chess is a pretty unique game: because it uses lasers and its refraction in mirrors in order to create its gameplay. The idea is use pieces composed by angled mirrors to lead the beam of laser in order to hit the Pharaoh of the opponent, while, at the same time, preventing this fate to happen with yours.

Pieces that are hit by the laser in any part that isn't the mirror (expect the Anubis pieces, that don't have mirrors and are only removed if hit on the sides, not in the front, and the Sphinx pieces), are removed, even if the beam comes from the owner of the piece. Normally the pieces have one mirror in a 45º angle, and are opaque on the other side, where they can be hit and eliminated.

The winner will be the person that hits the Pharaoh of the other person with laser.

Laser Chess is exactly the type of game that slaps me in face: one of my weakness are games that require spatial awareness, such as Ubongo, and with Laser Chess wasn't different, as I suffered dearly trying to cope with the positioning of the pieces close to a minimally efficient way. Usually, since I didn't want to take too long to make a move, I would lost track to where my beam would go, and, worst, what were the options my opponent would have, which windows I should close, and leaving opportunities for they to explore. My first games were ridiculous, almost shameful, but I did got a little better, at least to the point of actually giving some challenge to my adversaries.

And this happened because Laser Chess is a game with simple rules: the movement of pieces isn't complicated, and the laser, always refracted in a 45º, allows, with some attention, to calculate where it will go.

Laser Chess is definitely a good game to teach and exercise the spatial muscles, demanding forward planning, preparation and responses to the opponent's moves. There is no luck in the game, but, luckly, the learning curve isn't too steep, thus, after a few plays, the overall quality will became more balanced - and this is easier to achieve since games last around 20-30 minutes.

The manual comes with several types of possible set ups for the board, which is good, as I notice that, after a chunk of plays with the same formation, some optimal moves start to arise, making at least the start of the match more repetitive, though the second half is player driven, and even same starts can lead to different conclusions.

Laser Chess isn't, normally, the type of game that, in a personal level, pleases me, due to my lack of fine-tuned spatial intelligence and since is 2 players only, yet it is so unique that I'm compelled to know it deeper. I recommend that you at least try it for the novelty.

Regards,

Image credit: sbilbey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game. It is one of my most played. I am OK at chess, but do not love chess (I will play when asked), but I love Khet. When I first played it with my son, we made moves and pressed the laser. The game was fairly quick. The second game, we started to see the longer term strategy. That game took longer. The third game found us sitting for a little longer each move as we had to be more careful. Plus, the game looks cool!

You are right about how the play is simple to learn, but there are many strategies. I love tricking my opponent so they are forced to hit their own piece. My son made a new set up for more variety

If you can get the Eye of Horus beam splitters, it adds a new level of strategy. It also adds 2 new set ups. The splitters also fit in the main box in the spaces marked "Empty".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.