Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just heard about this game and it sounds cool, is it the same as the one that was released in 2016? If I buy this one when it releases would I benefit from buying the original?

Does this one or the original one have kickstarter exclusive content that I can't get anymore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Scholz
Germany
Gütersloh
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War Eternal is a "Stand-alone Expansion".

So you can start with either one and would still benefit form adding the other if you want more variety.

If I remember correctly there are no "Kickstarter Exclusives". Strech Goals were either added too all Games (including retail) or were bundled tgether into an expansion. I believe "The Nameless" is that Expansion for the base game. I expect the same will be done for War eternal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are Kickstarter exclusive cards in the form of Nemesis basic cards and Market set up cards. The market cards are available on the digital randomizer that I'll let you look for.

You don't need Aeon's End to play War Eternal. But Aeon's has a simpler design and is overall an easier game, so it's a good entry point.
Adding Aeon's End to War Eternal gives you more content, so it adds more diversity and replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomizer: https://www.actionphasegames.com/pages/aerandomizer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:
Sadly, War Eternal, The Void, and The Outer Dark not yet added to this randomizer. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
There are Kickstarter exclusive cards in the form of Nemesis basic cards and Market set up cards. The market cards are available on the digital randomizer that I'll let you look for.

Do these exclusives modify or add to gameplay or are they just cosmetic enhancements. If they do modify gameplay is there any way to still get them (besides ebay)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nemesis cards add variability to the Nemesis deck. They take the form of new attacks and powers you'll have to face. They're not exactly good for you. They can be quite brutal too. Not sure you want to face them unless you like pain.
Perhaps you can get them through the next expansion's KS campaign? They were available during the War Eternal KS campaign.
Otherwise well... Ebay whistle

The market set-up cards restrict which cards you can use to build your market. Physical is KS only but youu only really need to know what's on the website Kevin linked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Pretty sure some (maybe all?) of the additional Nemesis cards ended up in The Outer Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not the KS exclusive ones. We unlocked I think maybe 12 of them? At least 9. And the 3 from the previous campaign were not included in The Depths.

Anything that has a P before its identification number isn't available in a boxed product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we have 2 full nemesis decks to play with, the absence of the promo nemesis cards will have far less impact. You're really won't be missing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:

What exactly is the randomizer doing?

Is it suggesting a mage selection and nemesis to best fit a type or market selection?

Why is only 1 nemesis selected per permutation?
(sorry if this is a dumb question)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is generating a random set of mages, a nemesis and market according to some constraints on the market. Just a way for you to decide what to play with more easily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, looks like this is a pass for me unless another kickstarter rolls around for me to pick up the exclusives. I'd rather not own a game at all than own one that was incomplete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:
It is generating a random set of mages, a nemesis and market according to some constraints on the market. Just a way for you to decide what to play with more easily

What if you select some mages, and a nemesis you want to play with, can you then get a market suggestion ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
Thanks guys, looks like this is a pass for me unless another kickstarter rolls around for me to pick up the exclusives. I'd rather not own a game at all than own one that was incomplete.

The Kickstarter exclusives are 9 extra Basic Nemesis cards and the 3 Market randomizer cards.
None of them really alter the game in any way, and the game isn't incomplete without them.
The extra basic Nemesis cards add a small amount of additional variation to the nemesis deck, but there is already enough variation with the 2 boxes, so you won't miss them.
The Market Randomizers aren't used except as an optional market setup restriction, are available to print, and are on the official randomizer web page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:

The extra basic Nemesis cards add a small amount of additional variation to the nemesis deck, but there is already enough variation with the 2 boxes, so you won't miss them.

I will, because I know they exist and they affect gameplay. I realize that some people will consider this strange or irrational but I cannot stand missing anything from a game that I own that has any affect on gameplay at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
abredon wrote:

I will, because I know they exist and they affect gameplay. I realize that some people will consider this strange or irrational but I cannot stand missing anything from a game that I own that has any affect on gameplay at all.

I'm obviously not going to be able to change how you feel about about missing a handful of cards that may not even be included in the setup of the game, but if you're a big fan of co-op games, especially ones where you team up to beat down a big, bad, boss monster, then you're missing out. I pulled the promo cards out myself, due to the different graphical design and I don't even miss them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:

I completely understand this. To make your more comfortable with your decision you'd also be missing Aeon's End: Tabletop Day 2017 Promos – Drown in Flames / Glyph Enigma and these will be even harder to get than the KS exclusive cards.
Again, no big deal gameplay wise, but if you're like me this could really taint your experience.

Hope you find something that floats your boat more. And don't hesitate to try Aeon's End if given the chance anyway, even if you don't purchase it: it kicks arse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I completely understand this. To make your more comfortable with your decision you'd also be missing Aeon's End: Tabletop Day 2017 Promos – Drown in Flames / Glyph Enigma and these will be even harder to get than the KS exclusive cards.
Again, no big deal gameplay wise, but if you're like me this could really taint your experience.

Hope you find something that floats your boat more. And don't hesitate to try Aeon's End if given the chance anyway, even if you don't purchase it: it kicks arse!

Huh, I didn't even know those promos existed. Well, I don't need another nemesis card right now and the spell looks pretty weak. If the amount of content I had for AE didn't just double, I'd probably be more annoyed, but at this point I can do without them.

Now if there's ever an exclusive mage or nemesis released, there might be nerd rage headed from my direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sputang wrote:
Well, I don't need another nemesis card right now and the spell looks pretty weak.

It totally is OP though But it wraps the game around itself so it's fun for a while but it takes too much place. It doesn't guarantee a win though.
Then again if you're playing against Horde-Crone you're golden!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
qxc0 wrote:

What if you select some mages, and a nemesis you want to play with, can you then get a market suggestion ?

It's not using a pairing system between mages and a complimentary market. It's just picking 4 random mages, a random nemesis, and 9 market cards based on some preset conditions for the supply. (made up example: one gem cost 3, one gem cost 4, one gem cost 5, one relic cost 4 or less, one relic of any cost, 2 spells less than 5 cost, 2 spells 5 cost or greater). The 6 preset market cards each have a different recipe for gem, relic, spell counts and costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
sputang wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Huh, I didn't even know those promos existed. Well, I don't need another nemesis card right now and the spell looks pretty weak. If the amount of content I had for AE didn't just double, I'd probably be more annoyed, but at this point I can do without them.

Now if there's ever an exclusive mage or nemesis released, there might be nerd rage headed from my direction.

I'm pretty sure they said at some point that mages and nemeses will never be exclusive. There's a huge difference between a handful of promo cards and actual content. If certain publishers (not naming names but everyone knows who they are) were to be responsible for it, the entirety of the 4 small-box expansions would be exclusives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Here's another way to look at the situation: If you play a different co-op deck builder instead of this one, you're missing 100% of the best content, rather than a tiny bit of inconsequential content. The only way to avoid that problem is to not play any other co-op deck builders either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
weasel47 wrote:
Here's another way to look at the situation: If you play a different co-op deck builder instead of this one, you're missing 100% of the best content, rather than a tiny bit of inconsequential content. The only way to avoid that problem is to not play any other co-op deck builders either.

I like the way you think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make sure we've got the numbers: the "unaccessible" exclusive contents is about 12 cards out of... was it 900-to-1000?
Doesn't have to change the way you feel, but that's the way it is.

To me they don't change gameplay - it's like having a scenario that's a KS-exclusive, and still having a whole 90 or so to play.

I guess you will find a few KS pledges being re-sold too. If anything then just because of the increased difficulty.
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.