Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crital needs a "hit" and Lightning affects multiple times? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two questions:

If I have a critical hit and do two damage, but the two damage are blocked by armor and powers, does the critical hit actually happen?

If I roll 3 lightening and I have a longbow that allows a lightening to be a hit, can I use 3 lighting to create 3 hits?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Anderson
msg tools
1st question:
The critical applies before the defense phase. So all you have to do is obtain one hit. I believe there is a specific example in the rule book for this.

2nd question:
You can only activate an effect once. So 3 lightning bolts and only one bolt effect on your item or power and you can only add one hit. However if you had a second effect on the item or power you could divide up the bolts to pay for multiple effects.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens W.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not completely sure on the first question.

Rulebook paragraph 10.1 (page 35):

"Each time an attack with a critical effect is performed and obtains at least 1 <hit symbol>, before any other effect is applied, draw a critical token...
This means, if the attacker obtains at least one <hit symbol>, the critical is applied before the defender can block it by rolling dice.

The only way for the defender to avoid the critical is to completely ignore the attack by using some special items & powers."

The rulebook actually says it can't be blocked by rolling dice. An effect like a permanent armor or magic shield does cancel a hit. Therefore I'd say, if the critical hits are already completely blocked by armor and magic shields before any dice are rolled, they don't apply. If a defense dice roll is required, the critical effect does apply, regardless of the dice roll result.

On the second question I fully agree with dan's answer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis Xiroyannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JensHW wrote:
An effect like a permanent armor or magic shield does cancel a hit. Therefore I'd say, if the critical hits are already completely blocked by armor and magic shields before any dice are rolled, they don't apply.


I see your point, but I think the sentence "the critical is applied before the defender can block it by rolling dice" is not very successful because although true, it avoids mentioning the other effects of damage mitigation.

However the rule of when a critical applies "obtain at least one hit" plus the clarification of how to avoid a critical "completely ignore the attack by using some special items or power" makes it more likely the explanation Dan gave is the correct one.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kand Affar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
JensHW wrote:

The only way for the defender to avoid the critical is to completely ignore the attack by using some special items & powers.


This language is intended to refer to evasion abilities like Auriel's mirror images.

The designer has weighed in on the timing of critical in earlier threads and basically, all you need is 1 hit at any time during the attack. Using focus before an attack is an effective way of guaranteeing a critical hit, even during the night prologue when heroes have -1 hit.

The only unanswered question is whether a -1 hit critical token would cancel the focus before the crit can apply, and I think the developer's answer to that question would be no, it doesn't.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategic Variant wrote:
1st question:
all you have to do is obtain one hit.


Cozar wrote:
JensHW wrote:

The only way for the defender to avoid the critical is to completely ignore the attack by using some special items & powers.


This language is intended to refer to evasion abilities like Auriel's mirror images.

The designer has weighed in on the timing of critical in earlier threads and basically, all you need is 1 hit at any time during the attack.


If the designer has clarified than I accept that. That said, all the answers I see leave the same ambiguity. To "obtain a hit" can mean just having a hit symbol on a die or it can mean (and should in the story of the game) a hit that causes damage.

The statement "the only way for a defender to avoid a critical is to completely ignore the attack by using some special item" is again vague. Armor is an item that blocks a hit without rolling a die. The confusion is based on the statement referencing dice rolling. It is clear that a critical cannot be blocked by a shield roll on the defense dice. What is not clear by the wording is if armor that negates a hit will preclude a critical. In the narrative of the game, it is hard to imagine a critical hit that does no damage, such a an arrow that glances off the defender's armor. My mind struggles to connect a critical wound to the story event.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kand Affar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Armor doesn't ignore an attack. Armor response to an attack by absorbing hits to prevent damage.

If you want the developers take on it search for the words critical or timing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cozar wrote:
If you want the developers take on it search for the words critical or timing.


Or simply click here and possibly here.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.