Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I need references about benefits of boardgames in developing competences (like math, languages or social competence) in classroom. Although Im looking for scientific articles specifically something like this great article would be also a valid reference
https://nickbentleygames.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/zendo-as-a...

I guess somebody have to had recopiled similar references previously, but Im unable to find it on the forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halloween Jack
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
We have 'The flemish game archive' with an 'study centre'. It has been integrated with teacher traning programma (VIVES) and the research focuses on the use of games in education and more recently in (health)care

The organise training about using games in classroom.

Drop them an e-mail (Celine Goekint) , they might have some articles available in English to get you started.

https://www.vives.be/nl/spellenarchief (there's a contact email on this page)

Some of their trainings

https://www.eekhoutacademy.be/nascholingen/zoeken?zoekterm=s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Alexander
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this:

What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy. Second Edition: Revised and Updated Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Not exactly what you're looking for, but there's a series of books called Teaching Through Games by Chris and Patricia Harris. They all involve board-game-based curriculum used to teach various subjects. Might be worth taking a look at. Just search "Teaching Through Games Chris Harris" on Amazon and you'll see them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
daverave2 wrote:
Try this:

What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy. Second Edition: Revised and Updated Edition

jdaly72 wrote:
Not exactly what you're looking for, but there's a series of books called Teaching Through Games by Chris and Patricia Harris. They all involve board-game-based curriculum used to teach various subjects. Might be worth taking a look at. Just search "Teaching Through Games Chris Harris" on Amazon and you'll see them.

Looks like I have lots to read

In anycase as it looks like is harder than I suspected I will share a couple studies I found in case anyone is interested.

Chess therapy: A new approach to curing panic attack. Barzegar K, Barzegar S.Asian J Psychiatr. 2017 Sep 1;30:118-119

Your move: The effect of chess on mathematics test scores. Rosholm M, Mikkelsen MB, Gumede K.PLoS One. 2017 May 11;12(5)

Individuals with Alzheimer's learn to play a tile placement game: Results of a pilot study. Miltiades HB, Thatcher WG. Dementia (London). 2016 Oct 25

Board game versus lecture-based seminar in the teaching of pharmacology of antimicrobial drugs--a randomized controlled trial. Karbownik MS, Wiktorowska-Owczarek A, Kowalczyk E, Kwarta P, Mokros Ł, Pietras T.FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2016 Apr;363(7)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! Here are some.

Berland, M. (2011). Understanding strategic boardgames as computational-thinking training machines. In G. Costikyan & D. Davidson (Eds.), Tabletop: Analog game design (pp. 167–173). Pittsburgh, PA: ETC Press.

Berland, M., & Lee, V. R. (2011). Collaborative strategic board games as a site for distributed computational thinking. International Journal of Game-Based Learning, 1, 65–81. doi:10.4018/ijgbl.2011040105

Crocco, F., Offenholley, K., & Hernandez, C. (2016). A proof-of-concept study of game-based learning in higher education. Simulation & Gaming, 1046878116632484. doi:10.1177/1046878116632484

Duncan, S. C., & Berland, M. (2012). Uncovering play through collaboration and computation in tabletop gaming. Presented at the Meaningful Play 2012, East Lansing, MI.

Elofsson, J., Gustafson, S., Samuelsson, J., & Träff, U. (2016). Playing number board games supports 5-year-old children’s early mathematical development. The Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 43, 134–147. doi:10.1016/j.jmathb.2016.07.003

Horn, M. S., Weintrop, D., Beheshti, E., & Olson, I. D. (2012). Spinners, dice, and pawns: Using board games to prepare for agent-based modeling activities. Presented at the American Educational Research Association annual meeting, Vancouver, BC.

Jiménez, O., Acholonu, U., & Arena, D. (2014). Tug-of-War: Seeking help while playing an education card game. In F. C. Blumberg (Ed.), Learning by playing: Video gaming in education (pp. 232–245). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.

Jiménez, O., Arena, D., & Acholonu, U. (2011). Tug-of-War: A card game for pulling students to fractions fluency. In C. Steinkuehler, C. Martin, & A. Ochsner (Eds.), Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Games + Learning + Society Conference (pp. 119–127). Pittsburgh, PA: ETC Press.

Kaufman, G. F., & Flanagan, M. (2013). Lost in translation: Comparing the impact of an analog and digital version of a public health game on players’ perceptions, attitudes, and cognitions. International Journal of Gaming and Computer-Mediated Simulations, 5, 1–9. doi:10.4018/jgcms.2013070101

Kaufman, G., & Flanagan, M. (2016a). Digital divide: Comparing the impact of digital and non-digital platforms on player behaviors and game impact. In B. Dubbels (Ed.), Transforming Gaming and Computer Simulation Technologies across Industries (pp. 94–101).

Kaufman, G., & Flanagan, M. (2016b). Playing the system: Comparing the efficacy and impact of digital and non-digital versions of a collaborative strategy game. In Proceedings of the First International Joint Conference of DiGRA and FDG.

Laski, E. V., & Dulaney, A. (2015). When prior knowledge interferes, inhibitory control matters for learning: The case of numerical magnitude representations. Journal of Educational Psychology. doi:10.1037/edu0000034

Laski, E. V., & Siegler, R. S. (2014). Learning from number board games: You learn what you encode. Developmental Psychology, 50, 853–864. doi:10.1037/a0034321

Lieberoth, A. (2015). Shallow gamification: Testing psychological effects of framing an activity as a game. Games and Culture, 10, 229–248. doi:10.1177/1555412014559978

Peppler, K., Danish, J. A., & Phelps, D. (2013). Collaborative gaming teaching children about complex systems and collective behavior. Simulation & Gaming, 44, 683–705. doi:10.1177/1046878113501462

Ramani, G. B., & Siegler, R. S. (2008). Promoting broad and stable improvements in low-income children’s numerical knowledge through playing number board games. Child Development, 79, 375–394. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8624.2007.01131.x

Ramani, G. B., & Siegler, R. S. (2011). Reducing the gap in numerical knowledge between low- and middle-income preschoolers. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 32, 146–159. doi:10.1016/j.appdev.2011.02.005

Ramani, G. B., Siegler, R. S., & Hitti, A. (2012). Taking it to the classroom: Number board games as a small group learning activity. Journal of Educational Psychology, 104, 661–672. doi:10.1037/a0028995

Siegler, R. S., & Ramani, G. B. (2008). Playing linear numerical board games promotes low-income children’s numerical development. Developmental Science, 11, 655–661. doi:10.1111/j.1467-7687.2008.00714.x

Siegler, R. S., & Ramani, G. B. (2009). Playing linear number board games—but not circular ones—improves low-income preschoolers’ numerical understanding. Journal of Educational Psychology, 101, 545–560. doi:10.1037/a0014239

Whyte, J. C., & Bull, R. (2008). Number games, magnitude representation, and basic number skills in preschoolers. Developmental Psychology, 44, 588–596. doi:10.1037/0012-1649.44.2.588
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Alexander
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Mymil. Although I have more than enough with what you added I encourage everybody to add more references so this thread serve as a list of references on benefits of boardgames for anybody who need them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
vica8081 wrote:
Thanks a lot Mymil. Although I have more than enough with what you added I encourage everybody to add more references so this thread serve as a list of references on benefits of boardgames for anybody who need them.

I agree, I'd love to see any additional references that others have found!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YH Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
Swords & Stationery
badge
Swords & Stationery
mbmbmb
Heya, I run an educational therapy service called Swords & Stationery. On my blog, I frequently discuss the benefits of gaming (mostly RPGs, but I cover board games from time to time), and how one can use them in the classroom. Not really scientific or academic stuff, but I hope it's relevant to what you're looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.