Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly speaking, id like an opinion.
I own Descent, sword and Sorcery, Dizzit, Arcadia and shadows of brimstone. Gloomheaven is on the way.

Does this game offer anything that would compell me to add it to my collection other than some disgusting addition would dictate?
Mechanics aside is this game offering anything the others I just mentioned do not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
If you stick to the retail release, DS has the best tactical combat of the crawlers I've played.

I haven't played Descent, but I have played Imperial Assault, so same thing.
I haven't played Gloomhaven.

But I have played the others in your list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
If you stick to the retail release

Is there something about the KS release that is not good or do you mean the extra KS content isn't good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
ampoliros wrote:
If you stick to the retail release

Is there something about the KS release that is not good or do you mean the extra KS content isn't good?

The problem is with the Adventurer's Companion expansion.

So no, there's nothing wrong with the KS version. Just don't bother with the AC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I've had DS since the Kickstarter and still haven't gotten it to the table yet (too many other great games to play) but I hope to soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
With everything you already own the question is how much time do you have to play this all.
The miniatures in DS are IMHO better that in descent. Only problem is that the plastic is kinda shiny and so looks cheaper than it is. Painted they are very good.
Gameplay wise let's compare to Descent:
In Descent positioning almost does not matter. You can slip by your enemies diagonally move through your comrades and don't have to care about exposing your back. That all does matter in DS and that's why I love it!!!
The combat in descent allows for soem decisions. What do I do with my surges. Do I use them on weapons or skills or to recover Stamina.
In DS you hit or you don't. For me thats a plus for Descent.
In both games there's not much exciting looting during a game session. You get new equipment before the next quest but in descent you can choose it.
In DS theres a sense of discovery since the map is not completely visible to the players.
Overall I prefer DS. It's much more DungeonCrawlery to me.
Can't compare to S&S or Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
With everything you already own the question is how much time do you have to play this all.
The miniatures in DS are IMHO better that in descent. Only problem is that the plastic is kinda shiny and so looks cheaper than it is. Painted they are very good.
Gameplay wise let's compare to Descent:
In Descent positioning almost does not matter. You can slip by your enemies diagonally move through your comrades and don't have to care about exposing your back. That all does matter in DS and that's why I love it!!!
The combat in descent allows for soem decisions. What do I do with my surges. Do I use them on weapons or skills or to recover Stamina.
In DS you hit or you don't. For me thats a plus for Descent.
In both games there's not much exciting looting during a game session. You get new equipment before the next quest but in descent you can choose it.
In DS theres a sense of discovery since the map is not completely visible to the players.
Overall I prefer DS. It's much more DungeonCrawlery to me.
Can't compare to S&S or Gloomhaven.

As noted DS is very much about movement control and model placement. Heroes do not have a lot of big choices. Move than Action is the basic structure for each hero. The choices come down to the orders the Heroes act in (as the bad guy can use interrupts to move a model or two during the hero turn) and how the models positon themselves.

Each model has a front arc ( 5 Square = 3 squares in front plus the one on each side) and a rear arc. Enemies have to stop moving when they enter a front arc. If you start in a front arc you can move out to a square not in a front arc but the enemy gets a free attack at you. Attacking people from their rear arcs reduces their defenses as does ganging up on enemies.

So every move is about how am I getting this model into the best position to control movement (making space for friends and block paths for enemies), optimize his attacks (getting to enemies rear arcs or ganging up with friends), and minimize his vulnerability to attacks (where do I point my back and who is supporting me in defense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word yet on a second edition DS now that the rules committee has been at work for a while?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For crawlers, I own Imperial Assault, Gloomhaven, Dungeon Saga and Level 7 Omega Protocol.

Since Gloomhaven, none of these other games, sans maybe Level 7, have had and chance to get back to the table. Gloomhaven is just that good.

That Mantic really dropped the ball on DS is one further nail in it's coffin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
Any word yet on a second edition DS now that the rules committee has been at work for a while?

Next major fantasy release is the skirmish Vanguard game. I have not seen anything but think maybe that with the terrain pieces from the previous kitstarter and some new fantasy plastics from Vanguard some new mission packs could be built up without tooling costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like an Adventurer's Companion that at least vaguely resembles what we were promised, more interaction with the furniture pieces (hidden items, traps, tactical options), choices about the loot that carries from mission to mission, and a little more depth in general. Heroquest fleshed out and deepened with an advanced RPG book, IE what we were promised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.