Simon Therrien
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Your turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw that the game is 1-4 players and I can't seem to find anything about the solo mode. Anybody has any information about it?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll find it toward the back of the rulebook, which is posted in the files section here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite good. It has a clear win/loss condition, which is always a plus. This is clearly a well-designed and developed solo mode, and doesn't show the hallmarks of an "add on" or afterthought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm blushing over here, Mike! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ad7m wrote:
I'm blushing over here, Mike! Thanks!

You're very welcome! Thanks for thinking of solo gamers when you designed the game, and for putting the obvious thought and care into it that you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Minor Weaver
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
savoring solo mode
Yup, I’ll second that enthusiastically. The solo mode is superb and pretty inventively brilliant. It actually kind of invents a new genre or sub-genre: discard-pile management(?) It’s a really interesting challenge, trying to exert whatever control you can over the composition of that pile; trying to shape and manipulate its contents when possible; and trying to insulate yourself against what you can’t control. There’s a strategic art to engineering a sucky public library.

It also just ratchets up the consequentiality of *literally every single decision* you make from start to finish. I adore multiplayer Ex Libris and the tabletop camaraderie it engenders; but in some ways the solo variant is the tightest mode requiring the greatest strategic rigor. You really have to stop and think about the consequences every single time you discard in order to draw. There are some decidedly tough decisions to make about eliminating locations, or not eliminating locations in the case of sites that deal out cards you might not be able to prevent the discard from hoovering during the clean-up phase. And the little tweak that your leftover hand at the end goes into the discard, which is to say is donated directly to the public library, demands a fun amount of hand management discipline (and also takes the advantage of opportunistically placing cards you plan on flipping prior to inspection to an interesting new level).

Yeah, the solo is neat. Cozy and tense at the same time. I so appreciate it. Official Librarian License Application S-42A forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'all are the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.