17 Posts

Vietnam 1965-1975» Forums » General

Subject: Vassal vs. Cyberboard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Urbanik

Illinois
msg tools
So which one do people recommend? Would one fit better if playing solo vs. another human opponent? It's been years since I played this game and my oldest son is also interested in trying it. So most likely there will be both a solo game (to test strategy) and a face to face game.

Also, is LimeyYankGames to best place to get a Cyberboard gamebox for Vietnam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Mauldin
United States
Texarkana
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like Cyberboard when playing solo, because you can leave yourself notes easier between playings. I prefer VASSAL for playing against an opponent because you can do it live. Both are good.

Not sure about the gamebox. LimeyYanks is pretty good and they have a lot of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris99 chris99
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played many a game solitaire on the VASSAL module. The VASSAL module is awesome, with a lot of bookkeeping help, including automatic battle results and pacification. Personally I like the VASSAL interface better anyway for most games, but this module is very well-done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Urbanik

Illinois
msg tools
chris99 wrote:
I've played many a game solitaire on the VASSAL module. The VASSAL module is awesome, with a lot of bookkeeping help, including automatic battle results and pacification. Personally I like the VASSAL interface better anyway for most games, but this module is very well-done.

@Chris99, I started a game using Vassal but something seems wrong. I have to resign, change player, save and reload the game before the other side can do anything. Is this how it plays?

For more details I started an offline game and picked the FWA side. I did all the normal setup stuff. Now it's the VC turn to place units with their 90 supply. But nothing would allow that till I stumbled on the resign, save quit reload sequence. That would be a real pain in a solo game.

Is this how it works for everyone else? According to the help it implies all I have to do is resign and change sides but those aren't active. I'm using the latest version of the mod (4.2h).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris99 chris99
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, John:

I use the Referee or Solitaire option. That allows me to play both sides. (the only drawback is the values of the VC battalions are not masked, but I'm good at ignoring that as a solitaire player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Urbanik

Illinois
msg tools
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the tip. Is that during game setup? I think in the game you have observer, NLF and FWA options but observer doesn't change things. Plus does referee allow you to move, create and place both sides units without further changes to player?

What about a hotseat face to face choice? Since I definitely don't want the VC units shown referee isn't an option there. And that change, save, quit load sequence for a single reaction move would be a real pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris99 chris99
msg tools
mbmbmb
Referee can do everything, see all windows, move all units. So if you're playing solo, that is the option to pick. If you are using one computer, a "hot-seat" would require constantly changing the player from US to NLF to back again. Or, you could get your laptops together and log onto the server maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of Cyberboard's strengths is that you can generate separate player files, in each of which you only see what you are supposed to see. It can of course generate referee files as well if you want to play both sides from a single game file. (I haven't seen the Vietnam gamebox either; my cyberboard experience is with other games. I have downloaded many others from Limey Yanks though; they are excellent.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Urbanik

Illinois
msg tools
OK after much experimentation using VASSAL I think I got it figured out, at least for solitaire play. When creating a new game create it as the Referee. Do all the initial setup stuff.

When it comes to actual game play resign and switch to the side you want. So while playing as the FWA I actually can't see the VC units, except for the political sections. It is an OK compromise. Then if I switch to NLF I can see the VC details. I don't have to save, quit and reload the game. The switching back and forth allows me to do most things without knowing all the NLF secrets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Urbanik

Illinois
msg tools
I do have a new issue problem with VASSAL. On the General Records track there are two counters for air mobile (trans) and riverine and three for air power. Generally there is a blue colored one for total air/air mobile/riverine and then a green one for points. Air has a third for air available which I assume is for the operation.

Anyway how do you move the counter for total air/trans/riverine. I start out with 21 and buy 30 more. I lose one in strategic bombing. I should have a counter for total air of 50. But I can't move the total air counter. It's stuck at 21. Please help with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris99 chris99
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I noticed that about the Air/Airmobile/Riverine counters. I get by using the other two. Not brave enough to edit the module and see what is broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Urbanik

Illinois
msg tools
Wow my turn to actually help out. Hold down the shift key and then click on it. You can now move the counter. You can even right click on it now.

You comment about changing the mod let me look through it to find how to handle the marker. I think I'm going to see if I can change the VC political sections to hide them also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Urbanik

Illinois
msg tools
No luck on changing the VC units. I can change them and created a new deck for the Indp Rgt's but it keeps showing the old units even after I changed the mod to delete them.

It is something to do with the scenario which is pre-defined. But I can't find the .vsav file for the scenarios. Somehow they are hidden so I can't modify them. I wish I knew where they were at because I could make the module a lot more solitaire and hot seat compatible.

EDIT: I finally found it. The extension is really just a zipped file and the saved game is in there. But here's the problem. Even after running the "update counters" it still shows the old stuff. I even deleted 3 regiments yet all six are in the pool. So clearly something is still wrong.

My next plan is to load the old VASSAL engine and try modifying with that one. I may also try to create a brand new scenario but not sure how to go about it yet. I would love to hide all VC units and not just the battalions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Urbanik

Illinois
msg tools
Gosh I feel so dumb right now. I'm experimenting with the VC units and came up with this way to hide the units on the map and all of that. Only to find it was basically the same way the mod makers did it. They used a toggle in the right click menu to hide the units. I did the same thing only in a "deck" vs. their "stack".

I have to give a big thumbs up to the mod makers and VASSAL. They mod makers did a really good job and VASSAL is pretty flexible once you learn more about it. Now to continue with my experiment game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Goodmongo wrote:
I have to give a big thumbs up to the mod makers and VASSAL. They mod makers did a really good job and VASSAL is pretty flexible once you learn more about it. Now to continue with my experiment game.

Ditto. Vassal has its quirks like any other program, but the Vietnam module is first rate. It works well for solitaire. But where it really shines is in live games on the server. Hope you are able to play one of those someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kulkis
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've owned this game for 20 years and never had an opportunity to play.

Would love to play via VASSAL (and use skype for audio commo)

Anybody up to playing with someone who's a noob at this game?
[Fortunately, I'm a fast learner.....Computer and electrical engineer type]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would, but I already have a couple games going. Great fun.

If no one responds here the Vassal forum also has an opponents wanted section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.