Spirit Island» Forums » General

Subject: Sleeves and Organization rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack F
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Okay, so I need some advice on how to get this beast properly organized. Obviously the inserts were designed... less than ideally. Sleeves are simply not happening with those there; they're designed exactly for the naked cards and nothing else.

Add to those that I have Branch and Claw, the Promo Spirits, AND the 5-6 Player bonus pieces and I'm left scratching my head. My current thoughts are to remove some of the inserts and use baggies instead. Or maybe I can pray that Broken Token makes a good insert for this game, but even if that does happen, it won't be any time soon.

Man, I love GTG/DHM/FN games, but they really need to improve their insert game. It seems like its gotten progressively worse over the years.

Obligatory rant aside, any thoughts? How have others gotten their cards sleeved and everything together in the same box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
imaloony wrote:
Okay, so I need some advice on how to get this beast properly organized. Obviously the inserts were designed... less than ideally. Sleeves are simply not happening with those there; they're designed exactly for the naked cards and nothing else.

Add to those that I have Branch and Claw, the Promo Spirits, AND the 5-6 Player bonus pieces and I'm left scratching my head. My current thoughts are to remove some of the inserts and use baggies instead. Or maybe I can pray that Broken Token makes a good insert for this game, but even if that does happen, it won't be any time soon.

Man, I love GTG/DHM/FN games, but they really need to improve their insert game. It seems like its gotten progressively worse over the years.

Obligatory rant aside, any thoughts? How have others gotten their cards sleeved and everything together in the same box?

I have a box with the cards sleeved + all extant content where everything fits - I kept the 4-well insert and tossed the two others.

(I quite dislike spreading a single game across multiple boxes if I can avoid it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Regnard
msg tools
mbmb
I have only the base game. I use the top inserts for things placed durinv play: towns cities explorers fear blight dahans.
Everything else for game setup is below.
I had to cut the half of the bottom insert with the cards.In this place I placed the bags with sleeved decks, the bags with presence and reminders.
There is some space left, not sure enough for an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wiese
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the expansion or promo content (yet) but I've found a Plano box to be a pretty great solution to hold all the Invader/Dahan/fear/energy bits. I'm usually the type of person who bags stuff but in the case of Spirit Island the Plano box seems to be better because then you don't have to empty a bunch of baggies and can just pull out what you need. Then as the game progresses we usually just put invader pieces to the side as we destroy them and put them back on the board as they explore/build. I'm sorry but I don't have the exact Plano box number (it's one I had unused sitting around) but I know I'll have to get a bigger one in the future anyway when I get Branch & Claw since the new tokens will need more compartments.

As for the cards, I did put those in baggies for some protection and organization. Not a great solution. Still looking for a better one. If someone wants to design custom tuck boxes....??

I agree the included insert is not that great. It has a bunch of shallow wells and tons of unused space...not all that functional. And it has no hope of holding the expansion stuff which I always find perplexing. If a publisher is going to go through the trouble and expense of including an insert, why not let it be able to accommodate future content? It seems even more true for a game like this where it was Kickstarted and a good percentage of people got the expansion with the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schlepphorst
msg tools
I made a foam core storage solution that holds everything very well in one box, with separate trays for setup, board stuff, and spirit stuff. I posted info here.
It’s only my second foam solution, and wasn’t too hard to learn to do.

(I’ll try to fix link on computer later.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack F
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hmmm. I'll take another look and see what's the most viable. Thanks for everyone's advice!

The custom foam insert sounds great, but I'm not a very handy individual and I'm not sure I trust myself enough to make your particular layout myself; looks really cool though, great job!

An upside is that it looks like Spirit Island is listed on Broken Token's current poll (among a lot of others) so hopefully it'll get one of their nice inserts at some point. Maybe by next GenCon? I hope?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imaloony wrote:
An upside is that it looks like Spirit Island is listed on Broken Token's current poll (among a lot of others) so hopefully it'll get one of their nice inserts at some point. Maybe by next GenCon? I hope?
I've been hoping for one myself! At Gen Con I was playing Spirit Island with some of the Broken Token people, who were pretty enthusiastic about the game. This is different from actually making an insert, though: This would be a fairly complicated project for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack F
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
dthurston wrote:
I've been hoping for one myself! At Gen Con I was playing Spirit Island with some of the Broken Token people, who were pretty enthusiastic about the game. This is different from actually making an insert, though: This would be a fairly complicated project for them.

Hey, if they made a good insert for Dead of Winter: Long Night, they can do this one for sure. The box has plenty of dead space for them to work with, at least. Not saying it'll be easy, but I believe in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
All knowledge is worth having
mbmbmbmbmb
I've so far seen two inserts that hold sleeved cards: mine and Anwei's. In general, Anwei's is better laid out and better made, but I'm very proud of my card holder.

Of course, you want to hold 50% more pieces so you can play on the playmat.
That's going to be a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greater than Games has confirmed development on another expansion, with 5-6p. That's going to pose a challenge, because at a minimum that will have 50% more of all the pieces, 2 more Island boards, and a bunch more cards. I'm skeptical it would all fit in the original box at that point, with or without any sort of insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack F
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Recently they've been doing "Big Organizer Boxes" like for Sentinels of the Multiverse and Bottom of the 9th, so hopefully with a future expansion they'll include a large box with it with a better series of inserts... I mean, who knows?

I'm also currently trying to figure out what to do with Fate of the Elder Gods. That insert isn't nearly as bad as this one, but it's still one where I have to fiddle around with stuff to get the lid to fit properly, and that's without sleeving anything. I desperately want to sleeve that game, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. It's just another example of GTG putting out games with poorly organized inserts/box interiors. Great games, great quality of components, but they need a LOT of work on their box organization and layouts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use sleeves. I do have the expansion. I tossed all the inserts and put everything in baggies or rubber bands.

With that 5-6p expansion, it won't all fit. First world problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schlepphorst
msg tools
Arcanist Lupus wrote:
I've so far seen two inserts that hold sleeved cards: mine and Anwei's. In general, Anwei's is better laid out and better made, but I'm very proud of my card holder.

I like it too, but since I mostly play solo, I like not having to lay cards out - just leave them in the insert. Although I guess you could do that too.

My setup could easily handle extra fear, blight, and presence. 2 more boards could fit with a less-closed box. Extra powers/spirits will need a new solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lowe
United States
Hayward
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Of course, you want to hold 50% more pieces so you can play on the playmat.
That's going to be a challenge.

This is the insert I made. It was probably the most difficult insert I've made because the island boards are so irregular shaped and I didn't want them moving around in the box. But also because there's such little space and the island board used up so much space the way I made the insert. I was also really sloppy with some of the trays and the trays aren't as functional because they're overfilled. Oh well. I might remake one of the trays ... but probably not... too lazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schlepphorst
msg tools
Spirit boards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lowe
United States
Hayward
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
anwei wrote:
Spirit boards?

They're in the last picture at the very bottom. (barely see the corner of them). I just put all the boards in one stack in the middle of the entire thing.

If you really want to see I can take another photo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schlepphorst
msg tools
Gotcha, I see them now. I was thinking they were stored outside.

I like the notches for the island boards. If a 2nd expansion makes a bigger box available, I'll try to figure that out..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lowe
United States
Hayward
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like your design better. I don't think I'd do mine the same way if I had to do it over again. My trays ended up too cramped and the cards are just in 3 piles without much organization :p. But oh well. It was the toughest insert I've made so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randplaty wrote:
In this image, did one of the presence discs get loose and is now chilling next to the stack of cards that has the "Healthy/Blighted Island cards" on top?
Or is that little bit of purple something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.