Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a few weeks we will be having a 24 hour long games day, and I will be playing/prepping all sorts of new games and old favorites. It's a fundraiser board game marathon thing, so I have myself and three friends going, but there will be lots of other folks/teams there. We will mostly be playing four player games within our little team, but will also play some larger games with other people. I kinda sorta know a lot of the other players/teams and there's an online forum for game scheduling between the teams (some teams keep to themselves, while others play a lot amongst the other attendees).

Anyways, one of the games that we will be playing for the first time will be Scythe.

So I'm wondering, would it be better for me to completely learn it, do my best to teach it, and play with my 3 team members (so 4 of us total),

OR

Would it be better to play with the 4 of us 'newbs' and have someone who can teach and play with us who knows the game? (IE: advertise on the online forum that I'm looking for a fifth player who could teach and play with us) ?

Generally, I purchase/learn/teach the games in my group but it looks like there will be a lot to learn/teach all in one day so it would be helpful to get someone else for a complex 'ish' game like Scythe. My only concern is that it seems like 4 players is the sweet spot and adding more people just seems to add more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not hard to teach. 4 players is ok. Use the player aids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'd say no matter how good a game's instructions are, having somebody who already knows how to play a game teach it is always "better".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
I'd say no matter how good a game's instructions are, having somebody who already knows how to play a game teach it is always "better".

I 2nd this. The Scythe manual is fantastic and the player aids are useful, but it took me a lot longer to teach the game to myself via the manual then it took me to explain it to others. Most recently I was able to explain the game to 3 new players in about 20 min. and the there was no game play slowdowns to check the manual because I could quickly answer questions. So I'd lean towards having an expert on hand to get you up and running quickly since you have so much more going on already.

Or there's always watch it played!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffMLIL5qGQg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play with all 4 noob and the teacher, but give the teacher a super bad faction/player board setup like Polonia/Industrial. Oh and don't use any expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope your teacher is not one of those players that feels a deep desire to win every game they play. Hopefully they are just playing primarily to teach and have fun. I don't mind when the teacher of a game wins, but I feel they should not grind other players into the ground and make them feel bad. that is for the second game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave: It sounds like either way, one person (you or someone else) will know the game before starting the first session, which I think is really important. If you can find someone who already knows Scythe, it still wouldn't hurt for you to watch a rules video or read page 31 of the rules (a summary), as there's no guarantee they'll teach it correctly.

Here's my short video about how to teach Scythe in such a way that people can start taking turns within about 5 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I36PYZBD4oQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has a very good manual as well, and the graphic design is STELLAR which really helps remembering the rules.

My first play was a 5 player game with us breaking the shrinkwrap and reading the rules for the first time. From breaking shrink to ending the game was a little over 2 hours which was really impressive to me.

We did learn later on that we did movement incorrectly, we allowed 1 unit to move 2x instead of the 2 units move 1 which we were supposed to do. Didn't break the game, and we all had a great time.

Hope you guys have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alluvian wrote:
Hope your teacher is not one of those players that feels a deep desire to win every game they play. Hopefully they are just playing primarily to teach and have fun. I don't mind when the teacher of a game wins, but I feel they should not grind other players into the ground and make them feel bad. that is for the second game

One of the podcasts I listen to the hosts joke about teaching games. They always maintain that if they are teaching the game and lose then they did a good job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Dave: It sounds like either way, one person (you or someone else) will know the game before starting the first session, which I think is really important. If you can find someone who already knows Scythe, it still wouldn't hurt for you to watch a rules video or read page 31 of the rules (a summary), as there's no guarantee they'll teach it correctly.

Here's my short video about how to teach Scythe in such a way that people can start taking turns within about 5 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I36PYZBD4oQ

...and here I was about to post this...ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.