Absolute Victory: World Conflict 1939-1945» Forums » General

Subject: Please sell me on this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Ever since this game was published I've been wanting it so badly. But given its scale, I am quite sure it will not be played frequently. Moreover, I've heard it is not very PBEM-friendly due to multiple impulses each turn consists of.

But I love the premise, the events and even the garish map by which the Ben and Wes both attempt to say that it is not the looks that matters but the game's inner beauty.

FLGS is ordering game from Compass. My first choice is Guam: Return to Glory but can't stop thinking that ordering just one game is so... inefficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea that is very innovative in this game is that list of variants that allow the game to have its own unique history when you play. So each time you play will be different because of the different variants selected. Just because something happened in actual history is no guarantee that it will happen in the game you play, just that it might happen. And there are lots of things that might have happened that will happen in your game. In other words, the game itself generates a lot of the chaos you will be trying to tame when playing, besides your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game. PBEM would be ridiculous with the pulse system though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll show the game some love. And some nits.

This game is for you if:

o You like watching history unfold,

o You have an interest in not only the main actions of WW2, but the "periphery" as well, places like East Africa or Central Asia or even Antarctica.

o You are interested in serious counterfactual gaming, where some of the early basic assumptions as well as many others over the course of the game go in a different direction. This seems to be a popular concept, as many of the big global WW2 games have prewar systems or companion games that give you a different setup situation. You won't get a different setup here, but you also don't necessarily start with good weather for your invasion of Poland, either.

o You are interested in a different approach to strategic wargaming.

o You like lots of small and easily digestible subsystems in a game. Lots of them.

o You deal well with a certain amount of chaos, especially in the diplomatic realm. Romania is not always going to be your ally, Germany.

o You have a lot of table space or can operate VASSAL.

o You like surprises. Both kinds.

o You enjoy seeing how novel game systems turn out. This game has a lot of differences in how things operate from most wargames, and that's a good thing for the hobby under any circumstance. Innovation is why there is a hobby in the first place.

o You hate waiting an hour for the other player to take their turn.

This game is not for you if:

o You prefer "god's eye" control over a game. The political effects can be very swingy.

o You don't like chrome. There is a lot of chrome, an entire rulebook devoted to it, in fact. You need to understand about 10% of it going in for single map games, more like 20% if the full boat.

o You can't live with a few components that feel just a little less than fully done. Like the map, which feels a bit like all the cool colors in the crayon box were missing. And you can read very very small hex numbers, which you need to do a lot of.

o you want a game that plays quickly. The "busy" turns (when weather isn't limiting your operations) can take quite a while to get through. The Pulse system is great, but now you have to prioritize actions within the turn, not just from turn to turn. That can lead to a fair amount of AP.

o You want a small footprint. The tracking cards take up more than an entire mapsheet, more if you are playing one map and need the tracking boxes on the other maps. If there is a fair criticism of this game, it is that the play cards should have been organized in a more efficient manner. Fortunately, it isn't that hard to build your own if space is an issue.

o You hate rolling more than two or three dice in combat. Or more than ten. Or twenty. On occasion.

I am currently "digging in" on three different gaming systems: this, Grand Taxtical (Devil's Cauldron etc), and ASL. They all scratch different itches for me, AV for the range of sweeping historical events and also largely the elegance of the subsystems, which are very approachable in general and make the game relatively easy to learn.

I hope that's helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
I passed on this one. I feel ashamed by doing so but given the price and space requirements and the complexity and less than fair PBEM-friendliness, I would need to play it solo. And this is not something I enjoy most, unfortunately, so even though the system sounds like lots of fun and it is labour of love, I let it go. This time.

Thanks everybody who chimed in--you gave me a lot food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
I passed on this one. I feel ashamed by doing so but given the price and space requirements and the complexity and less than fair PBEM-friendliness, I would need to play it solo. And this is not something I enjoy most, unfortunately, so even though the system sounds like lots of fun and it is labour of love, I let it go. This time.

Thanks everybody who chimed in--you gave me a lot food for thought.

There is absolutely no shame involved. This is a very expensive game, even as wargames go, and it should be something you know you will enjoy. Best of luck with the game you end up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SchizoCat1 SchizoCat1
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I own it, haven't played it because I'm too old and it's too big. Playing Illusions of Glory instead.

But I like Compass and I really like the Nine Years War and Ypres games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.