Terrrry
msg tools
mb
i am thinking to create a game for Asian hot pot.
my friend said it is bad idea as it will kill off quite a lot potential game players cos they may not like cooking meat or wont eat pork, beef, for different reason. is it really true tha
1. Cooking food is not a good idea ?
2. Asian hot pot is a theme that wont attract any America or Europe type of player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go Party! is currently ranked #140 on this site
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wok Star
Chopstick Dexterity MegaChallenge 3000
Sushi Go! and Sushi Go Party!
Sushi Dice

Plus the whole Food / Cooking board game family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I eat a whole-foods plant-based diet (basically vegan but I don't call it that - I eat honey and have a down jacket) and think fighting over food in a boiling hot pot is a fun theme. Just make the meat worth negative points and the tofu, greens, and mushrooms worth lots of points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game is good, I expect the theme will only put off the VERY sensitive. I am against killing people, or taking land, or smashing my car into things and people. However, I do this all the time in games. They are games.

I am a flexitarian (I eat chicken and fish, sometimes), but I do not care if a game has beef or pork. My food choices are purely health related, though. Maybe there are vegetarians that would not touch a game with meat, just like there may be some who do not like games with witchraft themes.

I am only a voice of one, but I suspect that there would not be a large group that would flat out reject a game with meat. Doing a search for games with "pizza" in the title brings up almost 100 games. I do not know how popular those games are, but I bet they have meat. There are definitely other games with meat as well.

I hope you get a good answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Koneko: A PvP worker placement game set in a very Feline Feudal Japan........
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all. If you're really concerned about this, put variations in tyd back of the rulebook to make the game more vegan friendly or more lactose intolerant friendly or sumsuch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Various vegetarians and vegans have different reasons for their choices. I was raised vegetarian. I wouldn't have an issue with a game that includes food that a zillion people eat, although I might not get drawn in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
As an ethical vegetarian, I still enjoy games like A la carte, Sushi Go!, etc. and the vegans/vegetarians I've played them with enjoy them too.

I'm ideologically opposed to other things too, but will still play games based on them, because I can separate reality from fiction.

I mean, I'm more opposed to the leather cup in Stone Age, than I am in the ability to simulate hunting in it. If that makes sense. So, as long as you don't include animal flesh in your game, I'll still be willing to try it

Edit: I did really appreciate that the Kickstarter for Top This! A Pizza Flicking Game included the veggie toppings stretch goal. That was nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't eat beans because they give me gas, but I still play Bohnanza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wife is a life-long vegetarian, and what does she do every game of Agricola? Grab all the sheep and eat them. I'm always the one living on bread.

I don't think a hot pot game should have dairy though. That's weird. Aren't like 95% of East Asians lactose-intolerant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
My wife is a life-long vegetarian, and what does she do every game of Agricola? Grab all the sheep and eat them. I'm always the one living on bread.

I don't think a hot pot game should have dairy though. That's weird. Aren't like 95% of East Asians lactose-intolerant?

Not dairy, but soy milk hotpot is quite popular in Japan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
A large amount of the given population is against war.

That said there are a lot of war games made and played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A slightly dissenting voice:

I'm a vegetarian, and I can't imagine ever avoiding a game that included meat out of principle. Use whatever theme you want.

BUT I think part of the reason I don't enjoy New York Slice as much as its predecessor (Piece o' Cake) is that all the pizza has pepperoni on it, and it Just Looks Gross to me. I've spent a lifetime learning that those little meat circles mean "close this box, maybe the next one has something you can eat". I really just find myself not wanting to collect slices in the game!

So I might say, if actual pictures of food are a big part of the visual impression your game makes on players (check out photos of New York Slice to see what I mean), *then* you might want to take care to make the foods appealing to a wide variety of players.

But drawing a card that says "Beef" and has a little beef icon on it is not a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:

I'm a vegetarian, and I can't imagine ever avoiding a game that included meat out of principle. Use whatever theme you want.

BUT I think part of the reason I don't enjoy New York Slice as much as its predecessor (Piece o' Cake) is that all the pizza has pepperoni on it, and it Just Looks Gross to me. I've spent a lifetime learning that those little meat circles mean "close this box, maybe the next one has something you can eat". I really just find myself not wanting to collect slices in the game!

So I might say, if actual pictures of food are a big part of the visual impression your game makes on players (check out photos of New York Slice to see what I mean), *then* you might want to take care to make the foods appealing to a wide variety of players.

But drawing a card that says "Beef" and has a little beef icon on it is not a problem.

Yeah, that's a good call. Like if your war game showed graphic depictions of violence, that could obviously be a turnoff to people who might otherwise not mind playing a war-themed game. Not to equate the horrors of war with the horrors of pepperoni, but generally speaking images can illicit a much more emotional and visceral reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terrrry
msg tools
mb
thx.. i didnt notice that before there is a food catagory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a vegetarian and I couldn't care less. It's just a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caring would be like when PETA asked Games Workshop to stop sculpting space marine miniatures with "fur"....crazy! Its one thing not to support the wearing of fur/eating of meat, its another to be against the portrayal of it in movies/art/gaming.

I think you'll be fine with that theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
terrychu wrote:
i am thinking to create a game for Asian hot pot.
my friend said it is bad idea as it will kill off quite a lot potential game players cos they may not like cooking meat or wont eat pork, beef, for different reason. is it really true tha
1. Cooking food is not a good idea ?
2. Asian hot pot is a theme that wont attract any America or Europe type of player?

It's probably a bad idea to make a board game. A lot of potential customers don't like board games very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terrrry
msg tools
mb
Ryan Keane wrote:
I'm vegan and think fighting over food in a boiling hot pot is a fun theme. Just make the meat worth negative points and the tofu, greens, and mushrooms worth lots of points.

hahaha.. yea. . I love the theme and I am so reluctant to change it.
Your suggestion is great and I would make it as consideration..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terrrry
msg tools
mb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
If the game is good, I expect the theme will only put off the VERY sensitive. I am against killing people, or taking land, or smashing my car into things and people. However, I do this all the time in games. They are games.

I am a flexitarian (I eat chicken and fish, sometimes), but I do not care if a game has beef or pork. My food choices are purely health related, though. Maybe there are vegetarians that would not touch a game with meat, just like there may be some who do not like games with witchraft themes.

I am only a voice of one, but I suspect that there would not be a large group that would flat out reject a game with meat. Doing a search for games with "pizza" in the title brings up almost 100 games. I do not know how popular those games are, but I bet they have meat. There are definitely other games with meat as well.

I hope you get a good answer.

Thanks Ryan.. What you said makes a lot sense. I do believe at the end it is matter of the game play / design over the theme.
That's why I prefer spending more time on the game test to get more feedback before I killed this idea and change theme.

Maybe it is just a worry but as a first timer game designer. People would recommend to take an easier path to have full set of audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terrrry
msg tools
mb
soiledshortz wrote:
As an ethical vegetarian, I still enjoy games like A la carte, Sushi Go!, etc. and the vegans/vegetarians I've played them with enjoy them too.

I'm ideologically opposed to other things too, but will still play games based on them, because I can separate reality from fiction.

I mean, I'm more opposed to the leather cup in Stone Age, than I am in the ability to simulate hunting in it. If that makes sense. So, as long as you don't include animal flesh in your game, I'll still be willing to try it

Edit: I did really appreciate that the Kickstarter for Top This! A Pizza Flicking Game included the veggie toppings stretch goal. That was nice.

I will keep in mind to have a stretch goal for veggie only version.. that would make everyone happy. Game is all about fun..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terrrry
msg tools
mb
grasa_total wrote:

I agree. It is more matter how to present in a way that makes people feel comfortable.

The art work I preferred would be more like Sushi go than the real food visual impression like NewYork Pizza. I hope it could avoid people to link it to violence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
There are games about murder, crime, plagues, demons, etc. Games are fantasy not reality. I'd have a pretty good laugh if a vegan complained about cooking meat in a game, but then played any game involving violence (which they probably do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
asgelb wrote:
Caring would be like when PETA asked Games Workshop to stop sculpting space marine miniatures with "fur"....crazy! Its one thing not to support the wearing of fur/eating of meat, its another to be against the portrayal of it in movies/art/gaming.

I think you'll be fine with that theme.

I don't think anyone is looking at a GW mini and saying "I want to dress like that Space Marine." so I don't think PETA had a leg to stand on. Because the portrayal is in the context of fantasy/sci-fi.

But many are against the portrayal of fur-wearing in movies and art that are intended to be contemporary and can inspire viewers to want to emulate that. Cultural norms shift - portrayal of smoking as something that is attractive and should be emulated is frowned upon now, and illegal in some forms. I can dream that someday it will be frowned upon to show a commercial of meat as appetizing. I believe it already is illegal in the US to advertise any health benefits of eating meat and eggs (edible and omega-3's is about all they can say for eggs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb

Warning: Game may also contain Sasquatch dong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.