Life & legends looks very interesting but when we tried to play a number of rules questions came up for which there seemed to be no answers in the rule book.
1. Can you discard a relic and play another one?
2. Can you discard a trait card and replace it with another one?
3. If you use a 3 word phrase to complete an adventure, do those cards get discarded?
4. What exactly is a legend for scoring the standard mode game?
5. To complete an adventure using die rolls, do you have to get the exact numbers shown? Do you have to get them in the order shown?
6. When you have rerolls, can you use them for each die roll attempt or are they one one use and done for this turn.
7. if one player has a phrase (eg I Seek Power), they takes the background card and discard their phrase cards. Then someone else completes the same phrase. Does the second player have access to the background card for that phrase also?
Strategy question: we had 4 face up adventures quickly placed in the world. The game ground to a halt as no one could complete any of them and were reduced to drawing and discarding. A player finally completed an adventure, played another one from his hand face up and the game ground to a halt again.Is this correct?
I appreciate any help you can provide.
Hi, thanks for the questions!
Sorry you're having difficulty finding the answers in the rulebook. I'll be happy to help out.
Some of these questions and others are answered on the faq section of our website:
Also we have some playthrough and tutorial videos available here on bgg and linked on our website
But to answer your questions:
3. No. You don't discard cards with Life Words when you use them to complete adventures or create backgrounds. They stay in play and can be used repeatedly.
4. The Legend is the white number in the top right corner of Adventure and Relic Cards (and some other cards, like Famed). You add the total number of Legends on the cards you possess, and that is your "score". You count the Legends on Relics you have in play, and the Legends on Adventures you've completed and placed in your legend area. Completed Wanders you possess are worth 1 Legend each (you can have 4 max). Your score can go up and down over the course of the game depending on what happens. Whoever has the most Legends total when the Legend deck is empty wins. Some other game modes have different win conditions.
5. You have to roll the same number or higher. In any order. You don't have to state what number you're trying to hit first, either.
6. It depends on what the card says, but each effect only works on one die. For example: some effects allow you to roll a die multiple times, but you must discard a card each time. Others say the ability can only be used once per turn.
7. You don't have to discard the cards with the Life Words to activate a background (see #3). The second player can't have that same background while another player does.
Players are allowed to do this as a part of their strategy.
However, regardless of what's happening in the World, players will always have at least 2 Phase Two options available each turn when the World is full, to keep things from getting stuck:
1. Wandering--players can Wander on the top card of the Legend Deck if there are no cards facedown in the World. This allows you to continue gaining Legends and building up Traits to complete Adventures in these situations. (Page 7)
2. Drawing a Legend card as you mentioned.
There are usually a few other possibilities when the World is full, such as:
Removing Perpetual Adventures. Perpetual Adventures can be removed from the World by any player by discarding a card. This can free up space in the World. (Page 11).
Fate Challenges. Most Fate Challenges are difficult, but not all Fate Challenges have penalties for failure (Explore Ruins, Unexplained Phenomena, etc). So attempting those can be an idea.
Thanks for the interest. Let me know if you have any other questions or need any further clarifications! Happy to help
Note: I've edited this several times for clarity
- Last edited Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:33 am (Total Number of Edits: 10)
- Posted Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:58 am
Thanks, Adam - that helps!