Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given this rather bizarre reasoning

Quote:
“Employers under Title VII are permitted to consider employees’ out-of-work sexual conduct,” argued Hashim Mooppan, the Department of Justice attorney. “There is a commonsense, intuitive difference between sex and sexual orientation.”

One guesses then celibate gay citizens are safe

And what makes this really even more strange it this

Quote:
Tuesday’s oral arguments were an even rarer occasion because another government agency, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, was in court to argue against the DOJ, saying gay employees are protected by Title VII. The Justice Department inserted itself into the case in July by filing a brief supporting the employer.

The judges hammered Mooppan, the DOJ lawyer, with questions about why the department decided to weigh in, saying it was “a bit awkward” to have the federal government split on a key legal issue. One judge explicitly asked if the DOJ employment discrimination division had been consulted.

“It’s not appropriate for me to comment,” Mooppan answered.

This does rather put a stark contrast between the former and present administrations, since as Newsweek pointed out not only was the EEOC fighting for the fired party but

Quote:
The arguments came as the full 13-judge Second Circuit reviews an earlier ruling by a three-judge panel in favor of Zarda's former employer. They also came after the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in April that people can't be fired because they engage in gay sex.

But the law has been interpreted to include protections for sexual orientation for decades, after multiple lower level district courts concluded beginning in 2002 that employees could not be fired simply for being gay. The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed in April that Title VII does in fact cover sexual orientation, noting that any other interpretation of the law would be “confusing and contradictory.”

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-doj-fired-being-gay-lgbt-issue...

But hey, gotta keep that Christian Nationalist base of The Donald's happy now right. Couple this with the victory of Moore in Alabama, and the raft of right wingers Bannon has lined up for primary challenges and we can see where the GOP and conservatism are heading right now, and it aint pretty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can gay owners fire straight people?

Whatever the case, the ruling seems a bit harsh to make gay people lose their jobs. Couldn't we just beat the gay out of them or send them to re-education camps or something?

Redeem not replace!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Can gay owners fire straight people?

Oh no. That would be persecution then going against the laws of their god. Heaven forbid one brings up sexual orientation in that case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't make me happy, but I guess I'm not Trump's base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Note to everyone who argues that there's no difference between Republicans and Democrats - Ef you. Elections matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
It doesn't make me happy, but I guess I'm not Trump's base.

Exactly. I mean, I am sure that if the GOP had the House, Senate and White House with someone other than Trump at the helm, they would probably still float all sorts of crazy trial balloons, but the hope would be that the resident of the WH wouldn't be so swayed by "Gosh, I hope they like me" to let this kind of unconstitutional go on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.