Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

878: Vikings – Invasions of England» Forums » General

Subject: Map version with cubes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
Is there a version of the map available with cubes (as in the Kickstarter beta rules) rather than figures indicating reinforcements and initial placement?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind me asking, why would you want that?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Aldaron wrote:
Is there a version of the map available with cubes (as in the Kickstarter beta rules) rather than figures indicating reinforcements and initial placement?


No, I don't believe so. Although, they did sell a bag of cubes, with the correct number for each faction, as an add-on during the kickstarter campaign.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
Reimius wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, why would you want that?

The little men — illustrations of plastic men, no less — look silly.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
They might look like illustrations of plastic men, but they are in fact troop icons.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christopherwood wrote:
They might look like illustrations of plastic men, but they are in fact troop icons.
And so would the cubes be, whats your point?

Aldaron: I don't think what you are asking for exists and doubt it ever will (officially anyways)
AG seem to have made the jump to use minis in their games now and only sold the cubes during the ks after some of us asked them to. I fully expect that no future games in the series will feature cubes (other than to be replaced as early, basically guaranteed, stretch goals) and can only hope that they will continue to offer appropriately coloured cubes as add one for those like you and me who prefer them.
1 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
I fully expect that no future games in the series will feature cubes.

I hope that's not true! That would put me off their games for good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
I fully expect that no future games in the series will feature cubes.

I hope that's not true! That would put me off their games for good.
You and me both.
But they already started talking about an 1775 expansion with minis so I fear they'll just go that route for all future games from the beginning.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
christopherwood wrote:
They might look like illustrations of plastic men, but they are in fact troop icons.
And so would the cubes be

A cube icon, indeed a cube itself, is so generic as not to represent anything other than a cube, except as specified in the gamerules & description. (Personally I haven't played with the figs yet, and ordered the cubes as I suspect I'll prefer them; but for iconography a troop icon is 100% better than a cube icon.)

I was hoping to give the OP a way to see the map as beautiful and positive and desirable, rather than as the flaw that he sees. Sometimes a little attitude adjustment goes a long way, even all the way.

Cover the troop icons with cube stickers, if it makes the map more acceptable. It's a slippery slope even to say this, but those who don't like the troop icons could make their own maps. Lots of BGGers make their own maps. I say this not to blow you off, but to encourage you not to give up on a game that I suspect you find a lot of value in, and have spent money on, and must have anticipated as much as the rest of us.

Quote:
That would put me off their games for good.

Remember, cubes are dirt cheap. But if AG is not producing games to your taste anymore, well, it's fortunate for all of us that there's far more games out there than we can ever hope to play ...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
christopherwood wrote:
but for iconography a troop icon is 100% better than a cube icon

No.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This whole needing them to include them with the game argument seems so bizarre, you can literally buy them in bulk about anywhere online. For example - https://www.meeplesource.com/products.php?cat=16

I remember finding a place one time that had like 10 different sizes and 8 colors in each size for purchase...

Edit: Changed to meeplesource link, they really have some good options.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
Reimius wrote:
This whole needing them to include them with the game argument seems so bizarre

That's a bit of an hijack. The question here is about the map (which is harder to fix).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you didn't really call out the poster who made that argument... why me first? (because you agree with his point, but not my counterpoint? If so, we shouldn't be arbitrarily calling people out on hijacking a thread just because of disagreement...)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played the game already? I don't understand why is such a big deal. The figures have the same color as the cubes... So play with the original map and put the cubes on them. Thats my plan if the minifigs don't work (I ordered the cubes with my kickstarter)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reimius wrote:
This whole needing them to include them with the game argument seems so bizarre, you can literally buy them in bulk about anywhere online. For example - http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.as...

I remember finding a place one time that had like 10 different sizes and 8 colors in each size for purchase...

Edit: These are probably a better example - https://www.meeplesource.com/products.php?cat=16
Are you really saying you find it bizarre that people don't want to spend $20 CAD + shipping to get the components they want?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
antoi wrote:
I don't understand why is such a big deal.

Then why are you here?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
antoi wrote:
I don't understand why is such a big deal.

Then why are you here?


Well at least we can agree on something (even if what we want is polar opposite). I know I wouldn't have purchased this game with only cubes.
Theme needs to bleed through in a game for me to purchase.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Well, I hope you can find a solution. Sorry mine were not acceptable. Good luck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Keel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but you can certainly just buy cubes from any parts dealer online. I find it odd that someone would stop playing games from a company just because of a minor component change, but I guess it means that much to some people. That being said, the cubes can be a little easier to grab and put out on the board without worrying about them falling over. The minis aren't much bigger than cubes, though, and definitely add more theme to the game, especially since each faction has a different sculpt so it's not just the exact same miniature in a different color.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
The miniatures are literally the same size as the cubes. They are quite tiny.

I'm kind of conflicted on the subject myself actually.

One the one hand the miniatures do look nice, and provide some extra theme.

But on the other hand, the cubes are very easy to use. You don't have to worry about standing them up properly, and they are easy to organize into different groups for planning, movement, etc.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

It sounds like that the OP's desire is to use cubes rather than minis. Many people prefer the elegantly simpler aesthetics of cubes to plastic minis. That's all. I can only assume that's where he's coming from. After all, there is no accounting for taste. We're all different in that regard.

His question is rather or not the map is offered so that the starting locations are marked with cube icons instead of mini icons. I would agree with everyone here that the answer is a simple, "No". Would've required only one reply and the thread would've been done. But why the conversation has sidetracked from that, I'm not sure.


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played a few games now with my gf, cubes would be easier to handle than the minis. But, wow those minis look good on the board. Maybe my imagination just isn't what it used to be, but an army of blocks wouldn't feel as intimidating or thematic to me as saxon and viking miniatures.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
antoi wrote:
I don't understand why is such a big deal.

Then why are you here?


You quoted the right part.... To understand your question.
I'm not here to critize you preference, I said it myself. I ordered the cubes as well, but wouldn't mind playing with them on the map with printed minifigs.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

It sounds like that the OP's desire is to use cubes rather than minis. Many people prefer the elegantly simpler aesthetics of cubes to plastic minis. That's all. I can only assume that's where he's coming from. After all, there is no accounting for taste. We're all different in that regard.

His question is rather or not the map is offered so that the starting locations are marked with cube icons instead of mini icons. I would agree with everyone here that the answer is a simple, "No". Would've required only one reply and the thread would've been done. But why the conversation has sidetracked from that, I'm not sure.


I think I'll have to take at least some credit for that one unfortunately; I was trying to give a reason why I thought that such a map would never exist in an official capacity and raised the whole "will there be cubes or minis in future games" issue...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First World problems are funny to watch play out. Thanks for the chuckles.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.