United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall many years ago, how one gamer discussed that some FLGS could make out much better for themselves if they worked out deals with local eateries. One proposal could be if they pay them kickbacks, then the FLGS will encourage its patrons and guests to buy food from there venues. Not just in the form of leaving ads in their store, but they'll also ban food not from their establishments. Even if gamers do unscrupulous things like buy their games through other means instead of supporting the FLGS, they still need to eat. It's the eateries that definitely benefit from having FLGS around, and it's them that continues to benefit even if the FLGS closes up shop.

This seemed like a good idea, although it could get into gray lines and uncertainties, like determining if ambiguous foods were really purchased at approved places, such as pizza from "Approved Pizza Shop" as opposed to a pizza pie from "Not In With The FLGS Ristorante". (Actually, I'm still not sure how FLGS enforce games being played that they sell, but NOT purchased from them )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue it's horrible practice. Being in restaurants I would never do any "contract" like that.

It's a mutually beneficial relationship for both parties. That is saying the store wants food in the first place, that can be a grey area as well. But in the end the customer is playing/buying games and the food service is selling food. If they want to work out discounts for each other, fine, but the concept of one paying the other sounds awfully shady.

My .02$
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, are there FLGS's that host game nights that *don't* allow you to bring your own games to play? I've *always* brought my own games to such events with little heed as to how i acquired them.

Trying to enforce a "food from X is ok, food from Y is not" policy seems...nightmarish from a customer service perspective. You're just going to tick off and alienate potential customers when you tell them that no they can't eat that sandwich in here even though that guy over there is eating a sandwich.

Certainly having good relations with local eateries (e.g. "hey there's pizza up there, sandwiches over there, and burritos one block that way, and hey here's some coupons for each of those") makes a lot of sense, perhaps in exchange for the local restaurants donating food for a special event or gift certificates as something that could be given away on game nights (a game store I used to go to had a deal with the bar next door where they would get drink tokens to hand out at their "21+ game night" that they hosted after shop hours on Thursday nights).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you keep it positive, then I can see things like this going over well.

By that, I mean people at the FLGS saying "Hey, here's some menus from the places down the street" or "Hey, here's a couple coupons to some nearby places if you want to check them out."

If you instead focus on negative ("You can't bring in food from X or Y!" or "You can't do Z or A"), you get negative reactions. People don't like being told what they cannot do, although they generally seem to be receptive to suggestions of things they can do, if they so choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our local FLGS used to do a thing during Magic tournaments. They ordered from a local place as a big group. You signed up and paid for your food while paying for the tournament and that was the only food allowed in the place.

Now they have expanded and added food to the menu so they no longer do that. I never liked the place they ordered from so i did;t do it, but it was convent for others. I stopped by the amazing burrito place up the street and ate it before going.

I never saw any problems with it though. I am not sure if they had any "deal" with the place either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Along similar lines:

Back in the 1980s I worked at a video rental store. We had a deal with Pizza Hut where customers would get free movie rentals if they bought pizzas and would get a free pizza after they rented a certain number of movies. It worked out really well because Pizza Hut was directly across the street and people would do "pizza and video" nights (mostly on weekends).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a board game cafe near me that sells their own food (things like sandwiches, some fried snacks, cookies, and veggie trays), but also encourages their guests to bring food from the other establishments in the strip mall where it's located. They have a sign saying what restaurants you can bring food from. The other restaurants are on board to the point you can order from there and they'll bring it to you at the board game cafe. They also have a deal worked out with a local pizza place so you can order pizza through the board game cafe and they'll call and have it delivered for you. I find this to be a very nice practice, and for the most part they don't have to enforce it as everyone respects the policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont see it working very well unless the places are close, in which case you don't have to do it because it happens naturally.

The gamestore I used to go to in college directly next to amazing chinese place....omg best thing ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Wait, are there FLGS's that host game nights that *don't* allow you to bring your own games to play? I've *always* brought my own games to such events with little heed as to how i acquired them.
I don't know (and this might be more suitable for another thread), but I'm told that if you try a game at a FLGS, you should buy it from them. Some folks will instead buy it online/elsewhere cheaper, and then bring it into that same FLGS anyways. They introduced you to that game, you went around that service by not supporting them.

If the people at FLGS notice their customers are deliberately doing this, would they call them out on it, or just hold their tongue?

Akado wrote:
If you keep it positive, then I can see things like this going over well.

By that, I mean people at the FLGS saying "Hey, here's some menus from the places down the street" or "Hey, here's a couple coupons to some nearby places if you want to check them out."

If you instead focus on negative ("You can't bring in food from X or Y!" or "You can't do Z or A"), you get negative reactions. People don't like being told what they cannot do, although they generally seem to be receptive to suggestions of things they can do, if they so choose.
I'll ignore common sense things like "don't harass customers, no loitering, etc." as things you can't do.

FLGS still have rules on things you can and can't do, like no CCGs on (regular) board game nights every Thurs. And some will call you out saying if you want to sell Magic cards to other patrons, you can't do it directly. It has to go through the store so they can get a cut of it. (AFAIK, I believe that's why they have such a policy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.