Stephane Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
When i read forums, many good tread are asking this simple question : The game is balance or not.

It s always the same 3 subjects :

1- Rebels are better for this or this reason
2- Empire are better for this and this...
3- This rule is problematic for the balance, was better in the core game...

etc...

Ok, now let s analyse the situation.

First : Rebels VS Empire.

This game is assimetric, so different side involve different view. The only thing that this bid system will not correct, it s the luck factor on card draw and dice trowing. But remember that Rebels are escpecially good at manipulating objective and probe deck. And,the 2 sides can usually stack leader for important missions. The fact is that you can mitigate luck.

Second : The Core game VS HOTE.

It s new Leaders, Missions, Objectives, units... So more options. But...the principal notable important modification is combat. The impact is now they are more strategic, required more planning on the long run, so it s a little drop on the luck factor.

Voilà

Now, need to know the basic rules. Weird how many time i see tread complaining about certains aspect but where ppl make errors about the basic rules.

Btw, if i have one bad word about this game, it s the rules. Really they could have made a new 'Clarification and Errata'. The creator of the game have answer so many good questions on the forum.

But just to remember you need to read :

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-reb...

There's 3 rules book and one Errata. You get the rules in the box but not the errata.

And this tread not bad :

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/217120-offici...

I'm actually making my own Rules Clarifications and Errata, will post them one day

Now the magic that balance all things !!!!!

The bid system. At firtst i took the basic system from a tournament of the tabletop community. I made some modifications to cover everything.

So now if you use this, you will get the most balance game ever for you and your friends. All are bad with the Rebels, bid high on empire

Just to let you know, i never see ppl bid more than 2 with Empire and 3 with the Rebels. With the addon or the core game. The 2 are perfectly balanced, and the greatest influence on the bid are the starting planets loyalty. Have fun

BIDDING

1) Setup starting Systems by drawing from Probe Deck. Right after this, players choose if they start with the core or add-on unit setup. If they want different setup, Saleucami as an Empire system mean they use the core unit setup. If Saleucami start Neutral, it s the add-on unit setup. If you want to add house rules, you have to do it now. The most common are using the old tactic deck or the old objectives deck. The 2 players need too agree before next step, if one player prefer the normal rules, you stick to them. Same for any other house rule you want to try.

2) For tabletop on computers, use hidden zones to blind vote on bids. The 2 players take 1 red dice for Rebels and 1 black dice for Imperials, you delete a dice and put a number on the prefered faction dice; 6 or sword equal bid 0 with the prefered faction (you can use 2 dices for each faction if you want to go over 5 bid). On the board game, players write down preferred faction and a number representing their bid for this faction. Example: "Empire 2". In that case, the number 2 mean that you want the Empire and that the other player can start with 2 more triangle units. (space or ground)

3) Players reveal bids simultaneously. If different factions, each player take control of chosen faction, no one get bid unit(s). If same faction, the higher bidder gets their preferred faction. The lower bidder gets +triangle units in starting setup for the amount of the higher bidder's bid. 3 Triangles can be traded for 1 Circle unit. 5 triangles units can be traded for 1 Square. Ties in bids implied the players try the bid again. If the second bid is still a tie, side are determined by a dice roll. The player who receive bid unit(s), have to choose unit(s) immediatly.

4) Proceed with normal rules after that. (The Rebel player can still draw is objective before placing is units)

ps : forget my english grammar, i m french
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools
Where I come from, unless both sides agree upon taking a side, we roll a die. Takes about a second.

Still apreciate your efforts here ( non ironic comment here )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
Yep, this work too, this section is perfect balance solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.