Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Agents of Mayhem: Pride of Babylon» Forums » General

Subject: Flipping the Bird? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only miniature shown on the Academy Games site is a character that is flipping the bird. Anyone else surprised by this low brow move by Academy Games?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They choose the IP.... (least I assume they agreed to do it) If you know anything about Saint's Row, flipping the bird is the least offensive thing they can do.

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I don't appreciate that kind of thing, I've come to expect it from some publishers. Just thought it was odd, given their catalog of games, that something like that would come from Academy.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They might have to change their motto at the top of the page:

"Fun and Engaging Games that Impart Social and Historical Learning"

I'm not offended by it, but it is the first of their games that I have zero interest in playing.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
They might have to change their motto at the top of the page:

"Fun and Engaging Games that Impart Social and Historical Learning"

I'm not offended by it, but it is the first of their games that I have zero interest in playing.


Precisely.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think they'd have been better off starting another brand for this sort of thing.

I'm glad that their expertise will make this game better, but I'm confused why they're confusing the two market segments. It's really not going to cheer up the people who have been waiting for pre-orders on some games for months past due that this kind of product is getting bashed out in the meantime.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,
I figured I would jump into this discussion and add my thoughts on some of the things brought up here.

-Academy Games is publishing this title under our new Apollo Games division. Apollo Games will publish all of our non-historical titles (even though some claim that non of our titles are historical). It is hard to find good design teams and even harder to find good design teams that know history. Historical Games also take a lot of time to develop since you need to accurately represent the history and not just make a fun game. This is why we started Apollo Games which has its own design team who are not historically minded. It will allow us to release more exciting titles while our historical design teams continue there great work. Apollo Game's project will not effect Academy Games release schedule for this reason.

-Hardtack was the first figure that we had designed and he just happens to be very crudely expressive. We have a number of characters in the game that each have their own personality and we will be posting them in the coming weeks. We hope that everyone can find a character that they can relate too. We understand that Hardtack's gesture is off putting to some but we felt compelled to accurately represent each character just like we do in our historical games.

-We took this Saints Row project because the IP gave us several great ideas that have forced us to really think outside of the box. The game will be as tactical and strategic as any of our historical games but with a lot more narrative and personality. Exploring game designs in fictional settings as Agents of Mayhem will let us explore new game concepts that we hope to use in future historical titles with Academy Games.

We are very excited to launch this game on KS in November and hope you will check it out and support us.

Gunter
Academy Games and Apollo Games
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Miller
United States
Britton
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to trying it out. I'm a fan of your war games and this one looks interesting to me. Good luck in this new direction you're taking with the Apollo line.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Seay
msg tools
mbmbmb
I love the Saints Row world. The sense of humor is def not for everyone. I am looking forward to it myself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
Unfortunately I believe this to be a very poor business decision. Characterizing a crass character does not require such an offensive gesture.

A majority of the venues where I play board games are family friendly and even if I don’t have a problem with it myself, I can’t bring this game to those events without making others uncomfortable.

Being true to the source material is not an excuse. It is not necessary to explicitly describe the true horrors of war in a historical board game.

I am sad to say this will be the first Academy games Kickstarter that I won’t be backing. Just to bad.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Martin
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
I always find this line of complaints fascinating. We have games depicting violence/ultra-Violence, horror, and gore (look at any zombie game practically), but you get a miniature holding up his middle finger and suddenly this game isn't appropriate.

This game is going to be a great design because of who it's coming from, regardless of the theme. It sounds like there will be plenty of characters where this one can be kept in the box forever if you must. I look forward to the freedom Academy is able to have without the constraints of history - this should be exciting!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar

At least in my case the horror and ultra violence games aren't appropriate for those venues either.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceDragonTank wrote:


Unfortunately I believe this to be a very poor business decision. Characterizing a crass character does not require such an offensive gesture.

A majority of the venues where I play board games are family friendly and even if I don’t have a problem with it myself, I can’t bring this game to those events without making others uncomfortable.



SpaceDragonTank wrote:

At least in my case the horror and ultra violence games aren't appropriate for those venues either.


So are you saying the horror and ultra violence games are very poor business decisions as well?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:


So are you saying the horror and ultra violence games are very poor business decisions as well?


Personally, I'm more fascinated about the implication that flipping the bird is in any way, shape or form comparable to "the true horrors of war".

"Oh my god he's got a mouth! He could say a naughty word at any moment! Bring out the mouth disposal team with the armor plated earmuffs! OH MY GOD HE JUST TOLD JOE TO GO FUCK HIMSELF! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

"Command! We need backup! Joe just got mildly annoyed! What am I going to tell his wife?! WE NEED SNIPERS AND TANKS HERE GOSH DARNIT TO HECK!"
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:


So are you saying the horror and ultra violence games are very poor business decisions as well?


Personally, I'm more fascinated about the implication that flipping the bird is in any way, shape or form comparable to "the true horrors of war".

"Oh my god he's got a mouth! He could say a naughty word at any moment! Bring out the mouth disposal team with the armor plated earmuffs! OH MY GOD HE JUST TOLD JOE TO GO FUCK HIMSELF! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

"Command! We need backup! Joe just got mildly annoyed! What am I going to tell his wife?! WE NEED SNIPERS AND TANKS HERE GOSH DARNIT TO HECK!"


Anyone who says that this makes the game unplayable in a family setting really needs to look at what the average family is exposed to. Gone are the days where a child would be terribly scolded for uttering a curseword more severe than "butt". While I'm not advocating the use of fowl language (duck! duck! goose!), most kids know all the swears out there (but maybe not what they mean). A single finger is nowhere near as obscene as it used to be, it no longer has the same shock value that it once held. "Hello", "Goodbye", "Please", "Thank you", and "Go fuck yourself" - these are all appropriate in the correct circumstances. Some of them are interchangeable (depending on the level of sarcasm and who you're saying them to).

Someone's trying to shoot/stab/poison/or generally injure me, I'll make with the swears. I'll make a gesture (or two!). I may even raise my voice.

This game is not for everyone. If it's not for you, you're not the target audience. If it is for you, if you're interested, that's good too. And if you REALLY like the game, and are REALLY offended... Paint it. Give him a papercut, so he's looking at it in shock and disbelief (because that'll definitely explain all the savage language he just used).
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Personally I'd never heard of this company before but when I saw there was a really cool looking miniatures game in the Saints Row universe I came running. I don't really care for historical battle games but this is right up my alley.

So that's at least one new customer!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceDragonTank wrote:

At least in my case the horror and ultra violence games aren't appropriate for those venues either.


Then don't buy the game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Gutermuth
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
uweeickert wrote:

-We took this Saints Row project because the IP gave us several great ideas that have forced us to really think outside of the box.


If it was a real "Saints Row"-Game, I would have backed it.
But "Agents of Mayham"?
Meh...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Plumlee
United States
anna
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yea, I am pretty selective on what I buy for my family to play. I was pretty interested until I saw the dude flipping the bird. Not interested anymore. sobluesoblue
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plumbob72 wrote:
yea, I am pretty selective on what I buy for my family to play. I was pretty interested until I saw the dude flipping the bird. Not interested anymore. sobluesoblue


But you were fine with the guns and explosions and violence?

Interesting.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
laserjudas wrote:
plumbob72 wrote:
yea, I am pretty selective on what I buy for my family to play. I was pretty interested until I saw the dude flipping the bird. Not interested anymore. sobluesoblue


But you were fine with the guns and explosions and violence?

Interesting.


Great point!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also love Saints Row, but haven't played the video game of Agents. Not really into skirmish miniatures either, but this still has piqued my interest.

Anyway, if you have bounced off the game because of the bird, I reckon it's a good thing -- that will save you from worse traumas to come.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to chime in here, we will be doing a "family friendly" add-on. This will supply a set of replacement cards wherein the language has been edited. This is not going to be a full deck replacement, as not every card has strong language.


-Kayla
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
Just to chime in here, we will be doing a "family friendly" add-on. This will supply a set of replacement cards wherein the language has been edited. This is not going to be a full deck replacement, as not every card has strong language.


-Kayla


You know, I'd buy that if you'd make it ultra-saccharine flanderized.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
uweeickert wrote:
Just to chime in here, we will be doing a "family friendly" add-on. This will supply a set of replacement cards wherein the language has been edited. This is not going to be a full deck replacement, as not every card has strong language.


-Kayla


You know, I'd buy that if you'd make it ultra-saccharine flanderized.


And why not? He's quoted as loving the game!

"I sure don't like to babble on, but I sure do like Babylon!" - Ned Flanders
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.