Subject: Entry level SCS game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sewon Kwon
United States
CARSON
California
flag msg tools
WHAT is the entry level standard combat series game??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The all are simple games so none of them would be a bad choice if you are new to war gaming. If you wanted to avoid the more complex games I would avoid any of the larger games like Stalingrad Pocket II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastogne is the one you need.

All the games in the series have a series rules and game rules that explain some particularities and exceptions in the battle.

In Bastogne the game rules actually make the SCS series rules simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend either Karelia 44 or Bastogne as a good fun entry level game for this series.

If you decide you like the series then I strongly recommend It Never Snows,as have had a blast playing this one,both solo and with a large group of players. Days of Days isnt a bad monster SCS game either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k henri
United States
Massachusetts Bay Colony
flag msg tools
This user is a user.
badge
This user authorized the purchase of this OverText for 100 GeekGold.
Not only is Autumn For Barbarossa the least expensive option, it is also one of the best smaller-sized scenarios available. As it is a magazine game, you'll have to print the series rules from the link below, but having recently played it (see here), I can tell you that it makes a great intro to the system.

Good luck!

http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/scs.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Cricket wrote:
Not only is Autumn For Barbarossa the least expensive option, it is also one of the best smaller-sized scenarios available. As it is a magazine game, you'll have to print the series rules from the link below, but having recently played it (see here), I can tell you that it makes a great intro to the system.

Good luck!

GOOD SUGGESTION!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sewon Kwon
United States
CARSON
California
flag msg tools
Sir Cricket wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the recommendation for Autumn For Barbarossa. It's clean, without significant special rules, and it's exciting, and it fits on a single mapsheet, and you can easily play it in a single sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Kishel
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Autumn for Barbarossa too, but I am a bit biased...
But low cost and small size make it a good way to start
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hkishel wrote:
I would recommend Autumn for Barbarossa too, but I am a bit biased...
But low cost and small size make it a good way to start

This game would be your best bet for entry level SCS, as many others have said. Plus you get the magazine with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mintus
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong with Yom Kippur. It has barely 100 pieces per side, and they are not all in play at the same time. Special rules add flavor but are not hard to implement. It is also available cheaply on the secondary market; usually about $20 for a nice copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege would be a good entry level game into the system if you can find it without paying to much. This a very good system, unfortunately some of the more interesting titles are OOP(Afrika (second edition) , Fallschirmjaeger) just to mention a couple and probably never going to see print again from MMP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that a reprint or second edition of Fallschirmjaeger was announced. But well with MMP speed for that it could mean a few more years.

Anyway in my point of view SCS are wargames that could appeal to a wider audience, they are not over complicated and they give you a lot of play options.

Yom Kippur or Bastogne that are a great point of entry in the series should be this kind of games that never should go out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.