Robert Schatzman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
www.BrightTwinGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Game designed for the 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest.

Game Name:
Treasure Tin

Designer:
Robert Schatzman (Bright Twin Games)

Overview:
Dice rolling treasure hunting card game. To win, must get in and out of a ruin comprised of 9 chamber cards and 1 treasure card without your health hitting 0.

# of Players:
Single player, ages 12 and up.

Suggested Play Time:
Approximately 10 minutes.

List of Components:
•7 Item Cards
•6 Treasure Cards
•16 Chamber Cards
•12 Health Tokens (5 x 1, 4 x 5, 2 x 10, and 1 x 20)
•8 Wound Counters (5 x 1, 2 x 5, 1 x 10)
•1 Treasure Token
•1 Player Piece
•4 Six-Sided Dice

Picture(s) - Proof of Concept:

Link to Files (Rules & Components):
Revised Components: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Iqf85MJNpwFKOmAnLBOgnRZwxA...

I have performed a good amount of testing but the game is likely to have some changes. Any testing would be appreciated.

Update I 10-2-2017: Made minor wording changes to instructions and the Jinxed Ruby Treasure Card.

Update II 10-2-2017: Thanks for the advice! Card images changed to have a white box at bottom and text to be black or red. Google drive link has been updated.

Update III 10-9-2017: Made additional changes to the instructions for clarification.

Update IV 10-10-2017: Another slight change to the instructions (google drive link has been updated).

Update V 10-16-17 / 10-17-17: Rules updated again. Google drive updated.

Update VI 11-9-17: Rules update. Google drive updated.

Update VII 11-18-2017: Contest Ready! Thank you for all the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
Currently working on: Tinmates
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Treasure Tin - Tin Mint Design Contest 2017 (Components Ready)
Hi Robert,

I was going to download and print your game to test but after looking at the cards I know already that I'll have a lot of difficulty reading them and I know this will affect my opinion of the game!

Could I make a suggestion - perhaps you could put all the text into a white box so it isn't made difficult to read by the background images. I know this may be a lot of work but I'm sure that others will feel the same as me and will be put off by the hard to read text.

Let me know once the text is more readable and I'll happily give it a go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats on your game and assembling such interesting card art. Perhaps a text box with a light grey using a transparency effect will work for you. Simple black text gives a clean look and the feel of the artwork showing thru is retained.

Being a solo game makes it easier for a lonesome gamer like me to get this to my table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schatzman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
www.BrightTwinGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon_Milburn wrote:
Hi Robert,

I was going to download and print your game to test but after looking at the cards I know already that I'll have a lot of difficulty reading them and I know this will affect my opinion of the game!

Could I make a suggestion - perhaps you could put all the text into a white box so it isn't made difficult to read by the background images. I know this may be a lot of work but I'm sure that others will feel the same as me and will be put off by the hard to read text.

Simon,

Thanks for the advice. I have updated the cards to have a white box and black or red text at the bottom. Please let me know if this seems better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schatzman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
www.BrightTwinGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
GarryHoddinott wrote:
congrats on your game and assembling such interesting card art. Perhaps a text box with a light grey using a transparency effect will work for you. Simple black text gives a clean look and the feel of the artwork showing thru is retained.

Being a solo game makes it easier for a lonesome gamer like me to get this to my table.

Thanks! I tried transparency effects but the darker images still took away from text legibility at approximately 50% and the contrast was too much at 75%. So I decided to adjust image sizes and just have a white box at the bottom. Let me know if this takes away from the original card look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
Currently working on: Tinmates
mbmbmbmbmb
Masinko wrote:
Simon_Milburn wrote:
Hi Robert,

Simon,

Thanks for the advice. I have updated the cards to have a white box and black or red text at the bottom. Please let me know if this seems better.

Great, looks much better! will be sure to PnP when I get a chance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schatzman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
www.BrightTwinGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting mixed reviews on card designs when it comes to the full artwork versus the white box (links in the first post). Let me know which you like better in the poll below.

Poll
Do you prefer the Full Illustration art work (Original Layout) or the White Box (Revised Components) for game cards?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Full Illustration
25.0% 1
White Box
75.0% 3
Voters 4
This poll is now closed.   4 answers
Poll created by Masinko
Closes: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schatzman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
www.BrightTwinGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated the rules some more. Game play remains the same, just clarifying game mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harshad Deshmukh
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Robert, I went through the rules - the game looks fun! Here are a few comments on the rules:

“On the way down, roll 1 six-sided die for the Encounter at each Chamber
along the first row. Add an additional six-sided die for the Encounter when you move to
a new row of Chambers on the way to the treasure.”

This isn’t instantly clear to me. I understand it like this:

1. First row, First chamber - roll 1 die
2. First row, second chamber - roll 2 dice
3. First row, third chamber - roll three dice
4. Second row, all chambers - roll 4 dice
4. Third row, all chambers - roll 5 dice

Is this correct?

“After you complete an Encounter, move to the next Chamber. No damage taken or
wound received will outweigh the value of that treasure.”

I think this is just flavour text? I would suggest putting all flavour text italics or different colour so that it is clear it is not part of rules.

Some typos:

Giant-Spiders card - It is currently Gaint Spiders

Also, you haven't explicitly mentioned how many dice would be required for the game - maybe mentioning that could help?

Cheers, Harshad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schatzman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
www.BrightTwinGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
uberjoker wrote:
Hi Robert, I went through the rules - the game looks fun! Here are a few comments on the rules:

“On the way down, roll 1 six-sided die for the Encounter at each Chamber
along the first row. Add an additional six-sided die for the Encounter when you move to
a new row of Chambers on the way to the treasure.”

This isn’t instantly clear to me. I understand it like this:

1. First row, First chamber - roll 1 die
2. First row, second chamber - roll 2 dice
3. First row, third chamber - roll three dice
4. Second row, all chambers - roll 4 dice
4. Third row, all chambers - roll 5 dice

Is this correct?

“After you complete an Encounter, move to the next Chamber. No damage taken or
wound received will outweigh the value of that treasure.”

I think this is just flavour text? I would suggest putting all flavour text italics or different colour so that it is clear it is not part of rules.

Some typos:

Giant-Spiders card - It is currently Gaint Spiders

Also, you haven't explicitly mentioned how many dice would be required for the game - maybe mentioning that could help?

Cheers, Harshad

Harshad,

Thank you for the review!

1 die is rolled for the first 3 chambers along the top row. Then 2 dice for the next 3 chambers in the middle row. Lastly, 3 dice for all remaining chambers.

There is a treasure card that can make the game take up to 4 dice.

I'll update the rules to make that clearer.

Yes, the bold 'No damage taken...' is flavor text. I'll separate from rules.

Giant Spider card has been fixed. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schatzman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
www.BrightTwinGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I made more changes to the instructions for clarification. Thanks again for pointing out the problem areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Núria Casellas
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Robert,

nice game!

I believe that it would help to provide simpler lists in the rulebook, such as:

row 1 --> roll 1 dice
row 2 --> roll 2 dice
row 3 --> roll 3 dice

For further clarification, I would add the name "row 1", etc. in the image of the board itself.

With regards to the rules themselves, I am not sure I understand the following sentence clearly:

"For each wound counter (start with 0 wounds) you have, lose 1
health point every time you move your Player Piece to a new location."

So if I am damaged after an encounter, I take that same damage after moving? If I have 5 wounds, then it seems that I take 5 more wounds when moving to a new location. Is that correct? I apologise if I misunderstood it, it just seems a lot of damage

With regards to the encounter, I would recommend describing the encounter, and how it is generally resolved. It seems insufficient at the moment:

- roll the X dice
- ?

Finally, the treasure. I am not sure what happens to the treasure according to the description. You indicate first that there's no need to "look closely", I imagine you mean that the player takes it even if it has a negative effect. I would try to reword that so the "story" does not clash with the "rules" explanation.

You add a line that indicates "make sure you don’t lose that treasure (or the bad effect it has)". Can you lose the treasure? How? Is that a location/roll effect? What does that exactly mean in gameplay? When and how does the effect of the treasure get triggered?

I think it's a fun game and I'd like to play it! I hope that my questions towards clarification are useful.

Núria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schatzman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
www.BrightTwinGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
nucaica wrote:
Hi Robert,

nice game!

I believe that it would help to provide simpler lists in the rulebook, such as:

row 1 --> roll 1 dice
row 2 --> roll 2 dice
row 3 --> roll 3 dice

For further clarification, I would add the name "row 1", etc. in the image of the board itself.

With regards to the rules themselves, I am not sure I understand the following sentence clearly:

"For each wound counter (start with 0 wounds) you have, lose 1
health point every time you move your Player Piece to a new location."

So if I am damaged after an encounter, I take that same damage after moving? If I have 5 wounds, then it seems that I take 5 more wounds when moving to a new location. Is that correct? I apologise if I misunderstood it, it just seems a lot of damage

With regards to the encounter, I would recommend describing the encounter, and how it is generally resolved. It seems insufficient at the moment:

- roll the X dice
- ?

Finally, the treasure. I am not sure what happens to the treasure according to the description. You indicate first that there's no need to "look closely", I imagine you mean that the player takes it even if it has a negative effect. I would try to reword that so the "story" does not clash with the "rules" explanation.

You add a line that indicates "make sure you don’t lose that treasure (or the bad effect it has)". Can you lose the treasure? How? Is that a location/roll effect? What does that exactly mean in gameplay? When and how does the effect of the treasure get triggered?

I think it's a fun game and I'd like to play it! I hope that my questions towards clarification are useful.

Núria

Hey Núria,

Thank you for the feedback! I believe making the rules clear is a good way to go. I will work on simplifying the rules soon.

You gain a wound counter anytime you roll a die value that gives a wound. If you have any wound counters, you take 1 damage whenever you move your player piece. This damage occurs separately from the directly taken encounter damage. For example: You roll three dice. Two have a value that corresponds to 2 damage and 1 has a value that gives a wound. You would take 4 damage (2 times 2) directly and if this is your only wound (1 wound counter), take an additional 1 damage when you move to the next location (chamber). Thus you would take 5 damage in all before rolling for the next encounter.

Regarding the "no need to look closely" line, I was trying to continue with the story-ish instruction style. I may need to reword (as suggested) or further separate the flavor text (with more italics). There is no way to lose the treasure once collected, it was just more story lingo to say don't let it go just because it may get you killed.

I hope you do enjoy it if you get a chance to play the game! Feel free to ask any more questions you may have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schatzman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
www.BrightTwinGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated the rules again. Please let me know if they are easier to read and clear on what to do. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schatzman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
www.BrightTwinGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated picture of cards for Contest Ready: