Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a player has gained the initiative and chosen to move units on the map, rule 7.4 (1) states that some or all units in one OZ can move.

Rule 7.5 (1) refers to a GROUP of moving units. They must stay together and if they enter an OZ with enemy units rule 7.5 (3) states that the moving units must stop, resolve combat, and the Strategy Phase ends.

So my question is how many GROUPS can the units in an OZ form? Can a dozen units form 4 groups?

It is clear that when a group enters an OZ with enemy present, the Strategy Phase ends.

If a player formed 4 groups out of 12 units in an OZ, the first three groups moved could enter OZs without the enemy present and the fourth group moved, if it entered an enemy occupied OZ, would cause the end of the phase. Moving the group to an enemy occupied OZ first would end movement for all the units.

But all this that I'm wondering about depends on what a GROUP is. I couldn't find where GROUP is defined in the rules.

Comments. Opinions. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eltorosailor wrote:
After a player has gained the initiative and chosen to move units on the map, rule 7.4 (1) states that some or all units in one OZ can move.

Rule 7.5 (1) refers to a GROUP of moving units. They must stay together and if they enter an OZ with enemy units rule 7.5 (3) states that the moving units must stop, resolve combat, and the Strategy Phase ends.

So my question is how many GROUPS can the units in an OZ form? Can a dozen units form 4 groups?

It is clear that when a group enters an OZ with enemy present, the Strategy Phase ends.

If a player formed 4 groups out of 12 units in an OZ, the first three groups moved could enter OZs without the enemy present and the fourth group moved, if it entered an enemy occupied OZ, would cause the end of the phase. Moving the group to an enemy occupied OZ first would end movement for all the units.

But all this that I'm wondering about depends on what a GROUP is. I couldn't find where GROUP is defined in the rules.

Based on the movement example on page 15, I believe one can only move 1 group during one execute strategy round. So, if as in your example you divided 12 units, in one OZ, into 4 groups each group would have to move in a separate execute strategy round. In this case "group" is the units from one OZ that you have chosen to move in that execute strategy round to the same destination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwboone wrote:
eltorosailor wrote:

Based on the movement example on page 15, I believe one can only move 1 group during one execute strategy round. So, if as in your example you divided 12 units, in one OZ, into 4 groups each group would have to move in a separate execute strategy round. In this case "group" is the units from one OZ that you have chosen to move in that execute strategy round to the same destination.

Thank you for your response.

I saw that final sentence of the Example on page 15 too and thought that my question had been answered.

It is clear that one movement group can only go to one destination OZ. So instead of forming one group which would need to drop off the Hyuga as in the example (and can't), I would form two groups, one to move the Hyuga and one to move the Kumano, each group going to one OZ.

Can you only form one group to move in a Strategy Round?

And when that group moves into an enemy OZ, it not only ends that Strategy Round, but also the entire Strategy Phase.

Too bad such important rules are a not stated clearly, but rather put in an example.

I'm still wondering what a GROUP is as mentioned in rule 7.5 (1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Can you only form one group to move in a Strategy Round?"

Yes. One group to one destination per 7.4 & 7.5.

Section 7.4
Players can do one of the following:
1. Move Naval Units: Select one OZ in which
the player has naval units on their Ready side
and the player can move some or all of them
(see 7.5). Naval units that moved are turned
to their Ops Complete side...

7.5 Naval Movement
1. A group of moving naval units can only move
together towards the same destination (you
cannot split the moving units so they end up
in different OZs)...

Quote:
"I'm still wondering what a GROUP is as mentioned in rule 7.5 (1). "

The GROUP are those units, from one OZ, that you chose to move that Strategy Round, per 7.4.

Quote:
"And when that group moves into an enemy OZ, it not only ends that Strategy Round, but also the entire Strategy Phase."

The rule says "his Strategy Phase" but I think it should be "his Strategy Round". 7.1 says only both players passing or a tied Initiative die roll ends the Strategy Phase.

7.5 Naval Movement
3. Naval units that move to an OZ where there
is an enemy naval unit(s) or LBA have to end
their movement there and resolve combat.
The player who is executing a Strategy now
has his Strategy Phase end.

7.1 Initiative
During the Strategy Phase the players take turns
determining initiative and executing actions.
This is called a Strategy Round, and the players
execute their Strategies until a dice-roll ends the
phase (see 7.1.4) or both players pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your comments John.

7.5 (1) is clear about moving a group together to one destination, but I think there could be more than one moving group, each to its own destination. It is common in area movement games to activate an area and the units burst out from there in many directions. So maybe it is just the movement to combat that ends all movement. If more than one group is formed, only one can cause combat.

If a player only gets to move one group per round, it seems that any move, to an enemy OZ or not enemy OZ, would end the Strategy Round. I don't understand why a move to combat is emphasized to end the Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.