BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Theory

Subject: Board game with a soccer theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
henk henkerson
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm thinking of creating a board game around a 'soccer' theme. So far i'm thinking about implementing the next things:
*A transfer system
*A card system to boost your players
*A chess/checkers like way to play the actual soccer game
*Basically 2 phases: a midweek phase in which you prepare for the match, and a weekend phase in which you play the matches.
*Hiring staff
*Closing sponsor deals.

These are just some 'first ideas' so far. My question to you guys basically is: What would YOU like to see in a soccer board/card game?

Thx in advance,
Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The description made me think of Time of Soccer. One of the best football management game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
Check out Stefan Feld's Spiel mit Lukas: Dribbel-Fieber for some more ideas. It's a great game, especially with the advanced rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marronigus wrote:
The description made me think of Time of Soccer. One of the best football management game in my opinion.

Yep, the description sounds almost exactly like Time of Soccer.

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a balance that must be decided. Do you want the game to be about team management or about simulating a soccer game.

1. If you want the game to be about team management (acquiring, developing and trading players) then you want the game to last 10 or 20 seasons. In that case, individual games should last less than 30 seconds (and you should only have a handful of games per season).

2. If you want the game to be about one soccer game, then your aim is for each soccer game to last 20 minutes to a maximum of 2 hours. If you play only one or two or three soccer games in a sitting then there should be no team management in the game. You go with the players you have. (you could have a draft beforehand).

3. You can have some type of compromise in between the two extremes above.

Before you go on, you should clearly decide what you are aiming at. I don't think that there is much demand for a non computer multiseason league with individual games lasting an hour or more. That type of game is more suited to the internet in my opinion (where people can play each evening and a bot can replace you when you are busy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.